How many owners is too many?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
GA55LAR
Neutral

How many owners is too many?

Post by GA55LAR » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:31 pm

Evening All,

Newbie here, be gentle :bigwave:

I've been looking at investing in a 2006 B7 for a while and have found a candidate that's had 8 owner's in those 14 years and done 105k.

Although I know performance vehicles tend to have a high turnover of owners, do you think this is too many? Just after your thoughts before I travel to view it.

If there's anything you can think of that I should be wary of for a B7 of this age/miles, please enlighten me too.

Any advice much appreciated :thumbs:

Cheers
G

Myth
1st Gear

Re: How many owners is too many?

Post by Myth » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:53 pm

Find the reg number and ask if the car is known on here with eight owners chances are it might be known .

rs user
4th Gear

Post by rs user » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:55 pm

mine had 7 previous when i bought it first time round
scince had it in wifes name then sold it-bought it back-sure its ten previous now....l
i dont really think the owners its had is always a reflection on the car-with the new v5 responsibilities a good few years ago cars now have plenty owners-especially high end stuff
my previous rs4 saloon had 2 previous owners and was a complete banger compared to the estate i have now in every respect interior,exterior,mechanically-some[not all] owners are reluctant to spend cash on long term ownership cars

rs user
4th Gear

Post by rs user » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:07 pm

as for things to be aware of its all pretty well documented on here-some things cause issues but you wont find it till you go to do routine work or have owned it a while such as seized caliper pins on front,seized pinch bolts,
clutch pedal can stick down if you thrash it-but more than likely you are not going to find that out untill you own it[lucky to get a test drive off private seller,let alone letting you thrash it] clutch inc flywheel and fitting can be 2k plus
wingbacks all seem to look pretty tired now so if they are your thing budget for a retrim
its nice to be allowed to do a VCDS scan-if it shows starter relay failures for example you will probs need a starter soon starter itself is not prohibitive in price but about 2-4 hours labour to fit
dont ignore other faults in any of the rs4 specific parts either...it all adds up-expensive cars are normally that way for a reason-somebody has done the £££ worth of work

never before have i seen a car which i would buy on whats been done rather than low milage,obviously if 150k plus its a bit worrying i suppose

RichT128
2nd Gear

Post by RichT128 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:28 pm

My tuppence worth - in general two things happen with new owners. They get a new toy so there's a temptation to push it and see what it can do.

But that new flush of pride often means a high performance car gets looked after well, but after a while complacency can set in and staying on top of jobs can lapse unless you really love the car. So if you're lucky more owners can mean more people looking after it.

So what a number of owners means to.me depends on this push/ pull, but to echo the previous post I'd buy on whether the car has been looked after over all else.

(And my rs4's on 125,000 miles, 150,000 wouldn't bother me at all on a car that's been looked after)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Ferrari 360 Modena F1
No isofix!

Fatneck73
4th Gear

Post by Fatneck73 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:56 pm

As above - mileage and number of owners - dont worry about it. Not an issue.

Serv hist is an obv...but mostly, has it been loved and have the main jobs been invested in. Has it been looked after AND by someone who knows about the car...not just ‘its an audi’. All the ‘known big jibs’ are listed on here multiple times.

But no.1 - share the registration no on here...and poss location.

GA55LAR
Neutral

Post by GA55LAR » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:59 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and sorry I've been a while...work! I've done a fair bit of research on what the usual things are to look for, so hope I'm kinda well prepared, but I'll have a look on here too, Cheers

The reg. is RS04 PGS and it's being sold from Manchester, if anyone has any insight that would be great.

G

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”