Intermittent Brake warning light after new pads

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
AviatorEGHH
Neutral

Intermittent Brake warning light after new pads

Post by AviatorEGHH » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:06 am

Hi gents.

Does anyone have any idea why I would be getting the brake warning light come on (only on start up or initial checks, meaning, if it doesn't happen on start up, it doesn't happen at all) after putting brand new Front pads on the car?

This only happens occasionally and I don't know which side is causing it.

TIA
Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, new clutch, DMF, a Milltek, carbon clean, new front shocks.
Last car, B5 S4 Avant, Milltek, Stage 1.

coffey555
5th Gear

Re: Intermittent Brake warning light after new pads

Post by coffey555 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:55 pm

I had this once when the front discs and pads were changed. Went away by itself but drove me mad for a week or two!

Possible moisture or contact cleaner in the sensor connector?
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

MIDZ
2nd Gear

Post by MIDZ » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:34 am

I had same issue after front pads changed and it was the passenger side wear connector that needed cleaned. I'm sure the live runs in series from the control unit under the dash to the drivers side wear sensor first then along to the passenger side sensor then earths. Clean both connections and see if that cures it

rs user
4th Gear

Post by rs user » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:38 am

if this keeps giving you grief you can earth it out in the passenger footwell
you will then have no pad warning light but car will pass a mot-just need to visually inspect

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:17 pm

Your sensor female connectors are knackered. You can buy a replacement kit from Audi. Cut the old one off, solder the new one in and heat shrink sleeve seal the joint.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

S700REX
Neutral

Post by S700REX » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:14 am

Have experienced this too, clean the connectors with a bit of wire wool on the end of a screwdriver and spray a tiny squirt of wd40 in the connector to drive out any moisture. Left everything unplugged in the garage for a day, connected it back up and not seen the light since.

delroyx
1st Gear

Post by delroyx » Thu May 18, 2023 12:12 pm

Sorry for bringing this up again. My car has started to do this too, but only on initial start up. If I turn it off & on again it doesn't do it. I'd be surprised if this was down to an iffy connector as surely it would happen again on restarting? I cleaned both though & I thought maybe a drop in voltage, but I made sure the battery was fully charged & it still did, but only initially. Second start was fine.

Any other ideas? I'm aware I could by pass it in the passenger footwell but I'd prefer to keep it working if possible.

js47
Neutral

Post by js47 » Thu May 18, 2023 12:53 pm

Sorry I don't have any real input yet, but I am investigating the same issue on my car. Though in my case the warning has progressed from intermittent to constant.
2007 RS4 Avant in "Cherry Black Pearl" with Carbon Ceramic brakes. MRC Stage 2.

delroyx
1st Gear

Post by delroyx » Fri May 19, 2023 10:55 am

If it's constant but pads are fine & you've checked cleaned connectors (might also be worth trying a new set of pads just plugged in) & the wires are still connected on the pads, I'd imagine it would be a problem with the loom somewhere.

I came across this thread to fully remove it:

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthre ... t-solution

SeikoKid
Neutral

Post by SeikoKid » Tue May 23, 2023 5:58 am

Same happened to me. I sprayed electrical contact cleaner on the car side and then plug unplug a few times and has gone away

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”