Clonking rear

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
murph7355
3rd Gear

Clonking rear

Post by murph7355 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:21 pm

Have been getting a clonking from the rear of the car (left) increasingly for a number of months. Took all the clobber out of the boot thinking it was that. No difference. Noticed one side of the rear seats wasn't latched properly (they are rarely used really) so sorted that. No difference. Then thought it must be a spring or damper going, but when I looked there were no signs of oil leaking or a broken spring etc.

Carried on getting worse so started to think something else on the DRC.

Car's booked in to be looked at in conjunction with its annual service next week, and lo and behold today it is no longer making the noise.

So went to check in the boot to see if I could see anything obvious (who knows what and how my mind works!) and as I opened it two small rectangular bits of rubber fell from the tailgate. Looking round the rear they'd fallen out of the left hand "bump stop" for the tailgate.

Could that be the cause of my odd clonking? I can't work out why it would as the bits of rubber were in the bump stop. But I'm now wondering if going over bumps specifically on the left of the car (when I heard the noise most) might have upset the rubber bits and allowed the tailgate to bump a little, but enough to make the odd noise?

(Will know for sure next week...but thought I'd post to see if anyone's had similar so I can start spending the money I might save if so :))

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Re: Clonking rear

Post by JamesBaby » Wed May 29, 2019 10:01 pm

Sounds too coincidental to me. DRC or spring could have been issue but it would t have fixed itself.

My bet is the tailgate or related issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murph7355
3rd Gear

Post by murph7355 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:44 pm

Hadn't fixed itself, despite going silent.

Hard lines broken.

Will be getting them replaced in a few weeks' time. Wallet vaselined.

murph7355
3rd Gear

Post by murph7355 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:06 pm

Car now all sorted, and driving good as new...which is just as well as my bank account feels like I have just bought another! I think my first 5 cars cost less in total :)

The suspension issue (leaking hard lines) must have been getting gradually worse over an extended period (6mths or so) as it wasn't like the handling fell off a cliff. Just got worse gradually and I was acclimatising/driving around it. At least until the knocking started.

Big thanks to MRC for sorting the car out. I'm sure if I'd taken it to a main dealer the hurt would have been considerably more.

This is the third biggest service bill I've ever had on a car (the other two were on Ferraris, one after some driving abuse on the continent for 3mths and the other a classic). Make no mistake these are expensive cars to maintain properly!

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:19 pm

Which hard lines and what did it cost to replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

murph7355
3rd Gear

Post by murph7355 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:09 pm

JamesBaby wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:19 pm
Which hard lines and what did it cost to replace?
4 of them (so all of them?).

Didn't just have these lines done to be fair. New hose to front brakes, new bleed nipples, new rear discs and pads, control arms and a couple of other bushes replaced, full wheel alignment. A few other bits and pieces plus waxoyling the exposed stuff while everything was apart.

I can't bring myself to write the cost down just yet :)

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”