Bilstein B8 dampers fitted as replacement for DRC

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Burty
Neutral

Bilstein B8 dampers fitted as replacement for DRC

Post by Burty » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:39 pm

After 126,000 miles my DRC finally failed, given away by what sounded like golf clubs rattling in the boot. I bought the car at 76K miles and as far as I could establish from Audi it hadn't had any DRC parts replaced before then so I guess the original system did pretty well.

Had the car transported by the RAC to Martin at Unit20 for his evaluation and recommendation. Simply put, the DRC would have needed £3-4K to replace most of the pipework and knackered damper units so I took Martin's advice to have a full set of Bilstein B8s fitted.

I am delighted with the result - my car has Suspension Plus so it is naturally firmer than standard so my aim was to match the original ride/handling and avoid an even firmer ride. The car now feels as it did when I first bought it - minimal body roll and a very compliant ride even on our crappy roads.

I'm not sure who else on this forum has gone that exact route - I searched for B8 posts but didn't find anything. I have read most of the relevant posts on the subject including other Bilstein units and of course KW and Koni alternatives so this is me throwing my hat in the ring for others to consider.

While the car was being fixed I asked them to investigate a weird creaking noise under hard braking - turned out to be the front subframe bolts needed tightening which was a whole lot better than bushes or arms needing replacement.

dan32v
Neutral

Re: Bilstein B8 dampers fitted as replacement for DRC

Post by dan32v » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:50 am

Super! It seems that the B8 Bilstein for the RS4 B7 has been studied recently. It is even significantly cheaper than the usual

PSS9 or KW V3. Personally this solution would be more suitable for my driving.

I will take this solution the day my DRC is dead, for now, 179000 km and DRC still operational...amazing but true !

Thank you for your feedback. ( I am french, translated online )

Burty
Neutral

Re: Bilstein B8 dampers fitted as replacement for DRC

Post by Burty » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:20 pm

Hi

DRC at 111,000 miles is pretty impressive assuming it hasn't been repaired earlier in its life.

Good luck with the B8s when you reach the same situation as I did.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”