Moved from //M*

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Gaijiniji
Neutral

Moved from //M*

Post by Gaijiniji » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:39 pm

Greetings Audi enthusiasts and fellow petrol heads,

My current daily driver is a BMW Z4M (please don't spit on me) and I'm looking for something more sensible. Queue an RS4 B7 - Four doors, 4WD and isofix solves for all eventualities... a v8 scratches an itch that's been developing for quite some time.

The Z has arguably the most iconic engine BMW ever made, shared with the E46 M3. Having arguably the most iconic engine from Audi makes the b7 RS4 another massive box to tick off on the list before we all end up driving hair dryers. I must admit I didn't want to like it... but a couple of test drives and I do. While the Z is a scalpel, definitely the sharper and more rewarding car, the RS4 feels more like a cruise missile.

Has anyone here got any experience of such a move? What have you experienced in terms of running costs? From all the research it looks like they should be relatively similar., but I keep seeing reports of "MASSIVE" running costs on the Audi. Massive compared to what? Walking? A Lockheed Blackbird?

For comparison
Z4M Road tax £555
Servicing £500 - £650 every 10k miles or 2 years
fuel - 30mpg on a good day. 7mpg on a really good day. Long term average 22mpg.
Tyres - £800
Brakes £1k (these came from the CSL)

over 4 years and 30'000 miles of ownership probably around £500 in repair bills (rear coil springs needed replaced). I got a good one so thats it...

By now i am aware of issues to look out for on the Rs4 such as DRC failure, brake wear (and costs), coking issues, tyres etc... but roughly what are the instances of these? Are these real issues or is it akin to having a headache, googling it and diagnosing cancer?

From what i understand DRC will fail, maybe, possibly...
Brakes last anything from 15k miles of hard driving to 60k miles of easy use. £1k per axle.
Coking runs contrary to brakes (hard driving is good, easy use is not).
Tyres 12k miles to 14k miles
Servicing £400-600?
Road tax similar to Z

While i realise this is the kind of question that often illicits the response "if you have to ask..." I did some analysis on the long term ownership of a Z4m and found total costs of ownership (including depreciation) to be significantly less than a lot of newer cars of similar value and significantly more in terms of smiles per miles - who would have guessed?

Any input much appreciated!
Last edited by Gaijiniji on Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FrazerD
4th Gear

Re: Potential move from //M

Post by FrazerD » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:16 pm

Hi there,

I moved from an E46 M3 to a B7 RS4. Running costs are a fair price but I wouldn’t describe them as massive. A bit more than what you have listed but depends how you drive, brakes, tyres and fuel. I’m averaging 20mpg calculated but I don’t daily mine. Things will be expensive if you don’t pick a good one, like anything though.

Cheers :thumbs:

Mav8
3rd Gear

Post by Mav8 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:12 pm

@ FrazerD- nailed it there mate,the key is buying a good 1 to begin with,i don't daily mine so fuel,cost isn't an issue,(apart from a trip to Scotland in May :D never missed a beat )as for other running costs apart from service items,& you could include these as well the only thing i've done is replace some DRC pipework and a recharge.
Good luck in your hunt there are good 1's out there :thumb:
Mav8
RS3- Sepang
Gone
F80-M3
B7-RS4
B5-RS4

Dan D.
Neutral

Post by Dan D. » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi and welcome, pretty new myself, sold my Z4M Coupe daily driver to make way for a B7 RS4 saloon for the same reasons as yourself! Good luck in your search, I'm still looking.
B7 RS4 Saloon Mugello Blue, KW V3, Milltek, H&R

Chinny
2nd Gear

Potential move from //M

Post by Chinny » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:43 pm

Hi mate and welcome to the forum

Thou I haven’t Owned a Z4. I can add a little to the running cost. Front brakes and pads can be got a lot cheaper then 1k and these are like for like replacement, tires I just changed mine after nearly 3 years and over 15k miles and recently got 4 for less then £400.

