High Mileage RS4's how much is too much

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
CSK423
Neutral

High Mileage RS4's how much is too much

Post by CSK423 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:49 pm

Looking at picking up a modern classic with a budget of low teens. This end of the Market tends to get you an Avant with around 140k miles or a saloon with around 100k miles.

There is a particular avant which has had a comprehensive list of maintenance and preventative work done (flap delete, Bilsteins fitted, oil cooler, clutch, brakes etc.) including a full respray. No Buckets but does have an exclusive interior.

At what point does 140k miles become irrelevant ? My plan is to keep this for a number of years with 1-2k miles a year.

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Re: High Mileage RS4's how much is too much

Post by JamesBaby » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:18 pm

If the engine is running fine which can be checked with a compression test etc, and the gearbox is fine, the rest is just general maintenance.

You know the big ticket items and if they are already done that is very good.

Vik87
Neutral

Post by Vik87 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:00 am

I've had a few low-ish mileage ones circa 60-70k and my own personal one has 109k, in all honesty it just depends on which big ticket items have been done. I deliberately purchased a higher mileage one for myself as i tend to drive it alot but i made sure the oil cooler was done, carbon clean was done and the drc deleted. I'm still on the original clutch and haven't had any issues. The buckets were a deal breaker for me but if the price of the one you've mentioned is decent then go for it bud. The non-bucket seats are a lot more comfortable.
'

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:52 pm

Check for corrosion underneath the various underside trays and sideskirts. It varies greatly depending on where in the country the car has been used/how it has been stored.

This is now becoming as important as the service history. It may look nice and shiny on top with a full service book but if it is a rusty turd underneath it's not going to last very long!

Personally I always buy on condition/service history vs low owners and less mileage but everyone is different.

My car came with comforts but I swapped to buckets later on. Both are excellent in different ways. If the rest of the car is good don't let that put you off.

You can always change them at a later date.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”