DRIVE SHAFT ISSUE I THINK ?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
WRS4
2nd Gear

DRIVE SHAFT ISSUE I THINK ?

Post by WRS4 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:50 pm

My original post seems to have disappeared ?

ok so the other day as I pulled up outside my house I heard something under the car near the drivers front wheel, didn't think anything of it until I went to reverse onto my drive and I had no drive? clutch pedal seems perfectly normal and was only changed last year, goes into all gears perfectly fine, and I had a gearbox rebuild last year too so hopefully its non of those issues, Anyway my son helped me push it onto the drive. I tried it again in all gears but when I raise the clutch all I can hear is like a spinning sound but the car wont move ?

Today I have raised it on axle stands or at least the front anyway, first thing I found was lots of grease inside the front drivers side wheel, I then grabbed what I assume is the driveshaft (sorry im no mechanic lol) or is it classed as an axle ? anyway it wobbles and as I pushed it back a bit it seemed to come out of the socket, obviously the cv boot is still on so I cant see whats going on as of yet but im hoping that ive either broke a driveshaft or its popped out as this I assume is a cheaper job then anything else it could be ?

I have looked online as im confused as to why as its a 4 wheel drive then why the other 3 wheels don't move the car, but apparently if I have read it right the power will all go to the least resistance area that being the broken driveshaft hence the car wont move is this correct?

any thoughts and advice please as to it is called a drive shaft? where can I get a good price for one and from what ive said would you agree that's all my problem is ? fingers crossed
Sprint Blue RS4 - 20" X 10J 3DSM Wheels - Carbon Front Splitter - Carbon Rear Diffuser - H & R Anti Roll Bars - Bilstein Adjustable Shocks - Milltek Exhaust System - De Catted - Valve Removed - MRC Stage 2 Re-Map - 480 bhp

WRS4
2nd Gear

Re: DRIVE SHAFT ISSUE I THINK ?

Post by WRS4 » Thu May 28, 2020 6:20 pm

so just been doing you tube research lol, from what I gather I need a cv boot kit and outer cv joint as theres no reason for me to think the inner one near the gear box has anything wrong with it as the end near the hub is very wobbly and obviously has an issue, can anyone just advise im on the right path so I know what im sort of doing haha
Sprint Blue RS4 - 20" X 10J 3DSM Wheels - Carbon Front Splitter - Carbon Rear Diffuser - H & R Anti Roll Bars - Bilstein Adjustable Shocks - Milltek Exhaust System - De Catted - Valve Removed - MRC Stage 2 Re-Map - 480 bhp

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Thu May 28, 2020 8:22 pm

Sounds like you're on the right track.
What you say makes sense, but I'm no mechanic.
Does the drive shaft spin when you put it in gear with the engine on? I assume thats what is making the spinning noise which would imply its the outer CV joint / hub where the problem is.

Mike

KernowPete
4th Gear

Post by KernowPete » Sun May 31, 2020 5:22 pm

I had this on mine, happened completely out of the blue one evening. Felt like it was driving fine, changed down to go uphill and just had no drive. Clutch felt fine, and would go into all gears but no drive at all. Turned out that the splines on one of the driveshafts had failed. Cost circa £650 iirc at an indie to supply and fit a new one plus the necessary ancillaries
2007 B7 RS4 Phantom Black Saloon - stock
Previous: Lightly modded Mondeo ST220 (great car), nothing else worth mentioning!

WRS4
2nd Gear

Post by WRS4 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:36 am

BIT LATE as i fixed the car 2 months ago but to confirm incase anyone else gets the same issue, is was the driveshaft, parts cost me about£40 and did it myself and everything ok now

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”