Hesitation when engine cold - any ideas?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
MikeFish
Cruising

Re: Hesitation when engine cold - any ideas?

Post by MikeFish » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:14 pm

FaisalJ wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:26 am
This is common behaviour for a deflapped car - mine does it too (and I too thought something was wrong and asked MRC to check).

As to why it did this before - are you sure your flaps were operational? They can get stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine started doing it after it had the stage 2 map and removal of the SAI but before it was deflapped. Possibly defective flaps but doesn't that normally throw an error?

alex760
1st Gear

Post by alex760 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:18 pm

Jaheenormous wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:03 pm
JamesBaby wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:10 am
It affects fuelling based on engine temperature.

That's interesting i didn't know that.. Seems to read ok on the dial but it would be good to confirm with a digital read-out.. Problem is, with no error codes and without putting a thermocouple on the coolant circuit you've got no way to tell if the sensor is off..
I'm pretty sure you can see it in measuring blocks in VCDS

markcookie7
Neutral

Post by markcookie7 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:50 pm

fairzy wrote:I’ve had my RS4 for about 6 months so far and aside from some large bills (Michelin Pilot 4s all round, deflapping / stage 2 at MRC etc) I love it.

I’ve noticed that until the engine has warmed a bit (water gauge has started moving) the engine can stutter / doesn’t accelerate cleanly under partial load but if you put your foot down it’s fine. I mentioned it to MRC who couldn’t find anything.

I’ve since run VCDS and it had a ‘left engine mount solenoid valve N144 P1573 - 004 - open circuit intermittent’ fault but don’t know if its linked.

Can anyone help?

I had same problem changed maf sensor ,sorted.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

demon8991
2nd Gear

Post by demon8991 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:43 am

markcookie7 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:50 pm
fairzy wrote:I’ve had my RS4 for about 6 months so far and aside from some large bills (Michelin Pilot 4s all round, deflapping / stage 2 at MRC etc) I love it.

I’ve noticed that until the engine has warmed a bit (water gauge has started moving) the engine can stutter / doesn’t accelerate cleanly under partial load but if you put your foot down it’s fine. I mentioned it to MRC who couldn’t find anything.

I’ve since run VCDS and it had a ‘left engine mount solenoid valve N144 P1573 - 004 - open circuit intermittent’ fault but don’t know if its linked.

Can anyone help?

I had same problem changed maf sensor ,sorted.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk
Do you have a part number for the sensor?
RS4 B7 • Phantom Black • Centre Resonator Delete • Wireless Apple CarPlay
SQ5 TDI • Ibis White • Fully Optioned • Wireless Apple CarPlay

fairzy
2nd Gear

Post by fairzy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:16 am

FaisalJ wrote:This is common behaviour for a deflapped car - mine does it too (and I too thought something was wrong and asked MRC to check).

As to why it did this before - are you sure your flaps were operational? They can get stuck.

I’m pretty sure the flaps were operating ok before - MRC said they were in good condition when they were taken out and there were no errors in VCDS.

Changing MAF sounds like an option - will have a look around to see how much a replacement is and if it’s a DIY job.

Also am I right in thinking there are flaps in / below the air box that you can test with VCDS? Wonder if they could be part of it...

alex760
1st Gear

Post by alex760 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:35 pm

There is an airbox flap that is indeed in/below the airbox, it opens above 5500rpm. And yes it can be tested during the vacuum tests using VCDS, There's a guide in the FAQ post.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”