Service from Audi was about £350 for interim one and just over £500 for main one which they told me is good for 2 years.

There’ll be lots of guys on here with lots of info about about this model and I know 1st had how good their knowledge is

Good luck with the hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James1984
3rd Gear

Post by James1984 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:56 pm

God knows what Audi charge or replace on a service but my local performance garage charges me £175 (at last service) for Audi oil filter and sump plug/washer and the proper Castrol 5/30 oil, spark plugs can be got for around £70, Audi never seem to change the fuel filter and I have just changed mine and it was stamped 2006! I pretty much let the garage do enough for my stamp in the book and do the rest myself.
I haven’t had to do tyres yet but I’ve done 11k on mine and they are about half worn or less.
2007 B7 RS4 Saloon, Phantom Black, Forge Oil Cooler Kit, custom home made air feed, H&R Coilovers, H&R anti roll bars, 10mm H&R Spacers, Milltek decat downpipes, Milltek Non Res Valved Exhaust, Reyland Motorsports front & rear discs with Hel braided Hoses, full underbody overhauled inc powdercoated subframes and arms, 034 solid subframe bushes and every joint, arm or bush replaced.

Lady Penelope
2nd Gear

Post by Lady Penelope » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:18 am

Lots of good simple advice in the above posts already..

Key is to buy a good one and IMHO that means with all the bits already sorted that might go (DRC, Clutch, Oil cooler pipes).

Maybe have a look at the MRC Stage 2 Saloon that is top of the For Sale listed on here? Whilst maybe it isn't for you IMHO it is a good example of being 'sorted' with all the big issues. I know not the seller but that looks a 'good one' to me.

My experience is fair running costs but regular preventative work and then drive it, don't leave it sat around.

Good luck!
RS4 B7 2007 Cabriolet Misano Red
Revolution carbon air intake, KW adjustable springs, Da Vinci 20" summer rims, OEM 19" winter chrome and black rims, Audi Ceramic front brakes, Milltek cat back non resonated valved exhaust, US spec black front grill, MRC stage 2, Piano black interior + cream leather buckets. EM Tuning dragon eyes and xenon upgrade, TTRS FBMF steering wheel, TV, Reversing camera, Nav, Red leather fitted luggage.

MB2
Top Gear

Post by MB2 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:25 am

Servicing is close to an A4 but with more oil.

Brakes have come down in price now but wise to budget 1000 per axle as you say.
DRC is a mixed bag - mine is on the V2 DRC or whatever it is (replaced under warranty) when it fails I will probably look at alternatives although it still seems fine.
Auxillary radiators and Oil cooler are the other weak-points it seems.

I just replaced by oil cooler with the Forge version cost was about 1000 again but that should be good for life now and lasted 12 years, Aux Rads were done a few years ago although many delete one.

I expect most cars you look at will have had these items replaced recently but both are well documented repairs.

