Flickering/weak connection to rear number plate and side light bulbs?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
chive90
1st Gear

Flickering/weak connection to rear number plate and side light bulbs?

Post by chive90 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:27 pm

Bit of an odd one, but noticed a couple of times that the right side numberplate bulb is weaker than the left side - put it down to just needing a new bulb. Sometimes it will go out completely and I'll get a notification on the DIS, other times it's on but just not as bright as the left side.

However, I've since noticed that the right side tailight (the one that's part of the bootlid) is also not as bright as the left and upon closer inspection, also looks to be flickering between a weak and normal connection a bit like the number plate bulb.

Is this likely to be a loom issue as they are next to eachother? Is this a common problem on the B7? Anything I can do to test/check?

Thanks

stuartbarriskell
4th Gear

Re: Flickering/weak connection to rear number plate and side light bulbs?

Post by stuartbarriskell » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:41 am

Replace with a new set of LEDS.. for number plate
Last edited by stuartbarriskell on Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current stable: B8 RS4.
13 BMW HP4 Track/Road
21 BMW S1000RR Sold
04 ZX 10R Sold
MV Agusta Reparto Corse Sold
GoneB7 RS4
Gone B7 S4
Gone 1.8 T
Gone A3

chive90
1st Gear

Post by chive90 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:24 pm

stuartbarriskell wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:41 am
Replace with a new set of LEDS..
Will that solve the issue if it's loom related though?

I did have my eye on these (https://www.emtuning.co.uk/product/emt- ... y-05-09-2/) as I've seen people recommend them, but currently out of stock.
Is something similar available for the boot lid tail lights? I don't want anything tacky, needs to be OEM looking!

Thanks

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:26 pm

I had this issue on my Avant for a few years as well. New bulbs didn't fix it. Check for corrosion on the metal bulb contacts. In my case, I think there is a problem with the wiring loom, as since it came out the body Shop (full panels off) the right number plate light, rear main light and boot lock don't work!
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

chive90
1st Gear

Post by chive90 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:41 pm

coffey555 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:26 pm
I had this issue on my Avant for a few years as well. New bulbs didn't fix it. Check for corrosion on the metal bulb contacts. In my case, I think there is a problem with the wiring loom, as since it came out the body Shop (full panels off) the right number plate light, rear main light and boot lock don't work!
Yeah I did suspect that it might be complex and not as easy as replacing a couple of bulbs! I've heard horror stories about these Audi Canbus lines/modules that control the electrics for the whole car. I've read stuff like how a faulty inflating drivers seat bolster can make a passenger door or boot to not lock, for instance. Sounds a bit similar to your issue.

Not sure how to really investigate my light issue, worry it'll just be opening a can of worms. Guess in the first instance I can check for corrosion on the metal bulb contacts as per your suggestion - thanks.

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:52 pm

I think the fact that it is happening on the number plate lights, and the rear cluster implies that it's a wiring loom\earth issue. So start with the connectors to make sure they are sound. Then follow the loom along and see if there is an issue somewhere.

js47
Neutral

Post by js47 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:27 pm

I had a similar problem with a flickering right rear light (no issues with the number plate light though). I had some gunk inside the ground terminal of the wiring connector between the car and light housing. Cleaning that out has solved the problem so far.
2007 RS4 Avant in "Cherry Black Pearl" with Carbon Ceramic brakes. MRC Stage 2.

taylora
1st Gear

Post by taylora » Wed Apr 26, 2023 11:11 pm

had similar, ended up replacing the bulbs
not very expensive <£10 from your favourite online Shop. very standard audi part.
as per another suggestion well worth taking the existing ones out and check for gunk and give the contacts a scrape until they look shiny and new.

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:12 pm

My issue has finally been fixed with a new plastic strip housing that the boot handle/number plate lights sit in!
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

chive90
1st Gear

Post by chive90 » Mon May 01, 2023 3:57 pm

Cheers All. I really need to get round to having a deeper look at this. I really hope it's just the bulbs or gunk that needs clearing out and nothing more sinister like a wider loom issue.
coffey555 wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:12 pm
My issue has finally been fixed with a new plastic strip housing that the boot handle/number plate lights sit in!
Nice one! I did think this could be a cause too. What was the part number out of interest, in case I need to source one.

Thanks

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”