Newbie Question

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
fmb123
Neutral

Newbie Question

Post by fmb123 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:52 am

I want to get an input aux function so i can use my iphone for music.

I have searched previous threads, but just want to confirm my understanding before i buy parts:

I have the RNS-E with MMI (CDC in glove box), it is running version 0550. First step is to upgrade this with a newer map dvd (0650?), can anyone post a link to where i can buy the newest version? i wasn't 100% sure with what i found using google.

I then need this part + plus a jack to lightening iphone adapter - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-RNS-E-N ... SwubRfaMmw

and then i need to take it to a VW group garage to get it coded to work?

sorry for repeating a very discussed topic - but there seems to be more than one way to do everything, so just wanted to check i had understood the above route correctly.

thanks in advance!
@greenv8garage
B7 Audi RS4 Avant Deep Green

Jon_J
5th Gear

Re: Newbie Question

Post by Jon_J » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:53 pm

That’s it.

Where are you based, someone may be able to help worth the coding save the garage tone and money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White
S4 B7 Phantom Black (gone but not forgotten)
A4 B7 Avant 2.7 TDI Brilliant Red
A5 Cab 3.0 TDI Phantom Black

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:59 pm

or just pick up one of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpine-EZI-B ... 5000017622
you'll have bluetooth calls/audio streaming and DAB.
Got one in my car but doesn't have bluetooth calls option but thats not required anyway as I use the RNSE for that.
I found that music through the RNSE aux in was poor quality.

Mike

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:15 pm

I agree Aux quality was crap.

The suggestion above is perfectly adequate. For full integration and remaining OEM see my video here:

https://youtu.be/y8JWhTmSwGs

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

fmb123
Neutral

Post by fmb123 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:36 pm

Jon_J wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:53 pm
That’s it.

Where are you based, someone may be able to help worth the coding save the garage tone and money.

Thanks for confirming.

I'm in East Hampshire, near Farnham / Alton.
@greenv8garage

fmb123
Neutral

Post by fmb123 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:38 pm

Jon_J wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:15 pm

The suggestion above is perfectly adequate. For full integration and remaining OEM see my video here:

This may be the way to go, as i would like good sound quality but want things to remain OEM look.

Thanks
@greenv8garage

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:20 pm

fmb123 wrote:
Jon_J wrote:

This may be the way to go, as i would like good sound quality but want things to remain OEM look.

Thanks
I’m in Camberley if you need coding or help.

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

fmb123
Neutral

Post by fmb123 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:42 am

Jon_J wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:20 pm
fmb123 wrote:
Jon_J wrote:

Thanks

Jon - thank you, very kind offer.

I may look at the RNSE Mk2 down the line - but may try the quicker cheaper option first!

As someone obviously clued up on the stereos, i would appreciate your thoughts or anyone else's on buying an audi ipod dock (with a tune2air bluetooth dongle) to replace the CD changer (is this just plug and play?), rather than going the software update aux cable route. which if considered a better option sound wise?
@greenv8garage

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:01 pm

fmb123 wrote:
Jon_J wrote:
fmb123 wrote: This may be the way to go, as i would like good sound quality but want things to remain OEM look.

Thanks

I may look at the RNSE Mk2 down the line - but may try the quicker cheaper option first!

As someone obviously clued up on the stereos, i would appreciate your thoughts or anyone else's on buying an audi ipod dock (with a tune2air bluetooth dongle) to replace the CD changer (is this just plug and play?), rather than going the software update aux cable route. which if considered a better option sound wise?
Both simple to install. The software update is simple. You just need a disc with the firmware update. I think you can just stick one in, get the firmware update and carry on using your disk? Happy for you to shove mine in to get the update.

The iPod dock means you have to control the music via your phone but if you’re happy to do that it’s a good solution. Far better quality than the AUX

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

fmb123
Neutral

Post by fmb123 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:05 pm

Jon_J wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:01 pm
fmb123 wrote:
Jon_J wrote:

Both simple to install. The software update is simple. You just need a disc with the firmware update. I think you can just stick one in, get the firmware update and carry on using your disk? Happy for you to shove mine in to get the update.

The iPod dock means you have to control the music via your phone but if you’re happy to do that it’s a good solution. Far better quality than the AUX

I ended up getting an ipod dock (£25) to replace the CDC and the Bovee 1000 Bluetooth dongle (£100). Really please with it, good sound quality and you can use the radio controls to skip tracks, just cant see track names which i can live with, so thank you very much for the help.
@greenv8garage

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:25 pm

fmb123 wrote:
Jon_J wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:01 pm
fmb123 wrote: Jon - thank you, very kind offer.

I ended up getting an ipod dock (£25) to replace the CDC and the Bovee 1000 Bluetooth dongle (£100). Really please with it, good sound quality and you can use the radio controls to skip tracks, just cant see track names which i can live with, so thank you very much for the help.
Perfect

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”