Considerations for Startup after Long Shutdown

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
QuRace
Neutral

Considerations for Startup after Long Shutdown

Post by QuRace » Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:03 pm

The RS4 has been parked for quite a while now (almost a year - don't ask...).

Storage has been dry, w/ tank filled up & battery disconnected. The car is in very good shape, generally (55.000 kms, burns no oil whatsoever, etc.)

This weekend I might find time to fire up the beast, but I'm a little hesitant to just push the button after such a long period of it not running.
So, my question is, what precautions, if any, should I follow before I actually fire her up? I'm mostly worried about oil pressure on startup...

[In similar circumstances, with my classic, non-EFI car, I usually don't set the choke when I start cranking, which will lead to the engine NOT firing, but the oil pressure building up nonetheless (it has a gauge for oil pressure). After 5, 6 seconds the oil pressure is up, which I immediately follow by setting the accelerator-activated choke, and after renewed cranking, the engine starts right up, already having good oil pressure on the first firing. Following that procedure really puts my mind at ease... 8) ]

lushman
3rd Gear

Re: Considerations for Startup after Long Shutdown

Post by lushman » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:27 pm

I would love to know as my car has been off road for 18 months and should be back out in the next few weeks. I will be changing all the fluids including oil cooler and expansion bottle and run it in for a few hundred miles but don't know if there is anything else should be doing.
2006 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue & Black Optics
2000 Avus Silver B5 RS4 - Gone

Maakola
Neutral

Post by Maakola » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:53 pm

Disconnect the coil pack harness on both sides (carefully, those break easily, check YouTube for tips), then crank it a few times.

Reconnect and start her up! 😊

Best way is of course to remove fuel pump fuses, remove spark plugs, then crank it a few times with no compression at all. That is more of a hassle though on a V8. Might wanna do it none the less if its been sitting for years.

QuRace
Neutral

Post by QuRace » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:26 pm

Maakola wrote: ↑
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:53 pm
Disconnect the coil pack harness on both sides (carefully, those break easily, check YouTube for tips), then crank it a few times.

Reconnect and start her up! 😊

Best way is of course to remove fuel pump fuses, ...
Thanks for the reply!

Two pertinent questions, when I ONLY disconnect the coil packs (but leave the fuel pump fuse(s?) in place):
  1. Will the ECU, in this case, stop commanding the injectors, thus preventing flooding the engine?
  2. This procedure WILL throw a ton of DTCs, right?

Maakola
Neutral

Post by Maakola » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:30 pm

1) The injectors won't stop doing their job (as far as I know) but that won't be a problem if you just crank it a few times. When you press the "Start"-button the engine will start cranking but will stop automatically after about 5 seconds (give or take). Do that once more, then reconnect coil harness and restart. Oil system should be pressurized by then.

2) Long time since I've done it but I can't remember it throwing any codes but I might remember incorrectly. I got the OBD Eleven, so it was an easy fix resetting the codes, if that was the case. Either way, if it throws a misfire code and the check engine light (CEL) appears, the CEL should disappear by it self after a few "run cycles" (drive a few miles, turn off the car, restart, drive a few miles, ..).

OBD Eleven is a must have though for us petrol heads with VW/Audi! 😊

QuRace
Neutral

Post by QuRace » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:51 am

Thx for your input, Maakola!
Maakola wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:30 pm
OBD Eleven is a must have though for us petrol heads with VW/Audi! 😊
... or VCDS w/ HEX-NET adapter, my personal preference 8) .

Maakola
Neutral

Post by Maakola » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:56 pm

I got VCDS aswell, but I usually recommend the OBD Eleven to people who are new to the concept as it is such a cheap alternative, not to mention how easy it is! 😊😊

Return to β€œRS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”