Exhausting Work

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
fazily
Neutral

Exhausting Work

Post by fazily » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:13 pm

Lets hear your B7 RS4's!

I have the flaps open and resonator removed, sound clip below!
I may be getting old though as the cold starts in my close sound a bit too much so considering activating the flaps again.

throw a video up of yours and just list what you have done!

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0e8l_mb ... 1y0R0FGc7Q

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Re: Exhausting Work

Post by JamesBaby » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:13 am

I'm planning the same mod to my car but after hearing cold start, it will be too loud for my estate too. I need to free up my flaps first as they are blanked open and now seized no doubt. If I can't free them then its new exhaust time I think.

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:29 am

I have the same setup on mine...... cold start is a little bit noisy! But that is the only time this setup has too much volume.

Funny enough I am going to reinstate my exhaust valves but this time in conjunction with an aftermarket controller:

https://www.special-exhausts.de/shop/en ... -Audi-RS5/

This will allow me to keep (what is for me) the perfect setup whilst having the option of a quieter start when cold.

Completely reversible as well unlike a remap with a cold start delete (I want to keep the stock tune).

Just need to get the bloody flaps moving again!
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

fazily
Neutral

Post by fazily » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:05 am

JamesBaby wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:13 am
I'm planning the same mod to my car but after hearing cold start, it will be too loud for my estate too. I need to free up my flaps first as they are blanked open and now seized no doubt. If I can't free them then its new exhaust time I think.
honestly, every time I start it, I feel myself sink a little deeper into the buckets LOL - outside of the close I love the extra V8 noise, it's such a deep burble!
My valves are pretty much stuck open too me thinks, I did think about hitting them with some carb-cleaning solution to clear the carbon buildup and then ultimately free them up.

Also saw a pair of back boxes on eBay for around £100, was thinking worst case I can replace and reinstate the vacuum lines.
coffey555 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:29 am
I have the same setup on mine...... cold start is a little bit noisy! But that is the only time this setup has too much volume.

Funny enough I am going to reinstate my exhaust valves but this time in conjunction with an aftermarket controller:

https://www.special-exhausts.de/shop/en ... -Audi-RS5/

This will allow me to keep (what is for me) the perfect setup whilst having the option of a quieter start when cold.

Completely reversible as well unlike a remap with a cold start delete (I want to keep the stock tune).

Just need to get the bloody flaps moving again!
That's not a bad shout, kinda want to keep the oem-ness of the valves being operated via the S button.

After my engine was rebuilt and ready to go back into the chassis, the mechanic suggested removing all cat's from the system - boy am I glad I didn't go down that route, can only imagine how loud that would have been!

Drove the car into London this morning, the cold start at home did make me think it was too loud but hearing the V8 noise echo off the buildings was lovely.
I feel (i know i am getting old) res-delete with working flaps is probably the best compromise.

SeikoKid
Neutral

Post by SeikoKid » Tue May 16, 2023 10:53 pm

Mine is OEM with flaps well and truly stuck open with no option of changing that
Resonator removed and front cats removed. I had the flexis replaced and the boys lifted the whole exhaust system up further into the space so it doesn’t catch anymore

I had no interest in aftermarket exhaust , just can just play around with the perfectly good one on the car

It’s lowered on B14 and MRC have stage 2’d it and removed the cold start etc

S button makes it a different car altogether now, very lively indeed and turns the exhaust sound into a screemin banchi. The pop and crackle is insane

Removing the cold start makes it much quieter at 6am

highrise
1st Gear

Post by highrise » Wed May 17, 2023 1:00 pm

Hi,

Does the S button impact the sound if the exhaust valves are stuck open?

Not trying to be a smart ass just genuinely interested as I didn't think that was how the S button worked.

I have the same issue with stuck open exhaust values and was under the impression the S button just:

- Opened the exhaust valves
- Inflated the side bolsters (unless turned off in menu)
- Changed the throttle sensitivity/mapping? (I've heard yes/no on this, but sure it makes a difference)

Is that correct?

I'm sure I've read a thread on this to answer my question but couldn't find it.

Cheers

SeikoKid
Neutral

Post by SeikoKid » Wed May 17, 2023 8:24 pm

Yes to the 3 questions

however standard mapping still
limits the power output in the first 3-4 gears i believe
so you will never get full use of the engine

my exhaust valves have always been stuck open but i’m fully tuned and want the noise. Otherwise i would have kept the c250 diesel estate

I don’t miss the cold start

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”