RS4 B7 engine bearing whine - help!!

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
rsfourby4
Neutral

RS4 B7 engine bearing whine - help!!

Post by rsfourby4 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:30 pm

Hi there. My B7 4.2L V8 has developed an engine bearing noise :( it's progressively become louder over the last few weeks. I get it between idle and 1800rpm, even when stationary. Turning the A/C off, rocking the steering, or depressing the clutch makes no difference. When I'm in 2nd or 3rd I can feel the vibration through the pedals and steering wheel, especially coming down on overrun below 1800rpm. I've run it up on a ramp without the serpentine belt- still the same! So it's not alternator or tensioner, ( which is exactly what it sounds like). I've got a fellow mechanic to hold the revs at 1500 and listened with a long screwdriver to my ear, to the water pump, power steering pump and as best as possible to the A/C compressor (it's buried, and difficult to get at). It does not seem to be any of these. However I noticed that the resonance and vibration could be felt (quite violently) coming from both oil cooler pipes coming out of the engine to the front oil cooler mounted at the radiator.
This leads me to think that the noise is being generated from the Gear Plate/ Gear Module associated with the auxiliary drive chain. This is what drives all the external pumps- a/c, water, p/s. It also drives the oil pump which I believe has a gear driven counterbalance shaft within it.
Has anyone else had problems with the Gear Plate or oil pump on a B7
2007 B7 RS4 Avant plus sun roof mugello blue

rsfourby4
Neutral

Re: RS4 B7 engine bearing whine - help!!

Post by rsfourby4 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:04 pm

So...I guess the only way forward is to have the engine out and strip off the end covers to inspect the chains and guides to get to the auxiliary gear drive plate....
My problem is that I need someone who has had experience with rs4 v8 engines that I can trust.

Have any of you got suggestions who can take on this kind of job?
My searches on line give me MRC, and Audivwsc in north London. I've used Regal Autosport in Southampton who carried out my full de-carbon and de- flap. Great guys.
I'm just hoping to hear from someone who can reassure me that I can trust my car to a garage that knows what they are doing?

MB2
Top Gear

Post by MB2 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:12 pm

If you are this way try Williams Automotive http://www.williams-automotive.com/

They have head of another car for me and worked on my RS4 and have always been very good.

rsfourby4
Neutral

Post by rsfourby4 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:54 pm

Thanks MB2
I'll check them out
I'm in Beckenham south London, but I want to find someone who knows what theyre doing.
I've seen videos of JHM in the USA, showing complete chain and guide replacements, they know their stuff , but I can't find anyone that know!edge able in the uk.

rs user
4th Gear

Post by rs user » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:09 pm

does your car have a forge oil cooler kit installed?

rsfourby4
Neutral

Post by rsfourby4 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:00 pm

Hi RS user
No it doesn't, ive heard they can cause a vibration.
Ive had mine a little under 2 years, and the only mod Ive had done was a year ago, that was a full de- carbon with manifold off and polymer bead blast, and flaps removed with a de- flap remap, oil change etc. It was done by Regal Autosport in Southampton, i can't praise them enough. Brought my rolling road HP up from 364 to just over 400...not bad for a car with 128k on it.
So this noise has developed on its own...

cherub72
2nd Gear

Post by cherub72 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:28 am

Hi, I've used Audivwsc in north London for a few years now and they are great, really knowledgeable around the RS models and nice people to deal with
RS4 Cabriolet - Phantom Black with Exclusive interior

rsfourby4
Neutral

Post by rsfourby4 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:12 pm

Thanks cherub 72,
Ive been hoping someone would give me feed back about them.
I saw their website and it looked impressive ( but websites don't always tell the whole story) so I emailed them a detailed description of the problem. But it took them several days to reply, but it was very evasive. So I I emailed again asking for a little more info,, thinking perhaps they are busy and I would give them another opportunity to convince me of their knowledge, that was 19th February...they have still not replied.
Do you just use them for basic service stuff or are they up to speed with more involved technical jobs too?

cherub72
2nd Gear

Post by cherub72 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:39 am

rsfourby4 - so far they have done all the servicing for the last 7 years. They have also done all the suspension control arms, the clutch, shocks, all the DRC pipes ( whichh involved the fuel tank and rear axle coming out ), accident damage repairs caused when a wall fell on the car, door locks, rear springs and a load of other stuff. I don't like to think how much that lot comes to !
Give them a call and speak to Pitor, he's the more customer facing part of the business and also an RS4 owner last time I spoke to him.
RS4 Cabriolet - Phantom Black with Exclusive interior

rsfourby4
Neutral

Post by rsfourby4 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:26 am

Thanks for that.
Wow thats the trouble with these cars...you get hooked because they're such a great car but its not cheap.i was planning to get bilstein coilovers fitted this month...£2400.. but thats on hold now- Im probably looking at a 6k bill all in one hit but I wouldn't change the car now..love it too much. Mugello blue...

maars
3rd Gear

Post by maars » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:21 am

rsfourby4 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:54 pm
Thanks MB2
I'll check them out
I'm in Beckenham south London, but I want to find someone who knows what theyre doing.
I can thoroughly recommend CamSpec in Crawley, not too far from you - http://camspeconline.com/ - they know their Audis inside & out.

Failing that a trip to MRC might be in order - http://www.mrctuning.com/
Daytona RS4 Avant - black optics/decat downpipes/H-pipe/KW springs - featured on the 2012 Audi stand at the Goodwood FoS

m5killer
3rd Gear

Post by m5killer » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:40 pm

QST Kim Collins they have rs4s in there day in day out and various tweeked RS models from South London straight up the A23/M23 before Brighton give them a bell they probably got just as much knowledge as MRC etc etc they definitely know what they doing 100%

RS4RAB
Neutral

Post by RS4RAB » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:17 pm

Did you get to the bottom of this in the end?

Heardy
2nd Gear

Post by Heardy » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:20 pm

Just reading your post and from what your describing sounds like the same noise as mine.
If I didn’t know any better i would say that the fluid is low
In the powersteering (its not) sounds like a whine !
Its had this noise since I bought the car so can put it down to anything in particular that’s happened to it or caused it
2007 B7 RS4
Previously
C5 RS6 Saloon Avus, Phase 2 Viper Remap, Wagners, Full Milltek, Hotchkis Arb's, 390mm C6 Brake's, H&R Coilovers

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”