Gaijiniji
Neutral

Post by Gaijiniji » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:06 pm

FrazerD wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:16 pm
I moved from an E46 M3 to a B7 RS4. I’m averaging 20mpg calculated but I don’t daily mine. Things will be expensive if you don’t pick a good one, like anything though.
Thanks Frazer. I'm currently averaging 22mpg so I'm fairly used to it.
Mav8 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:12 pm
the key is buying a good 1 to begin with
Good luck in your hunt there are good 1's out there :thumb:
Mav8
Thanks!
Dan D. wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:31 pm
Hi and welcome, pretty new myself, sold my Z4M Coupe daily driver to make way for a B7 RS4 saloon for the same reasons as yourself! Good luck in your search, I'm still looking.
High five! Did you manage to get the Z sold fairly quickly? You miss it?
Chinny wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:43 pm
tires I just changed mine after nearly 3 years and over 15k miles and recently got 4 for less then £400.
Thanks Chinny. About on par with what I would expect with my driving style but £400 is mega cheap!
James1984 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:56 pm
God knows what Audi charge or replace on a service but my local performance garage charges me £175 (at last service) for Audi oil filter and sump plug/washer and the proper Castrol 5/30 oil, spark plugs can be got for around £70, Audi never seem to change the fuel filter and I have just changed mine and it was stamped 2006! I pretty much let the garage do enough for my stamp in the book and do the rest myself.
After phoning BMW to quote me on an inspection 2 they called back and started with "Im actually embarrassed to tell you how much this is... £1200". I realise that most dealerships effectively are not interested in servicing older cars and price you out of it. Most technicians who know what they are doing with the older generations of cars tend to move on and start an indie so this is where I put my money.
Lady Penelope wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:18 am
Lots of good simple advice in the above posts already..
Maybe have a look at the MRC Stage 2 Saloon that is top of the For Sale listed on here? Whilst maybe it isn't for you IMHO it is a good example of being 'sorted' with all the big issues. I know not the seller but that looks a 'good one' to me.
drive it, don't leave it sat around.
Good luck!
Actually a more engaging reception than I expected! Thanks!
I have absolutely no intention of leaving it sitting around. Contrary to belief these are not "investment" cars (Ive just made the same case on the z forums about the M coupe). They should be driven and enjoyed. You are right - the ad looks cracking and its not massively far from me. I need to sell the Z first though. It looks like its got a similar market at the moment to the RS4 where it might sit for days or a year waiting for the right buyer. Hopefully sooner rather than later though.
MB2 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:25 am
I expect most cars you look at will have had these items replaced recently but both are well documented repairs.
Great advice and this forum has been invaluable in terms of what to look for in a good one.

Massive thanks to everyone for your input. Genuinely good to see such an active membership of the forum (coming from an e46 forum and then a z one)

As soon as I get the Z sold ill be into an RS4... and then out of it to take pictures!

Dan D.
Neutral

Post by Dan D. » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:49 pm

Took me a while to sell the Z4M as they're quite a niche car, and not many prospective buyers. I miss it every day, it was such a thrill to drive as I'm sure you know, there cant be anything like it for 15 to 20k with the performance, reliability and looks, N/A manual sports car with hydraulic steering, rarity (circa 600 coupes and convertibles each) and old school feel.
It tried to kill me regularly, especially if it had rained that day, week, or month, but I loved it, and would have kept it it I could, and I would never have sold it if I had the space.
Saying that, looking forward to more doors, a more comfortable ride, and being able to get off the drive in the snow!

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 pm

Audi used to discount the cost of servicing / labour for cars over 5 years old, they might still do that. This is so they try and retain your custom once out of warranty and the point at which many people will use independents.

demon8991
2nd Gear

Post by demon8991 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:12 am

I lived in England until 2011 but owned a 2003 Z4 3.0 fully optioned, absolutely loved that car and always lusted after the Z4M and I still want one now. In my two years of Z4 ownership it didn't skip a beat absolutely brilliant car.

Moving to Australia in 2011 I went without a performance car for a while, but last November I bought a B7 RS4, a car I have wanted since it was released in 2006. It had new tyres, brakes and DRC so I was comfortable that the three biggest expenses had been ticked off.

So far it has been reliable with the exception of a couple of sensors and engine mount that needed replacing which cost around £1000 equivalent, most of which was labour. My Audi dealership gives a generous discount on cars older than 6 years so that is really handy.

My dealership also has an OEM walnut shell blaster so I plan to get it decoked at its next service they charge around £500 equivalent which is great value in my opinion.
RS4 B7 • Phantom Black • Centre Resonator Delete • Wireless Apple CarPlay
SQ5 TDI • Ibis White • Fully Optioned • Wireless Apple CarPlay

12th
3rd Gear

Post by 12th » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:59 am

Your costs are the right ballpark, though Pilot 4Ss are more like £1k.

