Number plate light screws

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
cherub72
2nd Gear

Number plate light screws

Post by cherub72 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:35 pm

Hi, I'm about to change out my number plate light bulbs but the screws are mashed beyond use. Last time I did this was on an A3 and I had to take the whole handle assembly out and apply heat to the aluminium to get the screws to release because the steel screws and the aluminium had bonded.

Before I get going on it does anyone happen to know the specs on the screws so I can get replacements in advance? I'm probably going to apply some Teflon tape too to discourage them bonding together

Thanks
RS4 Cabriolet - Phantom Black with Exclusive interior

dhali
4th Gear

Re: Number plate light screws

Post by dhali » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:09 pm

Only info i could get is that its a filister head bolt M3 size . Nothing on length or thread pitch.
I used a phillips #1 bit on a very small ratchet to get mine open . Someone had already had a go on mine so the heads of the screws were in a bit of a state

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:56 pm

Had the same issue on my B7 Avant. OEM screws had stripped the thread on the car-side, eventually the number plate light just fell out. Tried the original screw with some teflon (well ptfe) tape but the screw still fell out. Ended up finding a stainless steel self tapper with a very slightly larger diameter that wasn't countersunk, lots of trial and error, didn't want to butcher the handle assembly car-side as mentioned above, because that is a real pain to remove.
B5 B6 B7 B9

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:01 pm

I'm not familiar with the exact screw fittings on a B7 but with similar issues on my older D2 S8 (and aluminium vs steel to fight as well) I've found rubber Well Nuts a good solution for several low-stress fixings.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”