Sporadic EPC lamp

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Swempf
Neutral

Sporadic EPC lamp

Post by Swempf » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:42 am

Hello Community :notworthy:

I have been the proud owner of an Audi RS4 B7 Avant in Daytona Gray for half a year.

Brief information about the car: It will soon hit 215,000km and the clutch has recently been renewed, carbon clean was done 15,000km ago and the oil consumption is within reasonable limits. It has a software by MTM according to the previous owner. (Because of the newton meter lock)

I'm so far at peace with the car, but a problem that keeps coming back plagues me, I hope you can help me.

The EPC light arrives sporadically while driving, mostly when it is warm and I drive it over 3000 rev's. The car feels healthy and still has full power, except that it limits the engine speed to around 6600. The car will sit overnight and the next morning the light is still on, but then it goes out again after 5 minutes of driving.

The EPC lamp can trigger if:

~ I use the full rev range with a warm motor (Never been done cold before for obvious reasons)

~ When cruising at around 3500 rev's

~ I can drive days without it ever lighting up, so it's very sporadic and difficult to narrow down to what exactly it is

I read out the error and it says "P2015 intake manifold switching actuator position sensor / switch"

I also had the car checked through from the workshop I trust, they took a close look at the intake manifold and said the actuators were not broken and still work perfectly.

They exchanged 2 transducer sensors since they didn't work anymore, an oil drain pipe in the intake tract was also broken, they replaced this.

Unfortunately, the EPC lamp still comes on from time to time and is still the same error P2015.

Perhaps someone in this forum was/is struggling with the same error as me and can give me some advice.

Kind regards,

a desperate RS4 driver :audibash:
07 RS4 B7 Avant Daytona Gray

AA_954
1st Gear

Sporadic EPC lamp

Post by AA_954 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:04 pm

What you are describing initially looks like a small vacuum issue

Was the vacuum sensor at the front lower part of the mainfold changed? With small hands its a job that can be done without taking off the manifold, it could be on the way out if its coming up sporadically.

My P2015 and P2020 codes were due to this and its probably a place to start given that its not as expensive and can be done as I mentioned with the mani still on.

Not sure what you are referring to the 2 transducer sensors, perhaps its the potentiometers that are plced opposite diagonal on the side of each bank?

At ~3500 revs is when the flap arms completely open in the mani to allow for more flow, if they do not open to a certain level/value this will be picked up by the ECU and a code will come up lighting up the EPC on your dash, this will also limit your revs to ~7k when it is on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”