4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Daytona
3rd Gear

Re: SEAT Exeo RNSE Sat Nav in B7 RS4...

Post by Daytona » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:11 pm

Jon_J wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:43 pm
fairzy wrote:
HPsauce wrote:Indeed, the RNS-E layout is a bit different to the RNS-D (with which I'm familiar) but does seem to provide 12V outputs to trigger accessories when the RNS is "on".
So, first thing I'd be testing is whether any of those apparently suitable outputs, or even a "live with ignition on" input can supply a signal.
Then you need to figure out whether that signal can be used (or converted) to switch the Bose amp on and off.
Your Bose is "old school" so the signalling is presumably very simple, probably no more than a 5V or 12V signal that's either on or off!
(As noted above I've used the "RNS is on" signal to trigger a relay for a DVB-T tuner in my car, though that's one generation earlier)
So much for simple plug and play!! I was hoping that as the Exeo was on the same platform it would be near enough identical and didn’t realise so much had changed. Out of interest is there anyway of testing that the BOSE amp isn’t turning off? Just thinking I want to be sure this is the issue before trying to fix it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is plug and play. I have three in separate cars. You bought one that’s too new. Well it and get a slightly older model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jon, do you happen to know how to differentiate between early and later models?

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:21 pm

Daytona wrote:
Jon_J wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:43 pm
fairzy wrote: So much for simple plug and play!! I was hoping that as the Exeo was on the same platform it would be near enough identical and didn’t realise so much had changed. Out of interest is there anyway of testing that the BOSE amp isn’t turning off? Just thinking I want to be sure this is the issue before trying to fix it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is plug and play. I have three in separate cars. You bought one that’s too new. Well it and get a slightly older model.

Jon, do you happen to know how to differentiate between early and later models?
No I don’t. I expect the part numbers are different though

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White
S4 B7 Phantom Black (gone but not forgotten)
A4 B7 Avant 2.7 TDI Brilliant Red
A5 Cab 3.0 TDI Phantom Black

fairzy
2nd Gear

SEAT Exeo RNSE Sat Nav in B7 RS4...

Post by fairzy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:12 pm

So after some extensive testing today I can confirm that there is NO additional battery drain with the amp plugged in vs. unplugged. I can only assume my flat battery was due to lots of short trips and car being left for a few long weekends.

After disconnecting the battery my fuel guage stopped working - if anyone comes across the same problem just turn engine off and remove the fuse for the instrument cluster (15 from memory) plug it back in turn car on and off you go.

So in summary, I believe that any Exeo sat nav should work ok - mines a 2013 version and it seems the flat battery wasn't linked. Hope this helps

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited by fairzy on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:12 pm

To differentiate between units, I would have thought the pin diagram on top of the unit would show if it controls the Bose amp by pin or via can.
I think the Bose pin is no. 7 connector 2 so if its not on the pin diagram, it'll be controlled via can.

Just a thought

Mike

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

fairzy
2nd Gear

Post by fairzy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:18 pm

I thought there might be a difference with the pins also but someone sent me a pic of a 2010 unit and it was identical to mine.

rocket1
4th Gear

Post by rocket1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:53 pm

Are these seat rnse units then dab equipped?
rs4 b7 daytona avant. Miltek resonated valved, Mrc stage 2
vw touran 2.0tdi, blue /black leather. family wagon!!.
repsol honda fireblade.
Zx12r b1 in black and gold. The colour to have!!

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:22 am

rocket1 wrote:Are these seat rnse units then dab equipped?
Nope

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:28 am

Remember they all have a canbus connection, so the wiring diagram is unlikely to change.
It's whether they are configured to send the Bose amp control via the canbus that can change, which is a software change presumably in the RNS-E.
Though I guess it's JUST possible that it still triggers the Bose wire as well.....

murph7355
3rd Gear

Re: SEAT RNSE Sat Nav in B7 RS4...

Post by murph7355 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:15 pm

Jon_J wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:57 am
7 digit postcode is not available on them. Some discs have it, if I recall 2015 had it but otherwise no. It’s not related to the unit, it’s related to the disk. I have 2018 disc in mine at the moment.

The MMI is the best feature for me, also I have a high res reverse camera.

For me, I’m yet to see an aftermarket unit that looks like it belongs. The MK2 RNSE of course looks like it belongs and with the addition of the MMI means you can connect your phone to it and browse your music from the RNSE. Sound quality of the RNSE & MMI compared with blue tooth or headphone jack is night and day.
Thanks.

7 digit postcodes would be the biggest draw for me I think...I have a couple of SD cards in my original unit and they give me enough music most of the time. Aux-in works well enough for if I get truly stuck.

I tend to use the DIS for satnav info most of the time too.

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:43 am

murph7355 wrote:
Jon_J wrote:
7 digit postcode is not available on them. Some discs have it, if I recall 2015 had it but otherwise no. It’s not related to the unit, it’s related to the disk. I have 2018 disc in mine at the moment.

For me, I’m yet to see an aftermarket unit that looks like it belongs. The MK2 RNSE of course looks like it belongs and with the addition of the MMI means you can connect your phone to it and browse your music from the RNSE. Sound quality of the RNSE & MMI compared with blue tooth or headphone jack is night and day.
Thanks.

7 digit postcodes would be the biggest draw for me I think...I have a couple of SD cards in my original unit and they give me enough music most of the time. Aux-in works well enough for if I get truly stuck.

The 7 digit post code is part of the disk. The screen quality is much better on the RNSE2 and still uses the DIS.

I use DAB through my phone connected via the AMI. Can also navigate music from the RNSE , artists, playlist etc.

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:48 am

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:18 am

Jon_J wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:43 am
murph7355 wrote:
Jon_J wrote:

Thanks.

The 7 digit post code is part of the disk. The screen quality is much better on the RNSE2 and still uses the DIS.

I use DAB through my phone connected via the AMI. Can also navigate music from the RNSE , artists, playlist etc.

Is there a specific AMI that you need, do you have a link ? I take it that it only works on the newer rnse

Jon_J
5th Gear

SEAT Exeo RNSE Sat Nav in B7 RS4...

Post by Jon_J » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:50 pm

Rick_RS4 wrote:
Jon_J wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:43 am
murph7355 wrote: Thanks.

Is there a specific AMI that you need, do you have a link ? I take it that it only works on the newer rnse
Will only work with RNSE MK2.

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

fairzy
2nd Gear

Post by fairzy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:01 pm

HPsauce wrote:Remember they all have a canbus connection, so the wiring diagram is unlikely to change.
It's whether they are configured to send the Bose amp control via the canbus that can change, which is a software change presumably in the RNS-E.
Though I guess it's JUST possible that it still triggers the Bose wire as well.....

I'm hoping you're wrong Image

Had a flat battery again this morning after not driving it over the weekend. After testing with a multimeter with and without the BOSE amp connected last week there was no additional draw so I hope it's the battery on the way out rather than you being right Image

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:58 pm

Good luck sorting it out. Presumably the next stage is, after charging the battery again, leaving the Bose amp disconnected....

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”