SEAT Exeo RNSE Sat Nav in B7 RS4...

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
fairzy
2nd Gear

Re: SEAT RNSE Sat Nav in B7 RS4...

Post by fairzy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:23 am

HPsauce wrote:How recent is your "new" RNS from the Seat?
I found some information online that suggests that from about 2009 VAG changed the Bose control from a separate wire to a CANBUS signal, so there are updated head units and updated Bose amps that work this way. Saves on wiring/weight etc.
As from 2009 (I think) the Bose amp became reference Bose 6000 CANTT, part number 8J0 035 223 D and it turns on with a CAN bus signal.
Really good info, thank you - it’s from a 2013 so likely to be different based on what you’ve said...

Any ideas what needs changing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:59 am

fairzy wrote:
I found some information online that suggests that from about 2009 VAG changed the Bose control from a separate wire to a CANBUS signal, so there are updated head units and updated Bose amps that work this way. Saves on wiring/weight etc.
As from 2009 (I think) the Bose amp became reference Bose 6000 CANTT, part number 8J0 035 223 D and it turns on with a CAN bus signal.
Really good info, thank you - it’s from a 2013 so likely to be different based on what you’ve said...

Aha! That’ll be the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White
S4 B7 Phantom Black (gone but not forgotten)
A4 B7 Avant 2.7 TDI Brilliant Red
A5 Cab 3.0 TDI Phantom Black

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:03 pm

fairzy wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:23 am

A lot I suspect.
Personally I'd probably try putting a relay in the Bose Amp power supply and see if there's a signal wire you can pick up from the RNS-E to turn it on.
Failing that use an ignition on signal to trigger the relay and power up the amp.
If not it's a new amp and extra wiring to get the CANBUS to it which may be quite difficult!
Or if desperate just a big manual switch that you operate?

I know with an RNS-D there's a "switched live" output that is only on when the RNS is on, I use that in my car to power on an aftermarket DVB-T tuner via a relay.
(That means if I turn the RNS on without a key in the ignition I can watch TV - an RNS-D will I think stay on for an hour like that)
Don't know enough about RNS-E wiring to say if it has a similar convenience.

Alternatively, what exact signal does your Bose amp need, can you just rig something simple up from an "ignition on" circuit?

MB2
Top Gear

Re: SEAT Exeo RNSE Sat Nav in B7 RS4...

Post by MB2 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:01 pm

I had similar when I fitted a non CAN satnav (MFD) into a VW which had canbus controlling the stereo (fortunately no amp). I had to find the appropriate wires around the car - as suggested easiest will likely be some way of activating the amp when ignition of better still the stereo comes on if you can find a wire that goes live when that happens.

Maybe the pinout at the back will help you.

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Indeed, the RNS-E layout is a bit different to the RNS-D (with which I'm familiar) but does seem to provide 12V outputs to trigger accessories when the RNS is "on".
So, first thing I'd be testing is whether any of those apparently suitable outputs, or even a "live with ignition on" input can supply a signal.
Then you need to figure out whether that signal can be used (or converted) to switch the Bose amp on and off.
Your Bose is "old school" so the signalling is presumably very simple, probably no more than a 5V or 12V signal that's either on or off!
(As noted above I've used the "RNS is on" signal to trigger a relay for a DVB-T tuner in my car, though that's one generation earlier)

fairzy
2nd Gear

Post by fairzy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:26 pm

HPsauce wrote:Indeed, the RNS-E layout is a bit different to the RNS-D (with which I'm familiar) but does seem to provide 12V outputs to trigger accessories when the RNS is "on".
So, first thing I'd be testing is whether any of those apparently suitable outputs, or even a "live with ignition on" input can supply a signal.
Then you need to figure out whether that signal can be used (or converted) to switch the Bose amp on and off.
Your Bose is "old school" so the signalling is presumably very simple, probably no more than a 5V or 12V signal that's either on or off!
(As noted above I've used the "RNS is on" signal to trigger a relay for a DVB-T tuner in my car, though that's one generation earlier)
So much for simple plug and play!! I was hoping that as the Exeo was on the same platform it would be near enough identical and didn’t realise so much had changed. Out of interest is there anyway of testing that the BOSE amp isn’t turning off? Just thinking I want to be sure this is the issue before trying to fix it...

