Any ideas what this was ???

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
WRS4
2nd Gear

Any ideas what this was ???

Post by WRS4 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:31 pm

I went away for a week so wasn't really using the car as such only the trip away and today the trip back. On the way down the motorway and thankfully close to home I saw smoke start coming out of the air vents on the dash FFS.

First panic set in and thought I was on fire, then realised I'm in road works on the M1 so couldn't just pull over, then realised I do have a fire extinguisher but yep you guessed it I haven't fitted it yet and its at home in the garage.

Then I started to think about it, I cant smell burning, it wasn't usual smoke more like mist like you see dry ice on F1, then noticed condensation on my vents and when I wiped my finger over it it was pretty cold so a wild guess here is it something to do with my air con / heating unit? if not what should I look for ? if it is then again what is it and what should I look for ?

I turned off the heated / fan and the smoke stopped and I went directly home, once I got home I lifted the bonnet and see no signs of anything that looks wrong

cheers
Sprint Blue RS4 - 20" X 10J 3DSM Wheels - Carbon Front Splitter - Carbon Rear Diffuser - H & R Anti Roll Bars - Bilstein Adjustable Shocks - Milltek Exhaust System - De Catted - Valve Removed - MRC Stage 2 Re-Map - 480 bhp

WRS4
2nd Gear

Re: Any ideas what this was ???

Post by WRS4 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:16 pm

just to update, had an appointment to go to and air con and heater all seem to be working ok and no smoke ? WTF
Sprint Blue RS4 - 20" X 10J 3DSM Wheels - Carbon Front Splitter - Carbon Rear Diffuser - H & R Anti Roll Bars - Bilstein Adjustable Shocks - Milltek Exhaust System - De Catted - Valve Removed - MRC Stage 2 Re-Map - 480 bhp

Lady Penelope
2nd Gear

Post by Lady Penelope » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:00 pm

Hmmm, interesting. I take it you googled? Seen this?

https://products.geappliances.com/appli ... ntId=16744

Maybe related to your week of not using it, the weather conditions and maybe the humidity of exactly where you parked it and when you then fired her up...

P
RS4 B7 2007 Cabriolet Misano Red
Revolution carbon air intake, KW adjustable springs, Da Vinci 20" summer rims, OEM 19" winter chrome and black rims, Audi Ceramic front brakes, Milltek cat back non resonated valved exhaust, US spec black front grill, MRC stage 2, Piano black interior + cream leather buckets. EM Tuning dragon eyes and xenon upgrade, TTRS FBMF steering wheel, TV, Reversing camera, Nav, Red leather fitted luggage.

ArthurPE
Cruising

Post by ArthurPE » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:25 pm

Very humid air outside
As it passed over the evaporator and cooled it condensed the moisture
It was 'fog'
It's happened to me

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NL1GQQI3hcM
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe...Albert Einstein

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”