SEAT Exeo RNSE Sat Nav in B7 RS4...

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
fairzy
2nd Gear

SEAT Exeo RNSE Sat Nav in B7 RS4...

Post by fairzy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:27 am

I recently bought a SEAT Exeo Sat Nav to upgrade my RS4’s old gen 1 RNSE.

Firstly, so far it’s a nice simple swap - DIS is fully working, screen is amazing in comparison with the old version.

One small problem, BOSE isn’t working - the front speakers seem ok but the rears are very quiet (almost like only the door tweeters are working) and the Sub is definitely not working. I’ve read online about people swapping pin 7 / 3 but it looks like that’s for people swapping from Concert to RNSE, not old to new RNSE.

Any suggestions? Could it be a coding issue?

Thanks in advance! :beerchug:

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Re: SEAT RNSE Sat Nav in B7 RS4...

Post by Rick_RS4 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:05 pm

I'd say coding

fairzy
2nd Gear

Post by fairzy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:12 pm

Rick_RS4 wrote:I'd say coding
Thanks mate, any ideas what to check or just plug the old one in and compare with settings for the new?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fairzy
2nd Gear

Post by fairzy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:31 pm

After a bit more researching online I might have found the problem... Need to check VCDS tonight when I can plug it in but need to make sure BOSE is configured:

56 (Radio System)> Function 07 > should be xxx9xxx

Should also be able to change the start screen:

18 (start screen) > Adaption > Start Screen > 0 = standard or 3 = RS 4

I’ll try this and report back - hopefully it will help someone out.

Kenny147
2nd Gear

Post by Kenny147 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:11 pm

The Ross Tech wiki page you want to look at, seems to be down at the moment but that’s the first place to start.

One thing before you start changing the coding, run a scan and save the txt file. It’ll show the current coding of each module and you might need it if things go awry.

Apologies if I’m telling you something, you already know.

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:33 pm

You will need to enable Bose otherwise the Bose amp is powered correctly.

Second point you can’t select RS4 for the screen. Well you can but it doesn’t do anything. This is because the later generation RNSE was not available in the RS4 so there is no splash screen loaded. You can however set it to Audi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White
S4 B7 Phantom Black (gone but not forgotten)
A4 B7 Avant 2.7 TDI Brilliant Red
A5 Cab 3.0 TDI Phantom Black

fairzy
2nd Gear

Post by fairzy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:48 pm

Kenny147 wrote:The Ross Tech wiki page you want to look at, seems to be down at the moment but that’s the first place to start.

One thing before you start changing the coding, run a scan and save the txt file. It’ll show the current coding of each module and you might need it if things go awry.

Apologies if I’m telling you something, you already know.
That was my first thought and the first place I went to - usually it’s really helpful. Hopefully it’ll be back online soon.

Thanks

fairzy
2nd Gear

Post by fairzy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:49 pm

Jon_J wrote:You will need to enable Bose otherwise the Bose amp is powered correctly.

Second point you can’t select RS4 for the screen. Well you can but it doesn’t do anything. This is because the later generation RNSE was not available in the RS4 so there is no splash screen loaded. You can however set it to Audi.

Thanks - should I just do 0 then - from memory the other settings were S3 / TT etc?

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:51 pm

fairzy wrote:
Jon_J wrote:You will need to enable Bose otherwise the Bose amp is powered correctly.

Thanks - should I just do 0 then - from memory the other settings were S3 / TT etc?

VCDS gives you the code translations. Can’t remember what Audi is.

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

fairzy
2nd Gear

Post by fairzy » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:44 pm

Quick update - everything is now working as it should. I connected VCDS and it was already coded ok (9 as above for BOSE) but just needed an MMI reboot (hold radio and setup until it restarts). I only changed the startup screen in VCDS. If it helps anyone you stay in the radio section (57) and click on adaptations rather than coding, change the channel to 18 and then the setting from 6 (if from a SEAT) to 0. It now shows the Audi MMI startup screen.

After all of that I’d definitely recommend swapping to a SEAT Exeo navigation unit. It cost me less than £200 and was plug and play - in fact after resetting the unit I only needed VCDS to change the startup screen.

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:30 pm

Hi. Can you comment on the performance of the sat nav please. What is the latest nav year for it? Where can you get one and do you have a part number please.

Thank you

murph7355
3rd Gear

Post by murph7355 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:31 pm

fairzy wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:44 pm
Quick update - everything is now working as it should. I connected VCDS and it was already coded ok (9 as above for BOSE) but just needed an MMI reboot (hold radio and setup until it restarts). I only changed the startup screen in VCDS. If it helps anyone you stay in the radio section (57) and click on adaptations rather than coding, change the channel to 18 and then the setting from 6 (if from a SEAT) to 0. It now shows the Audi MMI startup screen.

After all of that I’d definitely recommend swapping to a SEAT Exeo navigation unit. It cost me less than £200 and was plug and play - in fact after resetting the unit I only needed VCDS to change the startup screen.
Was that £200 for the whole RNSE unit?

What other features does it give?

Presumably 7 digit postcodes? Can it take bigger memory cards? Anything else interesting?

Kenny147
2nd Gear

Post by Kenny147 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:58 pm

The MkII RNSE unit has a higher res screen, faster processor and takes higher capacity SD cards. The best part for those that want an OEM look is that you can connect an A3 AMI unit.

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:57 am

7 digit postcode is not available on them. Some discs have it, if I recall 2015 had it but otherwise no. It’s not related to the unit, it’s related to the disk. I have 2018 disc in mine at the moment.

The MMI is the best feature for me, also I have a high res reverse camera.

For me, I’m yet to see an aftermarket unit that looks like it belongs. The MK2 RNSE of course looks like it belongs and with the addition of the MMI means you can connect your phone to it and browse your music from the RNSE. Sound quality of the RNSE & MMI compared with blue tooth or headphone jack is night and day.

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

fairzy
2nd Gear

Post by fairzy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:39 am

Jon_J wrote:7 digit postcode is not available on them. Some discs have it, if I recall 2015 had it but otherwise no. It’s not related to the unit, it’s related to the disk. I have 2018 disc in mine at the moment.

The MMI is the best feature for me, also I have a high res reverse camera.

For me, I’m yet to see an aftermarket unit that looks like it belongs. The MK2 RNSE of course looks like it belongs and with the addition of the MMI means you can connect your phone to it and browse your music from the RNSE. Sound quality of the RNSE & MMI compared with blue tooth or headphone jack is night and day.

Reversing camera you say Image

Easy to do? What parts do you need?

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”