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:06 pm

As suggested above, just disconnect it and compare battery drain. Other than that, as I presume it has no "on" indicator" just measuring it's current draw, which probably means breaking into the circuit.

Edit: If your Bose amp has a 25-pin connector it "appears" that pin 25 is the one that requires a +12v signal to turn the amplifier on. Pin 13 is the constant 12v from the battery, adjacent to 25 but in the other row.
BUT I'd verify that as much as you can, then measure it yourself in your car, then test it by putting a switch in the circuit.
Wasn't there an earlier post offering a wiring diagram?

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:43 pm

fairzy wrote:
HPsauce wrote:Indeed, the RNS-E layout is a bit different to the RNS-D (with which I'm familiar) but does seem to provide 12V outputs to trigger accessories when the RNS is "on".
So much for simple plug and play!! I was hoping that as the Exeo was on the same platform it would be near enough identical and didn’t realise so much had changed. Out of interest is there anyway of testing that the BOSE amp isn’t turning off? Just thinking I want to be sure this is the issue before trying to fix it...

It is plug and play. I have three in separate cars. You bought one that’s too new. Well it and get a slightly older model.

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

fairzy
2nd Gear

Post by fairzy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:54 pm

fairzy wrote:
HPsauce wrote:
Jon_J wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:35 am
No need to unplug the amp. The RNSE should go off. It controls the amp.
This is what my previous brief post was alluding to, maybe that (control) isn't happening for some reason even if the RNS-E appears "off"?
I’ll try it again for longer to see if it does work but will do it at home (when I can charge the battery) Image

Tried this and after 30mins the head unit powers off. Pretty sure it doesn’t help with the amp issue but thought I’d cross this off the list.

I’ll plug the battery charger in and see how much it’s dropped. With any luck it’s just a coincidence after doing lots of little journeys rather than an issue with the amp Image

Badman
2nd Gear

Post by Badman » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:02 pm

fairzy wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:44 pm
Quick update - everything is now working as it should. I connected VCDS and it was already coded ok (9 as above for BOSE) but just needed an MMI reboot (hold radio and setup until it restarts). I only changed the startup screen in VCDS. If it helps anyone you stay in the radio section (57) and click on adaptations rather than coding, change the channel to 18 and then the setting from 6 (if from a SEAT) to 0. It now shows the Audi MMI startup screen.

After all of that I’d definitely recommend swapping to a SEAT Exeo navigation unit. It cost me less than £200 and was plug and play - in fact after resetting the unit I only needed VCDS to change the startup screen.

Where did you get this from mate ?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:30 pm

The Bose from memory would receive a 12v trigger voltage when the car is unlocked (I assumed it came from the RNS-E but in theory could come from a controller somehwere. It would stay on until 30 mins after the car is turned off or about 30 seconds after the car is locked.
And I know it is 12v (not 5v) as I used it to as the remote wire for my processor and amplifiers.

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:23 pm

That should be pretty simple. Pretty much the same as I use to activate (via a relay) my TV tuner from the RNS-D.
With Bose you probably wouldn't need an external relay though.

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:55 pm

MikeFish wrote:The Bose from memory would receive a 12v trigger voltage when the car is unlocked (I assumed it came from the RNS-E but in theory could come from a controller somehwere. It would stay on until 30 mins after the car is turned off or about 30 seconds after the car is locked.
And I know it is 12v (not 5v) as I used it to as the remote wire for my processor and amplifiers.
Definitely is. I use it to as a remote wire. Although I might change that. Having a small Bose amp on for 30 mins is one thing, having a whole host of amps on is quite another. I’m going to rewrite it so I can control the amps.

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

fairzy
2nd Gear

Post by fairzy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:44 am

Thank you for all of the feedback. Finally got a multimeter so am going to see what drain I get with the BOSE amp plugged in vs. unplugged - hopefully none!

I’ll let you know how I get on. Hope all of this info will help anyone else thinking of doing this.

Daytona
3rd Gear

Post by Daytona » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:11 pm

Jon_J wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:43 pm
fairzy wrote:

It is plug and play. I have three in separate cars. You bought one that’s too new. Well it and get a slightly older model.

Jon, do you happen to know how to differentiate between early and later models?

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”