4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
fairzy
2nd Gear

Re: SEAT RNSE Sat Nav in B7 RS4...

Post by fairzy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:42 am

murph7355 wrote:
fairzy wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:44 pm
Quick update - everything is now working as it should. I connected VCDS and it was already coded ok (9 as above for BOSE) but just needed an MMI reboot (hold radio and setup until it restarts). I only changed the startup screen in VCDS. If it helps anyone you stay in the radio section (57) and click on adaptations rather than coding, change the channel to 18 and then the setting from 6 (if from a SEAT) to 0. It now shows the Audi MMI startup screen.

After all of that I’d definitely recommend swapping to a SEAT Exeo navigation unit. It cost me less than £200 and was plug and play - in fact after resetting the unit I only needed VCDS to change the startup screen.
Was that £200 for the whole RNSE unit?

What other features does it give?

Presumably 7 digit postcodes? Can it take bigger memory cards? Anything else interesting?
Most questions answered already but you definitely notice how much quicker it is (nav, not the car unfortunately) and how much better the screen is.

Yes £200 all in - there’s a few on eBay. Just search SEAT Exeo sat nav / stereo. Seems nobody selling them know that they’re a big upgrade for us Image

You can also sell your Mk1 RNSE for £150+

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fairzy
2nd Gear

Post by fairzy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:57 pm

fairzy wrote:
murph7355 wrote:
fairzy wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:44 pm
Quick update - everything is now working as it should. I connected VCDS and it was already coded ok (9 as above for BOSE) but just needed an MMI reboot (hold radio and setup until it restarts). I only changed the startup screen in VCDS. If it helps anyone you stay in the radio section (57) and click on adaptations rather than coding, change the channel to 18 and then the setting from 6 (if from a SEAT) to 0. It now shows the Audi MMI startup screen.

After all of that I’d definitely recommend swapping to a SEAT Exeo navigation unit. It cost me less than £200 and was plug and play - in fact after resetting the unit I only needed VCDS to change the startup screen.
Was that £200 for the whole RNSE unit?

Presumably 7 digit postcodes? Can it take bigger memory cards? Anything else interesting?
Most questions answered already but you definitely notice how much quicker it is (nav, not the car unfortunately) and how much better the screen is.

Yes £200 all in - there’s a few on eBay. Just search SEAT Exeo sat nav / stereo. Seems nobody selling them know that they’re a big upgrade for us Image

Quick update on this - went away for the weekend and came back to a flat battery. The only thing that’s changed is the RNSE upgrade. Anyone experienced this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:04 pm

fairzy wrote:
fairzy wrote:
murph7355 wrote: Was that £200 for the whole RNSE unit?

Quick update on this - went away for the weekend and came back to a flat battery. The only thing that’s changed is the RNSE upgrade. Anyone experienced this?

Hmmm
Have you added MMI or anything else? Interior light left on?

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White
S4 B7 Phantom Black (gone but not forgotten)
A4 B7 Avant 2.7 TDI Brilliant Red
A5 Cab 3.0 TDI Phantom Black

fairzy
2nd Gear

Post by fairzy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:42 pm

Nope, straight swap - old RNSE for new. Wasn’t from an A3 either, as I’ve read you need to change some settings in VCDS for those due to a potential battery drain issue.

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Maybe the Bose amp is staying live for some reason? Not sure how you test that, let alone cure.

fairzy
2nd Gear

Post by fairzy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:58 pm

Charging the battery up now. Will see how it goes tomorrow and check again. Really don’t want to be stranded at work though. Nothing more embarrassing!

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:47 pm

fairzy wrote:Charging the battery up now. Will see how it goes tomorrow and check again. Really don’t want to be stranded at work though. Nothing more embarrassing!

The system stays live for about 5 minutes after you lock the car. You can test it by taking the key out of the ignition, turning the RNSE on and then locking the car. Check it after 5 minutes and it should be off.

Do you have a saloon or estate. Next thing I would do is disconnect the amp and see what happens. I have the wiring diagram for the amp so can tell you which pins to check for voltage.

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

fairzy
2nd Gear

Post by fairzy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:53 pm

Jon_J wrote:
fairzy wrote:Charging the battery up now. Will see how it goes tomorrow and check again. Really don’t want to be stranded at work though. Nothing more embarrassing!

The system stays live for about 5 minutes after you lock the car. You can test it by taking the key out of the ignition, turning the RNSE on and then locking the car. Check it after 5 minutes and it should be off.

Do you have a saloon or estate. Next thing I would do is disconnect the amp and see what happens. I have the wiring diagram for the amp so can tell you which pins to check for voltage.

Avant - that would be handy. Will check it auto turns off.

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:55 pm

fairzy wrote:
Jon_J wrote:

Avant - that would be handy. Will check it auto turns off.

Ok, next step, amp is in the boot behind the right hand side panel. Unplug it. See if that saves your battery.

If you are convinced it is the amp or Audio system in some way after a couple of days testing. Let’s have a look at next steps.

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

fairzy
2nd Gear

Post by fairzy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:21 am

Jon_J wrote:

Just tried this and RNSE was still on after nearly 10 mins. I’ll try what’s in your next post - thanks for your help. I’ll invest in a jump start battery pack too - been meaning to get one for ages and now seems like a suitable time Image

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:35 am

fairzy wrote:
Jon_J wrote:

Just tried this and RNSE was still on after nearly 10 mins. I’ll try what’s in your next post - thanks for your help. I’ll invest in a jump start battery pack too - been meaning to get one for ages and now seems like a suitable time Image

No need to unplug the amp. The RNSE should go off. It controls the amp.

Did you switch some pins around or just plug and play? What did you do in VCDS?

RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:05 am

Jon_J wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:35 am
This is what my previous brief post was alluding to, maybe that (control) isn't happening for some reason even if the RNS-E appears "off"?

fairzy
2nd Gear

Post by fairzy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:08 am

Jon_J wrote:
fairzy wrote:
Jon_J wrote: The system stays live for about 5 minutes after you lock the car. You can test it by taking the key out of the ignition, turning the RNSE on and then locking the car. Check it after 5 minutes and it should be off.

Did you switch some pins around or just plug and play? What did you do in VCDS?

I didn’t swap any pins in the connectors as I thought you only needed to do this if the unit was from an A3 etc. Maybe I should have?

The only thing I ended up doing in VCDS was changing the splash screen and removing the coding for the multi function steering wheel as I haven’t got one.

fairzy
2nd Gear

Post by fairzy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:08 am

HPsauce wrote:
Jon_J wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:35 am
This is what my previous brief post was alluding to, maybe that (control) isn't happening for some reason even if the RNS-E appears "off"?
I’ll try it again for longer to see if it does work but will do it at home (when I can charge the battery) Image

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:05 am

How recent is your "new" RNS from the Seat?
I found some information online that suggests that from about 2009 VAG changed the Bose control from a separate wire to a CANBUS signal, so there are updated head units and updated Bose amps that work this way. Saves on wiring/weight etc.
As from 2009 (I think) the Bose amp became reference Bose 6000 CANTT, part number 8J0 035 223 D and it turns on with a CAN bus signal.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”