4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Fatneck73
4th Gear

Changing propshaft. Easy?

Post by Fatneck73 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:32 pm

Hey

I have a rattle within my propshaft!

Bought another, correct part number.

Easy to change? Dads helping as been a mechanic all his life so there will be enough ‘skills’ but anything to avoid doing / must do ??? Any special tools needed ?

Cheers,

dhali
4th Gear

Re: Changing propshaft. Easy?

Post by dhali » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:24 am

Easy enough . New bolts/ gaskets at either end and clean out the threads . You are supposed to mark the old one before removing and refitting . Also you need a brace ( there is a special tool) to keep the propshaft straight so it doesn't pugt to much stress on the middle bearing when removing / installing . I used a length of 18mm plywood and drilled holes in it at specific points and used very large cable ties . Fitted it to the propshaft before removing it . I used my same propshaft as I was refurbing my rear subframe .
One thing to note is that the bolts are VERY tight at either end . There is again a special tool that counter holds the propshaft whilst you tighten / undo these but a good impact gun will whizz them off/ on with no problem. Your dad being a mechanic will no doubt be able to improvise on any of these specific tools.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”