RNS-e Dension GWP1AC1 install

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
S700REX
Neutral

RNS-e Dension GWP1AC1 install

Post by S700REX » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:11 pm

Having researched multiple options for bluetooth audio streaming in a B7 RS4, I have settled on the Dension Gateway BT GWP1AC1 with the optional EXT1CP2. There is a lot of information online about doing this install, but I thought a consolidated post to help document my findings may help others save some time!

For this solution to work with the controls on the steering wheel you will need the non-flat bottom (multi-function) steering wheel.

Parts/tools needed:
  • 4x RNS-e radio removal keys - I used these https://amzn.to/3eSLllr (though I'd probably buy some slightly better ones next time)
  • Drill & 13mm drill bit - to put a hole in the back of the single din radio pocket
  • Double sided foam backed sticky tape
Process
  • Remove the RNS-e head unit & 6 cd multi-changer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7WHMZFg5kE - It's worth noting that these can be quite stubborn to remove, and wiggling diagonally opposite keys seemed to work well for me.
  • Drill a couple of holes in the back of the single din pocket, pop both wires through and connect as per the video above. Attach to the pocket using the double sided foam backed sticky tape.
It's a really straight forward install and the Dension works pretty well with the RNS-e!

DavidRS4
4th Gear

Re: RNS-e Dension GWP1AC1 install

Post by DavidRS4 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:55 am

Any pictures?
B7 RS4 Saloon, Phantom Black, Forge Oil Cooler Kit, 20 x 10.5j Vossens, Carbon Front Splitter, KW V3 Coilovers, Adjustable Front Arms, 20mm Spacers, Revolution Carbon Air Box, Rear 4 Pot Porsche Brake Conversion, Stud & Nut Kit, Milltek Non Res Non Valved Exhaust, RS6 Gloss Black Grill, Slightly Tinted Windows, JH Motorsports Stage 3R Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel, Robnic Braided Clutch Line. JH Motorsports Lightweight Grooved F & R Rotors with Braided Hoses and Hawk Pads

S700REX
Neutral

Post by S700REX » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:10 am

DavidRS4 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:55 am
Any pictures?
Didn't get any during the install, my photography skills leave a lot to be desired. The videos cover everything you need to do, and the image at the link below shows how it looks in the glovebox now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M_wyKn ... sp=sharing

Cheers

DavidRS4
4th Gear

Post by DavidRS4 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:10 am

Thanks 👍
B7 RS4 Saloon, Phantom Black, Forge Oil Cooler Kit, 20 x 10.5j Vossens, Carbon Front Splitter, KW V3 Coilovers, Adjustable Front Arms, 20mm Spacers, Revolution Carbon Air Box, Rear 4 Pot Porsche Brake Conversion, Stud & Nut Kit, Milltek Non Res Non Valved Exhaust, RS6 Gloss Black Grill, Slightly Tinted Windows, JH Motorsports Stage 3R Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel, Robnic Braided Clutch Line. JH Motorsports Lightweight Grooved F & R Rotors with Braided Hoses and Hawk Pads

ranjag
Neutral

Post by ranjag » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:30 am

Great install clip, thanks for sharing, any idea on pricing and source for the complete kits.

S700REX
Neutral

Post by S700REX » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:02 am

ranjag wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:30 am
Great install clip, thanks for sharing, any idea on pricing and source for the complete kits.
The whole thing cost just over £200 and about an hour to fit.

Couldn't find a whole kit but purchased all the items from the links in my original post. Price breakdown below.

Radio removal keys - £3.60
Single Din Radio Pocket - £5.28
Dension Gateway GWP1AC1 - £177.67
Dension Gateway Extension Port - £25.27
Foam Tape (Amazon) - £2.75
Total = £214.57

Cheers.

highrise
1st Gear

Post by highrise » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:38 pm

Hi,

I appreciate this is an old post but I've just installed a RNS-e Dension GWP1AC1 and updated the firmware to the latest version.

I'm having the following issues:

- Cannot connect my Android phone to the Bluetooth audio (just connects as a headset)
- I can connect my Laptop but when I play audio it's completely scrambled.

I wondered if any B7 RS4 owners with this setup had any of these issues?

Can you confirm the dip switch settings on the Dension device? It's instructed to be all in the OFF position, but also read on the firmware update that switch 4 may need to be in the ON position.

Thanks

highrise
1st Gear

Post by highrise » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:47 am

Quick follow up. I'd missed the part about the flat bottom steering wheel not being compatible with the Dension GWP1AC1.

I ended up installing the Dension Gateway Lite BT GBL3AI2. It works well for calls and audio.

otb123
Neutral

Post by otb123 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:47 am

Would you recommend it then? Similar to the previous version you had but cheaper aswell?

Just about to purchase one tonight if all is good with yours!

highrise
1st Gear

Post by highrise » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:03 pm

Yes, I would recommend it, sounds great through the Bose system.

It's not quite as smart as a car system around handling multiple devices as there is no user interface, you just have to make sure you disconnect other devices.

It runs by spoofing the CD player, so you still have the CD player running on the RNS-e. There are no track names etc sent to the car, I don't have an issue with this as I use the phone for most of it.

I'm in the UK and made the mistake of ordering directly from Dension in Hungary and had to pay a bunch of import tax!

The install is pretty easy. I ran the microphone behind the radio and have it mounted just to the left of the steering wheel, it was the most discreet place without taking the car apart. Seems to work ok.

PM me if you want any specific info on the install.

Cheers

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”