Does replacing DRC components result in other DRC parts failing?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Mark_b
Neutral

Does replacing DRC components result in other DRC parts failing?

Post by Mark_b » Sun May 02, 2021 5:37 pm

Hi all.

Not sure if I can expect an answer to this question other than "probably" but here goes....
I realise the DRC vs coilovers conversation has been done over and over again on here but I have what I hope will be a slightly different enquiry.
I have been advised that I need to replace the rear shocks on my B7 RS4 and would prefer to retain the DRC over coilovers for a couple of reasons I don't really want to get into in this post.

However, recognising the fact that DRC repairs can get into ridiculous money pretty quickly I was wondering if anyone has experienced failures of DRC related components following a repair of a faulty part.

e.g. having had the rear shocks done, what's the likelihood that that the fact other components will break now they are having to actually do their jobs again?

cheers,

Mark.

CRS3
Neutral

Re: Does replacing DRC components result in other DRC parts failing?

Post by CRS3 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:42 pm

Hi Mark,
There are a few factors to consider when trying to answer your question.
Why have you been advised that the rear shocks need replacing?
Have the shocks failed completely eg. Burst seal, loss of substantial amount of oil, total loss of pressure and heavy knocking ?
If a complete failure of shocks? Has the car been driven with failed shocks?
Has any other components of the system been replaced before? Or are they as old as the car?
The DRC is split in to 2 systems, the shocks are linked in diagonal. Rear left and front right, front left and rear right. There is a central valve for each system shifting the hydraulic oil between the shocks as the car corners etc. If the car has not been driven (prolonged distance after realising failure) with a complete failure. You can replace individual parts as long as the systems recharge and hold pressure. But if the car has been driven around without knowing that a complete failure has happened then there could be damage to central valve or diagonally connected shock in that system. A loss of pressure in the system due to a leaking or split in a pipe is not a complete shock failure.
The is also the pipe work to look at for condition. A flexible pipe connecting each shock and hard pipes connecting these to the central valves.
If the pipes are in good condition and the central valves have not been damaged. You can replace shocks as need be. But if the shocks are all the same age(old as the car)chances are you will be replacing them some time in the future. But there is no definitive time I'm afraid.
The costs for this vary somewhat for labour and parts.
From a reputable company the cost of recharging the system is between £300 to £500.
Last time I priced a shock it was £320 per shock. Flexible pipes £120 to £140 per pipe.
When my shock failed I had already been researching as much as I could about the DRC system. And came to the conclusion that if I suffered a break down I would replace what needed to be replaced to keep it working 100% because it does make the car what it is. So preparing for the future as much as I could. With the help of this site I built myself a tool for recharging the system myself and I use it to do any DRC work on my own car. It's saved me money and the worry of expensive garage bills if anything goes in the future.
If you can afford it, preventive maintenance will keep your systems working and help avoid major failures all at once, anti corrosion maintenance on your pipe work making sure it will last as long as it can.
I hope this long explanation helps you some 😄

Cheers
Chris.

irishmike
3rd Gear

Post by irishmike » Mon May 03, 2021 8:41 pm

Some great info above!

From my experience I had one failed shock, Audi insisted on replacing the diagonal pair as they are linked and in fairness they did cover 50% of the cost.
No other issues since then, they said all pipework looked fine.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

Mark_b
Neutral

Post by Mark_b » Tue May 04, 2021 7:29 pm

Thanks both. (Especially to @CRS3 for such a comprehensive answer!)

