All comes at once - DIY: SAI, DRC, Oil cooler, Carbon clean, Fan, Tyres, Paint Corrosion, Injector Service

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
r8wut
1st Gear

Re: All comes at once - DIY: SAI, DRC, Oil cooler, Carbon clean, Fan, Tyres, Paint Corrosion, Injector Service

Post by r8wut » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:14 pm

lugars4 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:12 am
I actually found this method best for me, contrary to many ideas of soak first.
I found soaking and digging about made a hugh gunky mess, harder to extract.

These were great, long picks. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
  • Pick the heavy carbon off, dry, and hoover / blow it out. Gets maybe 50% off. Big chunks on mine.
  • Spray and pick / scrub with the Liqui Moly spray, gets its looking much better.
Funnily enough, used the exact same long picks - very handy and agree, far easier to remove the large carbon deposits whilst dry.
I then used the carb cleaner spray in conjunction with long cotton buds to clean in and around the inlet ports and valves.

lugars4
3rd Gear

Re: All comes at once - DIY: SAI, DRC, Oil cooler, Carbon clean, Fan, Tyres, Paint Corrosion, Injector Service

Post by lugars4 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:03 pm

JamesBaby wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:24 am
Good work cleaning up the shafts. I detailed a similar procedure in my thread when I did my CC last January. By cleaning the shafts I removed the play that was in them so they functioned correctly. I also added the 034 Motorsport billet intake arms.

However I loctited the screws for the flaps in and the inlet plugs, so on my next carbon clean in a few weeks I won't be undoing them. I will get a chance to inspect the screws and flaps however to ensure they are firm etc.
Sounds good. Yes loctite on screws and adding a drop to the core plugs as well (different grade loctite, just to be sure)

Not much play in my arms / shafts. Was prepared to shim the arm/shaft joints, but not looking necessary. Only on 65k miles so guess it wasnt expected to be bad.
06 - B7 RS4 Saloon - Milltek Non-Res Valved. BMC Filter.

lugars4
3rd Gear

Post by lugars4 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:57 pm

Injector flow testing results back.

Good news, they all passed and my home Ultrasonic cleaning worked as the before / after cleaning results they performed showed no different.

But

With one new injector in the mix, there is a flow tolerance that i am not happy with.
So decision to be made, purchase more new injectors in the most likely....
Injector flow test.JPG
Wonder if new injectors vs 65k miles flow less and are expect to, or the new part number "AB" vs "D" suffix meant a small change in flow characteistics, or this is just manufacturing tolerances.
I think i will have to use injectors 1, 3, 4, 8 as a good set, then purchase 3 more and make a set of the rest (if luckly).
Injecotrs 1348.JPG
This is potentially an endless game now, you could buy a whole stock of injectors and not get a good set within 2%....
But as it stands, the best i could match would be this, 4% on first 4 and 6% on the other. Not good enough. #2 needs to go. Then it will depend what the new ones come back (with yet more testing costs on top), i wonder how sensitive the car is, why do MRC target 1%? https://mrctuning.com/site/servicing/#injectors
Injector best poss.JPG

lugars4
3rd Gear

Post by lugars4 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:00 pm

Went for a new front grill, mine was bubbling and ruined the look.
2024-02-06 18.15.47.jpg
Cleaned and re-used the front badge, this stuff is great for plastic restoration i hear, looks good so far getting the faded plastic back to life.
2024-02-06 18.12.17.jpg

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:04 am

Regarding injectors I recently had 8 refurbed and they came out really well. I'll be doing a carbon clean around the 21st Feb and swapping them out. So I'll be sending my existing 8 for refurb too. Depending on results we may be able to get you closer.

lugars4
3rd Gear

Post by lugars4 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:57 pm

Interesting, thanks.

Be interested to know where you had them done and what the results were?

delroyx
1st Gear

Post by delroyx » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:03 pm

How much was the grille? Did you buy the whole lot? I always thought they were very expensive compared to non-RS ones

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:53 am

lugars4 wrote:Interesting, thanks.

