Aircon leak but static pressure test ok

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Pistolpete2543
3rd Gear

Aircon leak but static pressure test ok

Post by Pistolpete2543 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:13 pm

Noticed my Aircon not producing cold air, and Econ light staying on. Sure enough, VCDS scan revealed G65 pressure switch signal too low, code 00819. I’ve never had to charge the system so took it to local Aircon guy, recharged again and all seemed fine. Left car a couple of weeks and same fault again, measuring block also showing 1 bar so lost gas pressure.

Took it back, the guy ran a static pressure test at 200psi for a good 20 minutes and no losses.

He said there must be a passing seal or slight condenser leak that only opens up with temperature as things are running. He suggested doing cheapest things first, so new condenser and G65 switch, then re-gas it and see if it stays charged.

Anyone have experience? I obviously hope it’s not the compressor.

delroyx
1st Gear

Re: Aircon leak but static pressure test ok

Post by delroyx » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:11 pm

I don't think a condenser is that cheap. I looked at replacing mine while the front end was off for the Forge oil cooler. I bought one from ECP that was listed for an RS4 in their website but it turned out to be the wrong one. The correct one was several hundred more & currently out of stock. Audi wanted silly money as well so I kept the one I had as I was only changing for preventative reasons.

I don't have the part numbers to hand I'm afraid

Jezza1644
1st Gear

Post by Jezza1644 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:06 pm

Pistolpete2543 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:13 pm
Noticed my Aircon not producing cold air, and Econ light staying on. Sure enough, VCDS scan revealed G65 pressure switch signal too low, code 00819. I’ve never had to charge the system so took it to local Aircon guy, recharged again and all seemed fine. Left car a couple of weeks and same fault again, measuring block also showing 1 bar so lost gas pressure.

Took it back, the guy ran a static pressure test at 200psi for a good 20 minutes and no losses.

He said there must be a passing seal or slight condenser leak that only opens up with temperature as things are running. He suggested doing cheapest things first, so new condenser and G65 switch, then re-gas it and see if it stays charged.

I've got a similar issue to you and to cut a long story short turns out I need a new Compressor/Condensor/valve & drier. The prices quoted by a garage in Bristol that specializes in aircon issues are: Condensor £121, Compressor £377, Valve & Drier £40 and labour will be @£350 (all day job).
I'm getting the work done in November as they are having trouble tracking down the correct Compressor, but it should be delivered in November. So not a cheap fix, unfortunately! :boohoo:

chunky79
Cruising

Post by chunky79 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:45 am

Jezza1644 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:06 pm
Pistolpete2543 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:13 pm

I've got a similar issue to you and to cut a long story short turns out I need a new Compressor/Condensor/valve & drier. The prices quoted by a garage in Bristol that specializes in aircon issues are: Condensor £121, Compressor £377, Valve & Drier £40 and labour will be @£350 (all day job).
I'm getting the work done in November as they are having trouble tracking down the correct Compressor, but it should be delivered in November. So not a cheap fix, unfortunately! :boohoo:

Be very surprised if it needs all 3 of these items. Condenser and receiver drier, yeah if the condenser has a hole in it, but why the compressor?
previous- Pug 205 gti, 306 gti, 309 gti Goodwood.
Audi S3, S4 V8 avant.
Porsche Macan Turbo.
Gone but NEVER forgotten - C5 RS6 Misano red avant.

Now - Empty garage

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there!

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”