Mark_b
Neutral

Post by Mark_b » Tue May 04, 2021 7:38 pm

CRS3 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:42 pm
Hi Mark,
Why have you been advised that the rear shocks need replacing? internal failure on both rear shocks
Have the shocks failed completely eg. Burst seal, loss of substantial amount of oil, total loss of pressure and heavy knocking ? not seen any leakage but the rear end is way lower than i am comfortable with and i have been told by a couple of places that the car is running standard Audi shocks and springs
If a complete failure of shocks? Has the car been driven with failed shocks? it has been driven in its current state, yes, but based on the lack of the symptoms you described above I'm not sure if this is what you're calling a "complete failure of shocks"
Has any other components of the system been replaced before? Or are they as old as the car? nothing else suspension wise has been replaced in the past as far as i know (and I have extremely detailed and comprehensive history for the vehicle)
The DRC is split in to 2 systems, the shocks are linked in diagonal. Rear left and front right, front left and rear right. There is a central valve for each system shifting the hydraulic oil between the shocks as the car corners etc. If the car has not been driven (prolonged distance after realising failure) with a complete failure. You can replace individual parts as long as the systems recharge and hold pressure. But if the car has been driven around without knowing that a complete failure has happened then there could be damage to central valve or diagonally connected shock in that system. A loss of pressure in the system due to a leaking or split in a pipe is not a complete shock failure. the dealer advised replacing the flexi pipes with the rear shocks. I realise the DRC system operates diagonally, however, both front shocks are fine as far as i can tell
The is also the pipe work to look at for condition. A flexible pipe connecting each shock and hard pipes connecting these to the central valves. as i mentioned, they advised replacing the flexi pipes on both sides of the rear of the car
If the pipes are in good condition and the central valves have not been damaged. You can replace shocks as need be. But if the shocks are all the same age(old as the car)chances are you will be replacing them some time in the future. But there is no definitive time I'm afraid.fair enough... pretty much what i thought, and when factoring in costs to replace valves and other pipework, what i am concerned about!)
From a reputable company the cost of recharging the system is between £300 to £500.
Last time I priced a shock it was £320 per shock. Flexible pipes £120 to £140 per pipe.
When my shock failed I had already been researching as much as I could about the DRC system. And came to the conclusion that if I suffered a break down I would replace what needed to be replaced to keep it working 100% because it does make the car what it is. So preparing for the future as much as I could. With the help of this site I built myself a tool for recharging the system myself and I use it to do any DRC work on my own car. It's saved me money and the worry of expensive garage bills if anything goes in the future.
If you can afford it, preventive maintenance will keep your systems working and help avoid major failures all at once, anti corrosion maintenance on your pipe work making sure it will last as long as it can.

Cheers
Chris.
Thanks again for the detailed reply. I'd really like to keep the DRC, but not if it's going to involve replacing the entire system in the next year or so!

MIDZ
2nd Gear

Post by MIDZ » Wed May 05, 2021 5:11 pm

CRS3 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:42 pm
Hi Mark,
Why have you been advised that the rear shocks need replacing?
Have the shocks failed completely eg. Burst seal, loss of substantial amount of oil, total loss of pressure and heavy knocking ?
If a complete failure of shocks? Has the car been driven with failed shocks?
Has any other components of the system been replaced before? Or are they as old as the car?
The DRC is split in to 2 systems, the shocks are linked in diagonal. Rear left and front right, front left and rear right. There is a central valve for each system shifting the hydraulic oil between the shocks as the car corners etc. If the car has not been driven (prolonged distance after realising failure) with a complete failure. You can replace individual parts as long as the systems recharge and hold pressure. But if the car has been driven around without knowing that a complete failure has happened then there could be damage to central valve or diagonally connected shock in that system. A loss of pressure in the system due to a leaking or split in a pipe is not a complete shock failure.
The is also the pipe work to look at for condition. A flexible pipe connecting each shock and hard pipes connecting these to the central valves.
If the pipes are in good condition and the central valves have not been damaged. You can replace shocks as need be. But if the shocks are all the same age(old as the car)chances are you will be replacing them some time in the future. But there is no definitive time I'm afraid.

Cheers
Chris.
I have recently purchased a VAS6209-6 set from oemvwshop, as trying to get the small quick-connectors alone that attach to the shocks was proving to be impossible. i even contacted Leitenberger via email, but no success. I have an enerpac pump, ported manifold, adapters, pressure gauge etc, just need to set it up when I have time....

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”