Auto Lights Malfunction - any ideas?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
RS-Rated
Neutral

Auto Lights Malfunction - any ideas?

Post by RS-Rated » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:17 am

Has anybody had the auto light malfunction warning pop up before? Not sure what's caused it.

Symptoms:
- Only happens when light switch is on "AUTO"
- High beam only works on the left side when the low beams are on, however both high beams work when using flash to pass.
- Warning goes away when on other light positions (low beam, DRL etc)

Anybody know how to fix? Is it a fuse? Or the actual sensor needing replacement? I know there is a sensor behind the rear view mirror however what gets me is the high beam issue - both work when flash, only one side works when low beams are on?

*both xenon bulbs were changed recently.

Appreciate your help.

F4rdy
Neutral

Re: Auto Lights Malfunction - any ideas?

Post by F4rdy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:51 pm

personally i'd change the headlight switch first and try it

oxblood8
Neutral

Post by oxblood8 » Mon May 03, 2021 2:49 am

RS-Rated wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:17 am
Has anybody had the auto light malfunction warning pop up before? Not sure what's caused it.

Symptoms:
- High beam only works on the left side when the low beams are on, however both high beams work when using flash to pass.

Anybody know how to fix? Is it a fuse? Or the actual sensor needing replacement? I know there is a sensor behind the rear view mirror however what gets me is the high beam issue - both work when flash, only one side works when low beams are on?

Appreciate your help.
Hey mate, got the exact same issue as your 1 and 3 (not sure about the high beam but i haven't noticed any issue). In the limited research I have done yes there is a sensor inside the rear-view mirror and its is VERY expensive to replace. I think mine might be malfunctioning due to my windscreen replacement a few years ago.

I haven't bothered fixing it and just use the light switch manually.

RS-Rated
Neutral

Post by RS-Rated » Fri May 07, 2021 3:32 am

oxblood8 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 2:49 am
RS-Rated wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:17 am

Symptoms:

Appreciate your help.
Hey mate, got the exact same issue as your 1 and 3 (not sure about the high beam but i haven't noticed any issue). In the limited research I have done yes there is a sensor inside the rear-view mirror and its is VERY expensive to replace. I think mine might be malfunctioning due to my windscreen replacement a few years ago.

I haven't bothered fixing it and just use the light switch manually.
Thanks for your reply mate. Looks like that's what I'm going to do. It could be from the battery as I've heard that causes alot of funny electrical things from time to time. Not sure when it was last replaced.

The car was sitting for a period of 2 months with a trickle charger so could've been because of that.

Just out of curiousity have you replaced your battery recently?

oxblood8
Neutral

Post by oxblood8 » Mon May 10, 2021 5:20 am

RS-Rated wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:32 am
Just out of curiousity have you replaced your battery recently?
Actually yes, I did replace prior to this happening. Hmm interesting. What's the fix tho (if there is one)?

oxblood8
Neutral

Post by oxblood8 » Mon May 10, 2021 6:40 am

I just had a light bulb moment whilst googling. I was talking about the rain sensor when i mentioned the windscreen change. The headlight sensor is down the bottom of window in the middle isn't it. I think my issue is the rain sensor. I just tried the lights in the shed, and when set to auto i hear the beep and the icon comes up on the dash but the lights work fine.

This is the fault on the dash

This is what my rain sensor looks like. Seems a bit mucky. Just had a quick google, around $30US for a new gel pad

delroyx
1st Gear

Post by delroyx » Mon May 10, 2021 3:02 pm

I had something similar when i had a windscreen replaced. Needed a new sensor not just the gel pack. From memory it was very expensive. Thankfully autoglass covered it.

delroyx
1st Gear

Post by delroyx » Mon May 10, 2021 3:06 pm

I think this was the part number 8K0955559D

oxblood8
Neutral

Post by oxblood8 » Tue May 11, 2021 4:06 am

delroyx wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:06 pm
I think this was the part number 8K0955559D
Yep very expensive, think I'll just stick to the manual wipers :biggrin3:

RS-Rated
Neutral

Post by RS-Rated » Tue May 25, 2021 4:27 am

oxblood8 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:40 am
I just had a light bulb moment whilst googling. I was talking about the rain sensor when i mentioned the windscreen change. The headlight sensor is down the bottom of window in the middle isn't it. I think my issue is the rain sensor. I just tried the lights in the shed, and when set to auto i hear the beep and the icon comes up on the dash but the lights work fine.

This is the fault on the dash

This is what my rain sensor looks like. Seems a bit mucky. Just had a quick google, around $30US for a new gel pad
Sorry for the delay here. That's the one mate. To answer your question about the battery, I meant if you had an older battery since that can cause some electrical mishaps. But you've got a new one lol so unrelated...

I'm the same as you, just going to live with it - not worth the cost versus return haha. Out of interest do both of your high beams come on when flicked ON and when using FLASH (toggling the stalk)? Only my left side flicks on and not sure if related to the error. I did replace both Xenon bulbs a couple of months ago with brand new ATOM - D1S Xenon Globes 5000K/6000K from supernova lighting,

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”