Suspension leaking

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Chinny
2nd Gear

Suspension leaking

Post by Chinny » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi All

My KW suspension at the front has got a minor leak on both sides.

Has anyone got any know how on where I could get this repaired and how much it has cost or would I need to replace with new parts?

Part numbers for the kit was 35210051. It was fitted back in June 2013 at AMD tuning by a pervious owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrazerD
4th Gear

Re: Suspension leaking

Post by FrazerD » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:45 pm

I have just replaced one of my rear shocks. Mine were also fitted by AMD by the previous owner. I contacted Kw first of all who told me to contact who fitted them. Contacted AMD who contacted Kw and told them the warranty is with the product and not the owner.

Unfortunately they are now 2 hours from me and they wanted me to go down so they could have a look and take it from there. So minimum it would be 4 2 hour trips so I decided to just buy a new shock from Kw direct. The prices have gone up slightly now but nothing major.

I have since contacted Kw and explained the situation and asked if I could send them my old shock to see if I can get reimbursed for the shock I bought. They said I could but still waiting to see what I’ll get wether it will be worth the effort.

Edit: I have just re read and they were fitted in 2013. I would contact Kw direct and explain the situation. The rear shocks can’t be repaired but I’m not sure about the front shocks.

I’m speaking to Alan Hook from Kw and has been really helpful and even stood but a cheaper quoted price before the prices went up. Alan@kwautomotive.co.uk

Cheers :thumbs:

Chinny
2nd Gear

Post by Chinny » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:49 pm

Thanks Frazer.

I’ll send him an email. Would it still be covered thou as it’s been a few years since they were fitted?

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:02 pm

Chinny wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:49 pm
Thanks Frazer.

I’ll send him an email. Would it still be covered thou as it’s been a few years since they were fitted?

I doubt you’ll get anywhere through warranty but he will be able to tell you if they can be sorted or will need replaced. As I said, the rears are sealed units so can’t be repaired, not sure about the fronts.

Cheers :thumbs:

dhali
4th Gear

Post by dhali » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:03 pm

Chinny wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:49 pm
Thanks Frazer.

I had the same problem with one of my front KW V3s . Had covered less then 2k miles iirc over a 3/4 yr period . Wasnt covered under warranty . No goodwill gesture , just a bill for over £400 . They will only repair them in pairs I was told .

Chinny
2nd Gear

Post by Chinny » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:06 pm

Thanks for the info guys Email sent let’s see what happens now.

Chinny
2nd Gear

Post by Chinny » Mon May 20, 2019 7:29 pm

So I’ve had a response from Alan and he’s saying

“Thank you for the data your units were produced in 2013.

I have spoken to my colleague in the workshop. He has advised the first step if not done so already is to clean and dry the cannisters and monitor and advise if any oil returns. If so we can issue you with a returns number to send the units in and as long as we find no damage to the units a service can be carried out”

“The service includes the replacement of all of the parts inside the cannister. So you have all of the information the service cost for units with cannisters is £175.00 + VAT per unit. We will need the units for approx. 10 working days but aim to service and return as quickly as possible. Any other parts outside of the service are chargeable. We inspect and advise all customer in advance of a service if we can see any other defects and report back”

Couple of questions from me does that price seem ok?

And how easy/hard is it to remove the front suspension??

dhali
4th Gear

Post by dhali » Mon May 20, 2019 7:59 pm

Price is what I paid a few years ago . Removing suspension is easy enough if the pinch bolt isn't seized. Plenty of guides available online . Buy some Acf50 and wipe down the units once/ twice a year keeps them looking new . I've wrapped aluminium tape round the threads aswell to keep the grit out of them .

Chinny
2nd Gear

Post by Chinny » Thu May 23, 2019 4:24 pm

Hi All. Thanks for all the advice and info. I’m going to be taking the shocks off myself. Does anyone have a guide on what bolts will need to be torquing up and the settings??

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:38 pm

Just a small tip , if the upper control arm pinch bolt is too corroded to come undone easy I loosen the inner control arm bolts . they are 16 mm . a bit tricky to get in there but definately a safer option compared to replacing the ally upright .,
We are Performance partners to KW and if any one in the midlands needs this type of help we can
Also its a safety thing servicing both shocks on one axle together .If one had fresh oil and one had old oil the car could be unstable in harsh braking and potentially diving to one side .

Chinny
2nd Gear

Post by Chinny » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:43 pm

Shockerboy wrote:Just a small tip , if the upper control arm pinch bolt is too corroded to come undone easy I loosen the inner control arm bolts . they are 16 mm . a bit tricky to get in there but definately a safer option compared to replacing the ally upright .,
We are Performance partners to KW and if any one in the midlands needs this type of help we can
Also its a safety thing servicing both shocks on one axle together .If one had fresh oil and one had old oil the car could be unstable in harsh braking and potentially diving to one side .
Thanks for the tip. ImagePlan is to get them both done as they both are leaking

Chinny
2nd Gear

Post by Chinny » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:24 pm

Shockerboy wrote:Just a small tip , if the upper control arm pinch bolt is too corroded to come undone easy I loosen the inner control arm bolts . they are 16 mm . a bit tricky to get in there but definately a safer option compared to replacing the ally upright .,

Mate your tip helped today , both pinch bots would not budge. So used your tip. It was a little difficult but we got them off

Passenger side shock is the one that has the crack in the plastic

Going to drop wheels off to get refurbished and new rubber and will hand deliver the shocks to KW

Chinny
2nd Gear

Post by Chinny » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:56 am

So got the alloys back today

Chinny
2nd Gear

Suspension leaking

Post by Chinny » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:25 am

Centre caps looking a bit naf

So getting a new set

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:20 pm

Glad you came right . it is a little more of a struggle but saves having to drill out the seized bolt and m,ore importantly risk breaking the upright ??

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”