MRC DYNO

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
MrRSB7
1st Gear

MRC DYNO

Post by MrRSB7 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:30 pm

I’ve had my RS4 B7 for 8 months now, couldn’t ask for a more fun/reliable car...

After much deliberation, I booked it into MRC Tuning in Banbury for a dyno run only. Purely to have an idea on what figures it puts out, I’ve have a few quick cars on the past, but this one pulls and pulls!!

I’ve seen hundreds of dyno runs on YouTube and was very excited about the idea of being able see my own car on one!!

Upon my arrival after a 100 mile drive , I was shocked to be told that I had to sit in the waiting room, and under no circumstances was I allowed to view or film the car on the dyno... completely gutted!!

Never the less I sat and waited...... I then heard my car roaring on the dyno, so I got up out my seat walked out side to see if I could sneak a peak at the action, I got no more that 3 meters away from the roller shutters outside , saw my car Revving away, then they shut the rollers to about a foot from the floor, and continued with the action , then I couldn’t see at all!!

I couldn’t believe it!! The cheek! Ha ha

So back inside I went, after another 10 minutes or so, I was told my car was very poorly, putting out only 280Ps, and they wanted £1700 to rectify the following week.

Should I be suspicious?
2006 2-tone merlin purple , decat delete, res delete, x-pipe and rear back box delete......rs5 alloys.. silver brake callipers

ArthurPE
Cruising

Re: MRC DYNO

Post by ArthurPE » Fri May 17, 2019 11:47 pm

Try this (at your own risk)
Long stretch of safe dry level road
In 3rd gear start at 2000 rpm gradually increasing throttle to 100% a bit before 3000
Run up to 8000
Use on board timer to time 3000-8000
Do 2-3 runs
Be careful you will be close to 100 mph
Range 35-95 mph
Sportauto in a test did iirc 8.2 sec using the gears for the same range
If you are ~8.5 imho your car is fine
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe...Albert Einstein

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Sat May 18, 2019 12:09 am

MrRSB7 wrote:I’ve had my RS4 B7 for 8 months now, couldn’t ask for a more fun/reliable car...

After much deliberation, I booked it into MRC Tuning in Banbury for a dyno run only. Purely to have an idea on what figures it puts out, I’ve have a few quick cars on the past, but this one pulls and pulls!!

I’ve seen hundreds of dyno runs on YouTube and was very excited about the idea of being able see my own car on one!!

Upon my arrival after a 100 mile drive , I was shocked to be told that I had to sit in the waiting room, and under no circumstances was I allowed to view or film the car on the dyno... completely gutted!!

Never the less I sat and waited...... I then heard my car roaring on the dyno, so I got up out my seat walked out side to see if I could sneak a peak at the action, I got no more that 3 meters away from the roller shutters outside , saw my car Revving away, then they shut the rollers to about a foot from the floor, and continued with the action , then I couldn’t see at all!!

I couldn’t believe it!! The cheek! Ha ha

So back inside I went, after another 10 minutes or so, I was told my car was very poorly, putting out only 280Ps, and they wanted £1700 to rectify the following week.

Should I be suspicious?
MRC have a very good rep - it’d be unlikely they’re trying to pull a fast one (pardon the pun).

What work did they recommend? Carbon clean, manifold deflap and perhaps cure a vacuum leak? 280ps is low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Fatneck73
4th Gear

Post by Fatneck73 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:23 am

As above.

Tbh, I only went to MRC once and was so unimpressed at their customer service that I’ve never been back ... BUT they have an excellent rep so I doubt there’s anything to be suspicious about.

Trust them I would say.

GaryA
2nd Gear

Post by GaryA » Sat May 18, 2019 6:21 am

280ps is very low if this is engine power.
When i took mine there it already had milltek downpipes and i fitted cold air feed but started with 371ps 447nm. After carbon clean, milltek cat back, stage 2 map and full service pushed out 441.7ps 484nm
Its a completely different animal now, even gear changes and throttle response is much improved in sport.
MRC are very thorough and will pick up everything. If you haven't already, ask for a written quote and analyse what they intend to do.
Have they just quoted for engine rectification or is there also bushes, brakes etc.
I was very impressed and if i was closer would definitely be there for every service.
Do bear in mind that unlike many places they actually know what they're doing ;-)

12th
3rd Gear

Post by 12th » Sat May 18, 2019 8:00 am

I suspect it's H&S regs that keep you out of the testing area. Had mine done at MRC and wish I'd had it done years earlier. Mine had a DMS remap but hadn't been cleaned and deflapped and it was showing 406PS/454NM. After MRC remap etc, 434/485. The biggest difference is that the car has full throttle in the first three gears, which it doesn't as standard. This is why there is a V-Tec like step at 5,500 or so in the standard car, and post remap it just pulls harder and in totally linear fashion all through the rev range. It's a noticeably quicker car as a result. Only drawback is that non-sport mode is a little sluggish for my liking, but then I rarely bother with it.

