Exhaust Question

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
fmb123
Neutral

Exhaust Question

Post by fmb123 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:09 am

Since i picked up my RS4 last week i have been doing a lot of reading up on exhausts, i always knew it would most likely be my first mod once i got it.

The car is not a daily driver, but i don't want any sort of drone which i understand you get from a non res, so my first instinct was to go for a Res valved Milltek. however i have seen a lot of positive feed back on just removing the resonators from the OEM pipe, which i like the sound of from a cost perspective and keeping the car a stock as possible. ( i have also just done this mod on my v8 '87 Range Rover for £80 and it sounds incredible.)

Has anyone tried both of these - does the stock pipe res removal cause any drone? - and how would these two options compare in volume increase from standard and against each other?

I don't want to fix the valves open (which i can see is a common mod), however i would like them to be open all the time in sport mode, rather than just at higher rpm, can this be coded?

Thanks
Last edited by fmb123 on Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
@greenv8garage
B7 Audi RS4 Avant Deep Green

coffey555
5th Gear

Re: Exhaust Question

Post by coffey555 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:37 pm

I have the centre res mod, I think it sounds really good. No drone to speak of although it is slightly louder between 1800-2000rpm in a high gear under load. That is with valves always open (vacuum lines pluged). The only downside is the car is a bit loud during a cold start with the SAI pump running!

I briefly had a non-res Scorpion fitted for all of 3 days, it has terrible. The drone was F**CKING HORRENDOUS and it made the engine sound like a straight 6. I feel sorry for the guy I sold it to on ebay but he wanted it to replace his straight through system he had currently fitted. Hopefully he was still too deaf to notice it also sounded crap...

There seems to be much confusion that a loud exhaust is automatically a nice sounding exhaust. The centre res delete sounds lovely to my ears whilst not being too loud (apart from a cold start). With selectable valves I think it would be the perfect system.

Not sure if the valves can be coded but there is an aftermarket controller that can be fitted which allows the valves to be run in normal mode or always closed/open via a remote key fob:

https://www.special-exhausts.de/shop/en ... -Audi-RS5/
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

fmb123
Neutral

Post by fmb123 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:59 pm

coffey555 wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:37 pm
I have the centre res mod, I think it sounds really good. No drone to speak of although it is slightly louder between 1800-2000rpm in a high gear under load. That is with valves always open (vacuum lines pluged). The only downside is the car is a bit loud during a cold start with the SAI pump running!

I briefly had a non-res Scorpion fitted for all of 3 days, it has terrible. The drone was F**CKING HORRENDOUS and it made the engine sound like a straight 6. I feel sorry for the guy I sold it to on ebay but he wanted it to replace his straight through system he had currently fitted. Hopefully he was still too deaf to notice it also sounded crap...

There seems to be much confusion that a loud exhaust is automatically a nice sounding exhaust. The centre res delete sounds lovely to my ears whilst not being too loud (apart from a cold start). With selectable valves I think it would be the perfect system.

Not sure if the valves can be coded but there is an aftermarket controller that can be fitted which allows the valves to be run in normal mode or always closed/open via a remote key fob:

https://www.special-exhausts.de/shop/en ... -Audi-RS5/
thank you very much coffey - very helpful.
@greenv8garage

oxblood8
Neutral

Post by oxblood8 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:46 am

Agree with what Coffey has said. I just got the center resonator delete done on the Avant which cost me the equivalent of 200 pounds (I am in Australia).

I really like it. Gives it a real nice bark without being too loud. I also unplugged the vacuum lines for the valves so open all the time. There is ever so slight drone (maybe more noticeable in an Avant over Sedan) when you are out on the open road but I think value for money you can't go wrong. I got the Shop to flange the pipes so that if I want to return to stock I can easily do it.

Note, I have only ever had the stock exhaust on mine but I just couldn't justify spending thousands on a Milltek and the like.

fmb123
Neutral

Post by fmb123 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:29 pm

I have decided to go ahead with the h-pipe resonator delete + a forza B4A exhaust controller.

i don't want to plug the lines and have the exhaust always open, so think this is the best solution.

I think this is going to cost me between £600 - £800 depending on if i purchase the ECS H-Pipe or get straight pipes fabricated.

If i had the equivalent Milltek (valved non res) it would be £1900, and i believe drone may be worse on these.

what are peoples thoughts on this approach, anyone else got this exact setup (with the forza controller)

many thanks,
@greenv8garage

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”