Anyone come from a MK5 R32?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
chive90
Neutral

Anyone come from a MK5 R32?

Post by chive90 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:24 pm

Any current B7 owners who have come from an R32? Interested to hear your thoughts on where these cars are similar and where they are different.

I've been a long term lurker and have done a lot of reading. Many have said that the B7 has twice the running costs of the R32 but isn't twice the car. Appreciate I'm posting this on an Audi forum so opinions might be bias but I'll elaborate what I'm after from the B7.

My R32 is really well set up, KW coilovers, H&R ARB's and it absolutely sticks around the twisties, almost zero understeer. I want this from the B7 - how will it feel in comparison? Will it feel bargey or do they handle really well (either in standard DRC form or with the typical upgrade of Bilsteins or KW's)? The B7 will not be a garage queen or long distance cruiser for me - I want to use it on the occasional track day and for the Sunday B road blasts. The R32 ticks these boxes for me but famously lacks about 100bhp from the factory, hence my quest for a B7.

I always evisaged selling the R32 for the B7 but the more I think about it the more I feel I'd miss it, so I may have to find room for both. They also seem to be creeping up in value and I think they are equally special cars. The other option is to dismiss the RS4 alltogether and throw 7-10k at the R32 to go the FI route and obtain 400-450bhp but I feel like I need to scratch the V8 itch.

Would be great to hear from people who have owned both, made the leap, what they miss from the R32, etc. Thanks!

coffey555
5th Gear

Re: Anyone come from a MK5 R32?

Post by coffey555 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:54 am

I had a red 3 door Mk5 R32 with cloth buckets and absolutely loved it! Sold it to a mate when I bought the RS4 who then sold it to another mate who kept it until late 2019.

That allowed me to occasionally drive it now and again with an insight into running costs over the 9 years.

Jumping back into the R32, first impressions were that the steering felt light and lacking a bit of feedback, the gearshift felt a bit inaccurate and the bloody brake pedal was still over-servoed!
It still made a lovely noise though! Car was completely stock but this one benefited from brand new shocks and springs.

It is a lighter car and it feels it in the corners, although it is still nose heavy. To be honest, if I had a good one of these I would be returning it to stock as they are only going one way in value what with all the rusty ones out there.

Much cheaper car to run over the last 10 years.

The RS4 is no lightweight but it is very well put together and engineered. It just feels a more special place to be when you are in it. Steering, gearshift and that engine response make the car feel more special.

It is a bit heavier but handles well enough on KWV3 or SS+ DRC. Personally I am swapping my one back to DRC as it is the better road setup.

To be honest, I personally think both cars are too heavy to be using on trackdays, I can only imagine the tyre and brake costs!

I would buy an R55/56 Mini JCW for that as due to the lack of weight, they are an absolute weapon and so much fun.

I know what you mean about the R32 feeling a little underpowered but now I don't think that is a bad thing. You can enjoy the full range of that engine note without going ridiculously fast, its still quick enough to be fun, overtake things and it has sooo much character with that VR6 engine.

The RS4 can feel a bit like that as well, not hugely fast by currently standards but what it does do is connect the driver, make you feel involved with the process of driving. Having said that, E90 M3 is the sharper drivers car (also increasing in value).

The RS4 can be a money pit though so try to buy wisely.

Also, prices seem to be creeping up for the good ones so this is a thing to keep an eye on.

I would test drive as many cars as you can.

Personally I look back fondly on my R32 but I don't miss it, for me, the B7 is just a more special car.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

chive90
Neutral

Post by chive90 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:51 pm

Thanks for your detailed and insightful reply! Mine also has cloth buckets funnily enough, they are so rare!

It's tempting to keep the R32 for the reasons you list really. They only seem to be going up and mine is very well looked after so I think I would regret selling it. I certainly don't think I could sell it before at least running the RS4 alongside it for a few months.

It's interesting that you mention going back to DRC. I guess it's the case with any common failures on cars, as someone who hasn't yet owned one and reads the forums and the classifieds, I see the term DRC and immediately think oh god, that would need 1.5k-2k in a few years to replace with some coilovers.

Yeah I guess I use the term trackday loosely but for me there's no point buying a performance car unless you're going to use it for the right reasons, so for me it needs to feel at home on twisty B roads. I don't want it to feel like a cruiser that can comfortably eat up motorway miles but can't be pushed on the twisties. I'm sure it doesn't, but this is really important to me. I really need to test drive a few. As mentioned, other than the R32 being a touch down on power in a straight line, with the modifications I've undertaken, it does feel at home on the B roads and I would want this from the RS4.

I've looked at the E92, the RWD puts me off just becasue of the weather we get in the UK over the course of a year. I'm sure it is the better drivers car but how useable is the power all year round.

I seem to have a missed the boat a bit on the B7 and should have probably made the leap a couple of years back. Prices, especially in the last couple of months, seem to have jumped hugely, to the point where you can often get a 60/70k B8 for less. I don't want an 'avant' and the shape of the saloon was what drew me to these but it's hard to look past the B8 for the price and the fact it's minimum of 5 years newer. I'm sure the B7 is still the better car though.

kerraddoo01
Neutral

Post by kerraddoo01 » Mon May 10, 2021 2:15 pm

Hi - keep your R32 as well as the RS4. Different but great cars both of them. I kept mine for 12 months then sold it for more than I was offered initially but wish I'd kept it. Check my thread back in 2019 in response to a similar question. Mine and others.

Enjoy - both

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”