Drain channels from rear under-bonnet area?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Tom_
Neutral

Drain channels from rear under-bonnet area?

Post by Tom_ » Sat May 04, 2019 4:43 pm

While jump-starting my RS4 this morning, I noticed that quite a lot of water was pooling around and underneath the jump-start connections to the rear of the under-bonnet area. It was quite a lot - maybe 4cm deep.

After a drive, the water had mostly gone, and I had a feel around for obviously-blocked drain holes. While feeling, I gently pressed on a rubber piece, which then became dislodged and fell downwards out of the hole it had been blocking. The remaining water all flowed out of this new hole, but I wasn't able to retrieve the rubber piece. (I have no idea where it is now.)

(I've done my best to picture the area [1.jpg] and newly-created hole [2.jpg] - see the attached photos.)

A couple of questions I hope you can help me with, please:

1. Where can I find the actual drain channels for this area, to properly unblock them?
2. Does anyone know what I've dislodged, where it's gone, and whether this is likely to cause further problems? I mean, I assume this hole doesn't drain to behind the dashboard, but you never know!
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg

Jon_J
5th Gear

Re: Drain channels from rear under-bonnet area?

Post by Jon_J » Sat May 04, 2019 10:41 pm

It’s a rubber grommet that goes in the hole to make the drain.

They get clogged up with <beep>, you poke the <beep> through and they start draining again. I expect you pushed the grommet through. Not sure you’ll be able to get it. Try sticking some water via a hose down it, it might flush out the bottom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White
S4 B7 Phantom Black (gone but not forgotten)
A4 B7 Avant 2.7 TDI Brilliant Red
A5 Cab 3.0 TDI Phantom Black

Tom_
Neutral

Post by Tom_ » Sun May 05, 2019 8:45 am

Great - thanks.

Do you know if there are other grommets/holes/drains in that area, or just that one?

And any idea where would be best (online?) to purchase a replacement?

dhali
4th Gear

Post by dhali » Sun May 05, 2019 8:51 am

Theres another one under the master cylinder . Take it out and cut of the nipple and put it back. That was the ' fix' from Audi back in the day .

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”