CRS Performance/Shockerboy's DRC replacement setup.

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
12th
3rd Gear

CRS Performance/Shockerboy's DRC replacement setup.

Post by 12th » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:28 pm

Given that DRC failure is something most of us will get to face at some stage, and that Shockerboy's setup is mentioned here as a possible solution, I thought I'd do a more detailed writeup than I've managed to find - and count my blessings that I had 15 years out of my DRC...

Ride: A slightly mixed bag, and the importance of the different aspects will depend upon how you use your car and what matters to you most. Driving slowly on ordinary roads, there's a slightly greater feeling of compliance - as though the setup is dealing with the road a little better. It's also more compliant with speed bumps. But it is slightly worse in how it deals with sudden shocks, like expansion joints or particularly poor transitions between different sections of motorway tarmac. With these, there's more of a 'da-dump', both felt and heard. On a section of road that's littered with these things it's really quite pronounced, and unfortunately the M6, on which I did my first few miles post-fitting, is just such a road. But having now driven it on roads I know well (and which are far from fantastic in terms of surface quality) the compromise is well-judged - I'm not at all unhappy.

Handling: I've always been reasonably happy with the handling, fully accepting the car isn't an oversteerer. It feels better tied-down in high speed corners, and in tighter ones it feels as though grip levels at the front are a little higher than before. So that's all good.

Fitting was quick, Steve's friendly and helpful and the price at time of typing was a grand - replacing the broken DRC parts would have cost £3.5k, and the whole DRC system, £7k.

So for me it feel like a no-brainer - more is gained than lost and the cost is extremely reasonable. I have no regrets, though if I spent my life going up and down the M6 I might prefer a different solution.
Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Saloon with MRC tweakery.

highrise
1st Gear

Re: CRS Performance/Shockerboy's DRC replacement setup.

Post by highrise » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:09 pm

Thanks, this is really useful and I'm glad you're happy.

I have B14s and the ride is way too harsh, so I really want to change.

A quick question, do you have the stock or H&R springs?

Cheers

12th
3rd Gear

Post by 12th » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:32 am

Stock - fronts are still original and in good nick, but rears replaced last year.

I'm glad it helps - it's the sort of information I'd ideally have wanted when I was deciding what to do.

12th
3rd Gear

Post by 12th » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:39 pm

Having driven around the village today, I think the ride is generally quieter too.

EDIT: More miles on the clock since fitting, again all on roads I know well. It may be that I am acclimatising (and spending less time thinking about how the car drives), but it feels as though the shocks have loosened up a little - I stand by everything I've said above, but maybe there's an initial hardness that slackens a little? Like I say, I may just be acclimatising.

Turn in is definitely sharper though!

EDIT2: I'm definitely enjoying driving the car more - could in part be because I no longer have DRC to worry about, but overall it's a better drive.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”