I've had mine for 12.5 years now and won't change it unless forced by circumstances. It won't try to kill you in the wet, but I'd leave the driver aids engaged - had a tank slapper once in the wet without, never again... But the car is so competent, particularly on PS4Ss, that I don't think this matters. MRC remap is a revelation - done in 2018 and wish I'd done it years ago. Makes very little difference to insurance costs either.

A good indy is likely a better bet than main dealer. Mine were <beep> at time of purchase, got rather better, but have become <beep> again. Less thorough than local indy, and labour rates have gone up by 50% in the last five years or so - no discount for older cars. I know that they won't all be the same, but local franchise gives a pretty good impression of being interested in your hard-earned and not a great deal else.

DRC still original, brakes last maybe 40k - but I pride myself on anticipating the road and don't brake hard unless I am feeling 'enthusiastic'. One fuel pump failed at 70k (mid 80s now) and the manifold needed deflapping when it went to MRC, but apart from that it's been consumables and very little else.
Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Saloon with MRC tweakery.

Gaijiniji
Neutral

Post by Gaijiniji » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:55 am

Dan D. wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:49 pm
It tried to kill me regularly, especially if it had rained that day, week, or month, but I loved it, and would have kept it if I could
I’ve tried on several occasions to explain the appeal of driving a car that feels like it wants to spit you into a hedge at every opportunity. Makes me sound like an absolute maniac. The thing is its limits are actually much higher than the feel. It’s like being married to a Russian (which I am). I love her to bits but have this niggling feeling in the back of my head that if I screw up she will poison me.

Where have you been looking? Are you North or South of “the wall”?
MikeFish wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:35 pm
Audi used to discount the cost of servicing / labour for cars over 5 years old, they might still do that.
But again I would guess that the best technicians tend to move on and start Indies. Fortunately I have a friend that is a former Audi Master Tech who is happy to do any work for me!
demon8991 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:12 am
I lived in England until 2011 but owned a 2003 Z4 3.0 fully optioned, absolutely loved that car and always lusted after the Z4M and I still want one now. In my two years of Z4 ownership it didn't skip a beat absolutely brilliant car.
So far it has been reliable with the exception of a couple of sensors and engine mount that needed replacing which cost around £1000 equivalent, most of which was labour. My Audi dealership gives a generous discount on cars older than 6 years so that is really handy.
I’ve driven a 3.0 and the differences are quite interesting. The M has hydraulic steering so feels more engaged, everything else just feels a little bit tighter and a step up. The M54 engine is a cracker though.

30000 miles and 4 years into ownership and it’s been mega reliable. A coil pack failed (easy fix) and a rear coil spring (common issue) and that’s about it. Only ever needed oil at services and regularly returned 30mpg on a long lazy run. I’ve taken entire IKEA wardrobes to the dump in it (after sawing it up into tiny little pieces) and I’ve had my bike on a rack hanging off the back to drive up to Strathpuffer.

I’m ok with holding a contingency of £1k. I’m not in the habit of throwing money away by any means but I’m quite rational about these things.
12th wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:59 am
Your costs are the right ballpark, though Pilot 4Ss are more like £1k.
I’ve been buying tyres online at a sometimes significant discount. Vredestein Sessantas for under £500 and I get a mobile fitter to put them on for an additional £50. Im not one to skimp but if I can find a quality product cheaper I will!

The general consensus is that parts are expensive but no more so than you would expect for a once £50k+ performance car and comparable to others with similar performance. Although I have seen some reports of people spending £10k on the car after purchase these seem to be relatively less common (and likely includes modifications).

Thank you again everyone for your input

Dan D.
Neutral

Post by Dan D. » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:25 pm

I think you either get it or you dont with cars like the z4m, sitting right over the back wheels means you feel the rear step out an inch and it feels like a foot, but it was a great drive.
I'm in the south east, Leighton Buzzard in central Bedfordshire.

Are you going for a saloon, cab or avant?

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”