Lower door blade

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Look595
Neutral

Lower door blade

Post by Look595 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:45 am

Question,
Although I’ve no issue at present, is it worth removing the lower door blades to clean/wax and replace to prevent any further issues and inspect current state.
Or am I asking for trouble removing, breaking clips/unable to re-fit correctly ect.
I know there’s two retaining screws to remove then simply slide back....easier said then done I’m presuming.
Anyone done this with no problems encountered?

Steve

AA_954
1st Gear

Lower door blade

Post by AA_954 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:51 pm

Look595 wrote:Question,
Although I’ve no issue at present, is it worth removing the lower door blades to clean/wax and replace to prevent any further issues and inspect current state.
Or am I asking for trouble removing, breaking clips/unable to re-fit correctly ect.
I know there’s two retaining screws to remove then simply slide back....easier said then done I’m presuming.
Anyone done this with no problems encountered?

Steve
It’s very easy to remove as long as they are still in good shape, the process is just as you described and its worth doing to make sure they are cleaned out thoroughly periodically, the accumulation of road grime and gunk helps the inside of the blades rust over time and will cease to look smooth but wavy, they are not cheap to replace when you consider the cost of the part plus color matching it with the rest of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bristol RS
1st Gear

Re: Lower door blade

Post by Bristol RS » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:50 pm

Replaced my drivers door one a few weeks back and it came off quite easily you just need to pull it backwards after removing the two screws. Mine was past saving so had to buy one along with some rattle cans for paint and lacquer. Gave the door bottom a good clean and a liberal dose of WD40 around the locating lugs before fitting.
55 Plate RS4 B7 in Phantom Black

Look595
Neutral

Post by Look595 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:38 pm

Cheers, I’ll put it on to Wednesdays ‘to do list’ 👍

ArthurPE
Cruising

Post by ArthurPE » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:26 pm

Definitely worth doing.
Mine were delaminating a bit and I applied epoxy and clamped them.
Looked like new
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe...Albert Einstein

neil_f
2nd Gear

Post by neil_f » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:39 pm

Bristol RS wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:50 pm
Replaced my drivers door one a few weeks back and it came off quite easily you just need to pull it backwards after removing the two screws. Mine was past saving so had to buy one along with some rattle cans for paint and lacquer. Gave the door bottom a good clean and a liberal dose of WD40 around the locating lugs before fitting.
Did you get a decent colour match/ paint finish doing it with spray cans?

moondog01
Neutral

Post by moondog01 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:33 pm

I had an issue with my passengers side door blade. The steel strip that was inside it for rigidity I guess, started rusting badly and lifting blade away from door. My assumption was due to salted roads in England where car was from. Don't know why Audi didn't use stainless. New blade from Audi was hideously priced so decided to try and fix old one.
Took it off, put it upside down on some carpet, gently popped out plastic track that the door studs locate to that fits inside rusty bit. Then slowly removed rusted section inside blade with a mixture of longnosed pliers and chisels etc. It's fiddly and took a while.....try not to bend the blade too much while doing this, you don't want a crease in it.....Then glued plastic track back into blade with gripfill builders glue and clamped.
Put back on car and looks mint. Saved a few bucks for anyone with same problem.
'06 RS4 B7

Fatneck73
4th Gear

Post by Fatneck73 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:50 pm

moondog01 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:33 pm
I had an issue with my passengers side door blade. The steel strip that was inside it for rigidity I guess, started rusting badly and lifting blade away from door. My assumption was due to salted roads in England where car was from. Don't know why Audi didn't use stainless. New blade from Audi was hideously priced so decided to try and fix old one.
Took it off, put it upside down on some carpet, gently popped out plastic track that the door studs locate to that fits inside rusty bit. Then slowly removed rusted section inside blade with a mixture of longnosed pliers and chisels etc. It's fiddly and took a while.....try not to bend the blade too much while doing this, you don't want a crease in it.....Then glued plastic track back into blade with gripfill builders glue and clamped.
So...removed the steel strip then replaced????

Assuming the answer is yes, I think i’ll be doing this soon.

Bristol RS
1st Gear

Post by Bristol RS » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:17 pm

neil_f wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:39 pm
Bristol RS wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:50 pm
Hi mate, yeah surprised myself especially with it being Phantom Black. Will take a pic when the car is cleaned. Used Halfords paint and lacquer as this has always been good to me in the past and the nozzles don’t clog easily which is always a pain on cheaper spray cans! Just need to take a bit of time especially with the prep. Left it a week to harden and used some ultimate compound to finish it off

Bristol RS
1st Gear

Post by Bristol RS » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:48 pm

neil_f wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:39 pm
Attachments
905502A6-36F8-4AC8-8AF2-664C2C472779.jpeg

moondog01
Neutral

Post by moondog01 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:38 pm

Fatneck73 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:50 pm
moondog01 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:33 pm
So...removed the steel strip then replaced????

Assuming the answer is yes, I think i’ll be doing this soon.
No. The strip taken out completely. It's moulded into the plastic.
'06 RS4 B7

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”