knocking and 'bouncy' at low speeds

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
flummoxed
Neutral

knocking and 'bouncy' at low speeds

Post by flummoxed » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:18 am

I noticed at low speeds (abt 20mph) there's a slight knocking sound, and the rear end of my car feels a bit bouncy (for lack of a better word).

Is this a sign the DRC's going?

I'm thinking of replacing the DRC with KW V3s and an 034 rear sway bar. I think that should help plant my RS4 on the road, even at low speeds (e.g. < 40 mph)?

(I considered the Ohlins, but I street more than track, and they're frankly too expensive for me!)

coffey555
5th Gear

Re: knocking and 'bouncy' at low speeds

Post by coffey555 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:00 pm

"I'm thinking of replacing the DRC with KW V3s and an 034 rear sway bar."

This is a good alternative to the stock DRC system if you don't want to take the chance of fixing an aging system.

It's actually what is on my own car at the moment. I think most of the planted feeling comes from the lower ride height but for sure you need the uprated rear arb to combat body roll at higher speeds. I found it was best to leave the front one as stock.

Tuned Koni shocks from a guy on ebay with stock springs is another option.

Personally I am installing a brand new DRC SS+ system in early 2021 as my coilovers are at the end of their life. Will report back my findings.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

Mark_b
Neutral

Post by Mark_b » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:36 pm

When my rear shocks went the failure manifested itself more along the lines of overly low ride height at the rear and very bumpy ride.
Pretty much what one would expect from rear shocks letting go on any car really.

My car has the SS+ kit fitted, and I opted to retain the DRC - expensive though it was, and also not without a degree of risk in terms of the front shocks and/or the pipework failing in the future - my feeling is that as a very well maintained (throughout its life, not just by me) 07 saloon in black with desirable options it was worth the money to retain the originality.

Another factor that helped inform my decision was that I live in London, so the roads aren't the best, if you can find one without speed humps!

flummoxed
Neutral

Post by flummoxed » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:57 pm

Thanks guys...I did consider fixing the DRC, but if the KW + sway bar is as good (if not better in terms of handling) then I'll probably do that instead. Seems like a more robust option to me. Might pull the trigger end of the month...will update!

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”