Help!! ECU problem

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
GhiniRS4
Neutral

Help!! ECU problem

Post by GhiniRS4 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:43 am

Hi all,

My car has an ECU problem. At the moment, the main computer is unable to follow the second computer signal and the car cannot start normally. It was sent to the workshop specializing in ECU repair. The diagnostic result was that the control part of the two computer chip keys can be disabled/abolished to bypass the normal protocol. The car would then force to start but with an error indicator on all the time.
I really don't want to head down this path.

After some research, I found out there are 2 key points to obtain a replacement for a faulty ECU:

1) The ECU has been discontinued, and there isn't any brand new ECU currently on the market.

2) The faulty ECU must be handed into AUDI as an exchange part for a refurbished ECU. However, AUDI Car Service announced my ECU isn't eligible for this exchange since my car isn't a first-hand car, and there are traces of tweaking done to my ECU from the previous owner

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this before?
Is there any alternative solution to this problem?

thanks

irishmike
3rd Gear

Re: Help!! ECU problem

Post by irishmike » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:04 pm

That sounds like a nightmare...

I had my ECUs replaced about 3 years ago, a costly trip to the dealer...

Is the any possibility of getting a set of ECU from a crashed car that may not be modified?

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

GhiniRS4
Neutral

Post by GhiniRS4 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:05 am

Yes! Really a nightmare...

I continued to check the problem. Unfortunately, I really have to change ECU unit now. Does anyone know any good ECU Shop online? If they can ship internationally is even better.

Thank you

GhiniRS4
Neutral

Post by GhiniRS4 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:27 am

Hello,

The good news today, my car finally solved the problem

※I hope to share my experience. But my English is not very well, If Grammatical or text errors, I try to narrate. forgive me. :cry:

1) If you can't replace the ECU, or find suppliers of the ECU, you need a Car Service that can reprogramming and repair the ECU. If only let to ECU suppliers repair, can't have a good effect.

2) Above if the Car Service is unable to repair the ECU or reprogramming, at least the technician can directly communicate with the repairing ECU engineer to check every detail and problem.

3) Those who are willing to check each item one by one and have RS4 or same-level repair experience. Actually, I find a Car Service for supercars repair experience.

In fact, I find 5 Car Services. Finally, this demand was resolved after I found the 5 Car Services. The previous ones also include the Audi Car Service. The Audi Car Service has management and responsibilities, so they can't reprogramming or be capable of ECU repair.

After the final repairs, although 4 Car Services the demand you need to change the ECU by before. They still inspected every detail with interaction with the ECU engineers, and indeed found small problems, and repaired them, it is a pity these are not my car the main problem.

※ Please note:

a) If you need to repair the ECU, the ECU cover will inevitably be disassembled. If you will so-called exchange ECU parts in the future, will not be able to exchange parts! Or you need to confirm with the supplier to ensure that the exchange can be performed.

b) At present, it is difficult to find the raw materials of ECU. If you are looking for a new ECU or used one, please be mentally prepared. It may not be easy to obtain, really hard to find it.

c) When the ECU to repair, you should ensure that the original software can be restored and correct.

After the final ECU inspection is completed, the software will be matched and checked. Before, although there are also error codes that are not connected between the first ECU and the second ECU, these are suddenly the error codes. I can't explain this problem, although the wire and software are correct, now the error codes not showing up. The problem of the vehicle... still can’t be solved. Basically, the problem is a big circle.

Finally, the real problem is that the "sensor for air mass meter" malfunctioned, which caused my vehicle to fail to start. I think this is a very stupid situation. Before no one Car Service can find this simple question. Most always keeping point to the ECU problem.

I provide my car video below:

https://youtu.be/-Fzuq1xfEqA

※ The problem is like the control system shuts down your starting

If the ECU is really to change, it's a very high unit price and unacceptable. Audi car Service quoted me at 6500 USD/1 ECU. This is a very scary thing, especially since the problem is not in the ECU.

Now I spent 3 months with a small amount of money to finally solve the problem, hoping to help friends facing the same problem.

Thank you for your watching

alex760
1st Gear

Post by alex760 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:39 pm

Sounds like it has been a very frustrating experience. Well done for sticking with it and finding a resolution in the end though.

irishmike
3rd Gear

Post by irishmike » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:02 am

Glad you got it solved in the end, but not a nice experience to go through!

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”