Here is my test report before and after. I had them done at Decimal Tenths in Newcastle.

By pairing them equally I can get both banks to 0.5% of each other if my maths are correct. (1181,1181,1154 in each bank then the final two split into the banks).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lugars4
3rd Gear

Post by lugars4 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:09 am

delroyx wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:03 pm
How much was the grille? Did you buy the whole lot? I always thought they were very expensive compared to non-RS ones
Friend got it for me £500, complete yes. will sell my one on for £250 going by ebay prices. So not horrific.... Buy yes expensive...

lugars4
3rd Gear

Post by lugars4 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:17 am

JamesBaby wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:53 am
lugars4 wrote:Interesting, thanks.

Here is my test report before and after. I had them done at Decimal Tenths in Newcastle.

By pairing them equally I can get both banks to 0.5% of each other if my maths are correct. (1181,1181,1154 in each bank then the final two split into the banks).

Great results.

Ive spoken to a different company to the one i used, it appears back flushing is critical to getting them back in spec, they say it can take several flushes to get them back to a good spec. I dont beleive the co i used did any back flushing.

So i will have to get them re-tested.
The problem i think i will have is the new injector may never match 3 used ones well enough, for reasons of age and batch variation on new injectors.
So safest bet is to purchase 3 more new injectors, and test all 11 to find the best mix, expecting the 4 new ones to make a set.

It is a worry that my used ones came back with a tested flow variation of 6% and the company were happy to send them back like that without further discussion.
Get what you pay for..... Those were tested for £14 each. The next co are looking at £23 with new metal filters fitted, back flushing (Properly) and without changing seals (i already have them).

lugars4
3rd Gear

Post by lugars4 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:46 am

Goodridge braided hoses getting added as well now, and some MOTUL RBF600 fluid.
2024-02-18 08.31.24.jpg
BIt more detailing ready for new grill and bumper assembly.
The C4 brings them up nicely. Hopefully it lasts as well as people say (upto 2 years)
2024-02-18 08.30.26.jpg

lugars4
3rd Gear

Post by lugars4 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:01 pm

Manifold rebuild complete:
First, i did decide to take the play out of one of the shaft arms, one was tight so wanted them the same.
0.002" shim cut and secured onto the shaft with adhesive to stop it sliding out. Perfect fit and took all the play out.
You can see it here, on the top of the shaft sprocket. placed here it takes the play out evenly in both directions of travel.
2024-02-18 17.57.19.jpg
Added some flange sealant to the bottom gasket, its metal so in good condition, but cant hurt to make a perfect seal:
2024-02-18 18.36.40.jpg
Flap screws loctite 243, core plugs 603 high strength:
2024-02-18 18.49.40.jpg
2024-02-18 18.59.28.jpg
Valve replaced as recommended by many. No listed on Audi part system ,they only sell the hose assembly, but it has its own PN on it, which you can buy just listed for other models: 046 905 291A. I purchased 2 by mistake if anyone needs one, or will stick on Ebay.
2024-02-18 19.18.56.jpg
And to finish it off, the RS logo needed its red paint re-doing, purchased a touch up pen kit in Audi red:
2024-02-18 19.39.58.jpg

r8wut
1st Gear

Post by r8wut » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:31 pm

Great work there and nice to see someone at a similar stage to me also..

Just been side tracked with other work for some weeks.. but Manifold is also off, only difference is I'll be de-flapping mine and getting a MRC tune after.

Nice work with the injectors.. did you manage to get flow-matched sets in the end?

Apparently, there are even differences between the revised Audi OE injectors and Hitachi injectors (even though same manufacturer) .. with the latter showing lower max flow rates :?:

lugars4
3rd Gear

Post by lugars4 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:48 pm

Flow testing and matching next week.

Going with 4x new and 4x cleaned injectors. Will be interesteing to see the difference.
On the first test the new injector did flow less than all 7 other cleaned originals.... So thanks for sharing that pont too, will report back.
Happy i wont be mixing new and old on the same bank / ecu if they do flow that different.

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:26 am

I have 8 ready to sell in case you were interested in matching.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”