Laying up for a few months

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
MapleSyrupJizz
Neutral

Laying up for a few months

Post by MapleSyrupJizz » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:42 pm

Hey everyone,

At the end of September I'll be laying up the RS4. The front DRC needs doing and I just done have the funds to get it right. Whether its coilovers or OEM parts.

Worst case scenario it'll be the far side of December by the time I get it done.

Are there any tips you have for me?

It's going to be under a cover as I don't have a garage so I don't know my options for a trickle charger however, I wouldn't mind disconnected the battery just incase anyone tries to knick it.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
MSJ

coffey555
5th Gear

Re: Laying up for a few months

Post by coffey555 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:32 pm

What bits do you need? I have a pair of brand new front DRC shocks and lightly used front hoses.

I would keep it on a trickle charger, coat the discs with a brake cleaner that contains light oil and leave the handbrake off.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

MapleSyrupJizz
Neutral

Post by MapleSyrupJizz » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:46 pm

Really? That would be great. It’s the front drivers side is starting to leak. Don’t want to put too many miles on it as there is a knock every now and then.

I’ll try get a solar trickle charger. It won’t be parked near a power source unfortunately.

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:44 am

Solar trickle chargers..... where are you based? I live in Scotland and my experience with them is they do not work very well. Would be fine in the South of Italy but from Sept to December there is not much sun. It was a decent size panel as well, took up hslf the dashboard.

So probably better to disconnect the battery. I do however still have the said solar panel. I can sell you it cheap if you want to try it?

I would recommend having the metal DRC pipework inspected before fitting any new shocks as if it is badly corroded you would be better off financially fitting coilovers.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

MapleSyrupJizz
Neutral

Post by MapleSyrupJizz » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:20 am

Im based in Ireland so probably the same if not less sunlight that you. haha.

I'll probably be going to Audi for the DRC. Only people in the country, to my knowledge anyway, you will be able to carry out the work. And the cost to get over to somewhere like Unit20 would be the same as the overall dealer cost. Ill be sticking with DRC anyway. Im a bit of an originality freak.

Its interesting to know about the pipes. I dont know how corroded they are. They're obviously far from perfect however its in overall great condition. Its only gone 70k miles and this is the first shock to go. From what I've read that's not bad going so hopefully the rest of it has held up too.

lushman
3rd Gear

Post by lushman » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:19 pm

MapleSyrupJizz wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:20 am

I'll probably be going to Audi for the DRC. Only people in the country, to my knowledge anyway, you will be able to carry out the work. And the cost to get over to somewhere like Unit20 would be the same as the overall dealer cost. Ill be sticking with DRC anyway. Im a bit of an originality freak.

Its interesting to know about the pipes. I dont know how corroded they are. They're obviously far from perfect however its in overall great condition. Its only gone 70k miles and this is the first shock to go. From what I've read that's not bad going so hopefully the rest of it has held up too.

Terry McEvoy in Carryduff just outside Belfast can do DRC except for pressurising once fitted. If memory serves me right PistolPete on here got him to do all the work and then arranged a lowloader to take his car to Audi to have the DRC pressurised.

Search his posts as he posted about the process.
2006 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue & Black Optics
2000 Avus Silver B5 RS4 - Gone

DavidRS4
4th Gear

Post by DavidRS4 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:59 pm

Good advice there.
B7 RS4 Saloon, Phantom Black, Forge Oil Cooler Kit, 20 x 10.5j Vossens, Carbon Front Splitter, KW V3 Coilovers, Adjustable Front Arms, 20mm Spacers, Revolution Carbon Air Box, Rear 4 Pot Porsche Brake Conversion, Stud & Nut Kit, Milltek Non Res Non Valved Exhaust, RS6 Gloss Black Grill, Slightly Tinted Windows, JH Motorsports Stage 3R Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel, Robnic Braided Clutch Line. JH Motorsports Lightweight Grooved F & R Rotors with Braided Hoses and Hawk Pads

Pistolpete2543
3rd Gear

Post by Pistolpete2543 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:54 pm

lushman wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:19 pm
MapleSyrupJizz wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:20 am

Terry McEvoy in Carryduff just outside Belfast can do DRC except for pressurising once fitted. If memory serves me right PistolPete on here got him to do all the work and then arranged a lowloader to take his car to Audi to have the DRC pressurised.

Search his posts as he posted about the process.
Yes that’s correct, McEvoys did all the work (new pipework all round, all shocks replaced), then low loader to Belfast Audi to recharge the system.

MapleSyrupJizz
Neutral

Post by MapleSyrupJizz » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:02 pm

This is great info!

Thanks, lads! I’ll get on to him.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”