B7 RS4 new pistons!!

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Macson
Neutral

B7 RS4 new pistons!!

Post by Macson » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:02 am

Hi

Has anyone on the forum extended the block bore diameter by .5 mm bringing the bore out to 85mm, if so did you find a company supplying a 85mm forged piston & 92.8 mm rod kit that works.
I need to bring the bore out slightly as my Ive had some mild scoring within the bores.
Trying to firstly go this route rather than sleeves, want to do this to keep the Alusil finish, Audi have spent alot of R&D on such a finish to throw cast sleeves in would be the second option if I cannot source the mentioned spec pistons required.

A word of caution, if you happen to own a B7 RS4 with high mileage and you don't know when it's oil pump was last changed I would recommend getting a new one fitted to avoid a catastrophic engine failure with very little warning!

Cheers.

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Re: B7 RS4 new pistons!!

Post by JamesBaby » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:24 am

Hi. Sorry to hear of your problems. I can't answer your piston questions but would like to know more about the oil pump issues. I've not heard of them failing before, or people changing them. They seem to be a very expensive part too at around £560. How did yours fail and what mileage?

Is it engine out to replace them?

Macson
Neutral

Post by Macson » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:52 am

Hey Mate

The car has 233,000kms on the clock, perfect service history.
It is a weekend car as I'm in a work vehicle mon-fri.
Oil pump seized with no warning, overtaking a line of cars in the fast lane doing 110kph.
The cost of a new oil pump is pittance in comparison to what I'm looking at now and had someone pointed it out to me as a word of warning I would have taken heed and changed it, even if i heard a whisper or story of the engine failure Ive just had, I would have changed it, hindsight is a wonderful thing though.
A new oil pump is a small price for piece of mind honestly.
Like I said no warning untill I heard a slight rattle while in the fast lane, next thing was the dash warning light for low oil pressure, by the time I could get back across to the hard shoulder the knocking was severe, end of show.

Macson
Neutral

Post by Macson » Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:57 am

My Mechanic had the engine out, not sure if it's a complete engine out job just for the oil pump.
Some others might have further knowledge of that question.
Cheers

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”