Battery disconnected

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
MrRSB7
1st Gear

Battery disconnected

Post by MrRSB7 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:32 pm

I’ve had a few issues with the car alar going off recently , no idea as to why.....

I live with it as it’s only once a week,

But we are going on holiday for two weeks soon, and rather than leave a key with neighbours , I’ve decided to disconnect the battery for the two weeks we are away

Do you think there will be any serious problems caused occurring by doing this?? Many thanks
2006 2-tone merlin purple , decat delete, res delete, x-pipe and rear back box delete......rs5 alloys.. silver brake callipers

AlexB7RS4
2nd Gear

Re: Battery disconnected

Post by AlexB7RS4 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:13 pm

Should be fine. Just disconnect the negative terminal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alex760
1st Gear

Post by alex760 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:48 pm

I had my battery disconnected for about 5 weeks whilst I was doing a few bits and only had a couple of little things to setup.
The keys did need re-pairing and the standard alarm went off when I reconnected the battery and opened the door, as I have an aftermarket alarm/immo anyway it wasn't an issue.
The windows just need running up and down to reset the one touch and the open/close with the fob.
I also had an ESP light on start up which went as soon as I drove down the road.

cheers

MrRSB7
1st Gear

Post by MrRSB7 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:17 pm

Thanks guys

Out of interest, why only the negative terminal?
2006 2-tone merlin purple , decat delete, res delete, x-pipe and rear back box delete......rs5 alloys.. silver brake callipers

AlexB7RS4
2nd Gear

Post by AlexB7RS4 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:32 am

You could do both if you wanted but you only need to break the circuit to stop the battery depleting so no reason to disconnect both.

Disconnecting the negative disconnects the chassis ground from the battery. The chassis acts as one big negative wire. So if you did the reverse and disconnected only the +ve all you need is any +ve charge (such as, say, from the now disconnected positive terminal of the battery you just disconnected) contacting anywhere with the chassis to make the car go live. Much safer to disconnect the negative.

This is also the reason you always disconnect the negative terminal first, also the reason you should connect jumper cables to positive first (ie the circuit should be broken on the negative first).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”