They weren't the most charming, but I'd trust MRC.

As observed, 280 is very low.
Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Saloon with MRC tweakery.

PaulT
1st Gear

Post by PaulT » Thu May 23, 2019 9:58 pm

Mine was doing 275 and not revving over 6k due to swirl flaps in manifold being stuck. MRC did deflap, carbon clean and remap returning car to std power and increasing torque to 460Nm. Very happy with the result, pulls much better in midrange and Sport button throttle map has extra kick. Only slight downside is slight lumpiness when cold without swirl flaps - just not quite as smooth at low revs when cold, but absolutely nothing to worry about. Cost was £1700 so very likely the same work they are quoting you.
Daytona RS4

RSgeoff
Neutral

Post by RSgeoff » Thu May 23, 2019 11:11 pm

Had dozens of cars on about 8 different rolling roads over the years and always been able to be up close viewing them. This has now put me off going.

RSgeoff
Neutral

Post by RSgeoff » Thu May 23, 2019 11:15 pm

12th wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:00 am
The biggest difference is that the car has full throttle in the first three gears, which it doesn't as standard. This is why there is a V-Tec like step at 5,500 or so in the standard car,
So (in a std car) I assume you only get full throttle at 5000 rpm in the first 3 gears then?

demon8991
2nd Gear

Post by demon8991 » Fri May 24, 2019 12:12 am

I don't want to derail the thread, but since moving to Australia from England I don't have the option to use a reputable company like MRC.

Long shot, but would anyone happen to know of any companies like MRC in South East Queensland that have similar levels of service and expertise?
RS4 B7 • Phantom Black • Centre Resonator Delete • Wireless Apple CarPlay
SQ5 TDI • Ibis White • Fully Optioned • Wireless Apple CarPlay

12th
3rd Gear

Post by 12th » Fri May 24, 2019 8:36 am

RSgeoff wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:15 pm
12th wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:00 am
The biggest difference is that the car has full throttle in the first three gears, which it doesn't as standard. This is why there is a V-Tec like step at 5,500 or so in the standard car,
So (in a std car) I assume you only get full throttle at 5000 rpm in the first 3 gears then?
That's my understanding - I know that the original Autocar review suggested that it wasn't quite as quick over the first few MPH as some , speculating that this was about ensuring a long life to the hardware. Dial up 4k now and get going and it's a different beast.

I didn't see mine being done, but the car's changed performance is all the proof I need that whilst MRC may lack a little charm, they know what they are doing. I think it would be a mistake not to use them.
Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Saloon with MRC tweakery.

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sun May 26, 2019 9:58 am

If you ask them they'll film and or take photo's of your car as their photo /filming equipment is set up in the Dyno booth.
Also check MRC's Facebook page as they post customer car pics on there.

RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

RS4LAD
3rd Gear

Post by RS4LAD » Sun May 26, 2019 12:57 pm

Don’t take it personally it’s to protect themselves. If that’s what you wanted you should have been clear from the start and they’d have been happy to take pics and record it for you.

The shutter always comes down as soon as you get rolling on the dyno unless you manually stop it.

It’s nothing suspicious at all, Iv seen worse than 280! Doug is a good guy ask for him and ask him to explain it to you to understand it better. Let me guess was it Sarah from the office who told you to take a seat?

murph22
1st Gear

Post by murph22 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:42 am

The shutter is closed to try and reduce the noise, as people have said they will take pics/vids if you ask. Although I do agree,
it would be nice if there was a viewing window or monitor where you could watch.

mister_g
1st Gear

Post by mister_g » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:36 pm

In my experience most garages, MRC included, are run by mechanics & engineers

They're not hotels, airlines or massage parlours - so you can't expect similar levels of customer service :bigblink:
With my black B7
I'm in B7th heaven
And with DRC
My ride is heavenly
:blackrs4:

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”