Rs4 feeling old and loose...

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Phantomrs4
Neutral

Rs4 feeling old and loose...

Post by Phantomrs4 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:37 pm

Hi all, new to the forum.

So I’ve recently bought a b7 rs4 saloon in phantom black and love it!

But.... When I went for my first proper drive today it just felt old. Yes it’s 13 years old but I was just wondering if there’s anything I can do to maybe try tighten everything back up a bit so it drives more like a new car. Any bushes or mounts that could do with being replaced??
Also it no longer has the drc as it was leaking so the dealers I bought it from changed to bilstein shocks with standard springs.

Thanks any advice would be much appreciated!

marc1
Cruising

Re: Rs4 feeling old and loose...

Post by marc1 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:11 pm

Get it all checked over underneath to see if there is play in any of the bushes. Updated ARB’s also tighten it up when you’ve moved to coilovers. If all the perishable rubber is replaced, there is no need for the car to feel old and tired.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:05 pm

The front suspension arms will need replacing (or at least the bushes) if they haven't been done for a while (or at all).

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:58 am

The Bilstein shocks that were fitted , I assume they are S4 dampers because Bilstein dont make for the RS4 specifically . if they are B 6 then the valving wont be perfect for the RS4'S higher unsprung mass . Also check the front upper control arms these are prone to failure which results in toe changes while you are driving and this is a little unsettling .

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:23 am

One of the tests i do is to drive around a car park with full lock . if you can feel the wheels judder , it means the car isnt tracking correctly due to play in the steering and suspension components . then you can start looking closely at all the bushes and control arms , tie rods, rod ends, and ball joints . Marc1 mentioned uprated anti roll bars .
This is because most replacement after market dampers arent valved for the RS4 as i mentioned ( commercially shock manufacturers use the S4 or sometimes A4 shocks in the RS4 and this is far from ideal ) . The kit we supply is set up and valved for the RS4'S additional unsprung weight and it has stiffer low frequency forces which limit body pitch and roll similar to the function of the DRC . great results and more comfortable than hi pressure mono tube shocks which have 25 bar gas pressure in them .

Phantomrs4
Neutral

Post by Phantomrs4 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:51 pm

thanks for the comments. I thought the Bilstein shocks were a bit odd as I couldn't find them myself online. I plan on switching to coilovers in the coming months anyway so I think ill get a control arm kit and uprated ARB whilst im at it. should feel very good then.

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:30 pm

adamluke , you wont find a coil over kit developed for the car either . there are lots of companies offering them but the same problem will apply . they use the A 4 or S 4 shocks . I am not sure why you wish to go Coil over ? what are you hoping to achieve ?? really low is probably the only reason to put coil overs ? If you are sure about going this route let me explain the pros and cons and make some recommendations , this way you will avoid getting something you didnt expect or want and hopefully wont waste money .

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:16 pm

Shockerboy I'm confused by your statement. KW do a specific kit for the RS4 B7 as everyone knows and works perfectly. Have I missed something ?
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:28 am

Covkiller, dont be confused , , I am actually a "KW Performance Partner" in UK. however, my general statement regarding damper manufacturers using A 4, or S 4 parts in the RS4 is pretty much industry wide . Bilstein list the same part number for S4 as RS4 and many Bilstein fans bought the kits believing it was purpose built for the RS4 which certainly doesnt appear to be the case . . From the KW parts break down it looks like the spring rates they supply may be slightly different but ill get a little more clarity from the tech guys at head office and let you know . I would certainly recommend the KW V 3 above anything else to customers wanting coil overs . For the following reasons 1, the V3 is adjustable valving so we can set it up for the heavier unsprung mass on the RS4 , 2, they have the same approach to sport suspension as KONI and that is simply that performance suspension doesnt have to be hard and harsh on the road .To achieve this both KONI and KW stay away from MONO TUBE hi pressure gas shocks ( except on proper Race kits ) . i will get more info on the RS4 listing from KW however so we can see how specific it is. In my opinion the larger shock companies wont tool up specifically for an RS4 B7 as demand isnt big enough to justify the set up costs and developement .
I have compalined to E bay several times that they list A4 shocks For the RS4 in there Vehicle finder , i sent them technical specs on the different dampers and asked them to be more specific as its really dangerous to fit an A4 shock in an RS4 even though it looks the same and FITS perfectly . The damper forces in an A4 are almost half that of a RS4 . so the car would be incredibly unstable in adverse conditions . They said that they would continue to advertise as before as they didnt believe it was a problem . Heaven forbid ????

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:24 am

Thank you for the explanation
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:25 pm

Great info here by Shockerboy.

So if I understand correctly. In essence the Koni solution is a made to measure solution for the RS4 B7 suspension and the closest thing to it is the more expensive KW V3 coilovers which offer height adjustability as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phantomrs4
Neutral

Post by Phantomrs4 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:22 am

I’m just struggling to believe that the coilovers that people use on their rs4’s such as the bilstien and the kw kits are dangerous and aren’t made for them. They are a proven product for the rs4. They get recommended my everyone and there must be thousands that are currently using their coilovers set ups. I’ll be going for kw for I get some.

JamesBaby
3rd Gear

Post by JamesBaby » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:33 am

He didn’t say the Bilstein or KW are dangerous. He says the eBay shocks which are designed for normal A4’s are incorrectly also listed as suitable for RS4’s when they’re not.

Earlier in the thread he explained that Bilstein or non KW coilovers are valved for A4/S4’s and this ‘is not ideal’ as the forces on the RS4 are hugely different.

KW V3 can be adjusted to be correct, and the Koni are designed for the RS4.

Phantomrs4
Neutral

Post by Phantomrs4 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:50 am

Fair enoough, I’m thinking of going with kw v3 but I’ve notices the koni dampers are a lot cheaper. Would the koni dampers coupled with H&R springs or kw adjustable springs be a decent set up? Seems a lot cheaper option over the v3’s

KWheeler
1st Gear

Post by KWheeler » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:14 pm

MikeFish wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:05 pm
The front suspension arms will need replacing (or at least the bushes) if they haven't been done for a while (or at all).
Just had these done at MRC, picking the car up Saturday, front end feels tight to me but glad to get them done. Bit of mist on one DRC shock but when they go, they will be replaced with DRC. Nothing against aftermarket suspension if it suitable for the RS4 or can be adapted in this way, unfortunately too many have not been setup correctly / running these cars on the cheap.
2010 RS6 Plus saloon number 433 in Mugello blue Stage 1 APR map and filter, Milltek Non Resonated, RR 655PS/949NM
Interior Audi exclusive leather package 2 in valcona, climate comfort seats, electric steering column, adaptive cruise, parking system advanced, garage door opener, UV glass.

Current:
10 RS6 Plus Stage 1
15 Golf R stage 1

Previous:
07 RS4 saloon Mugello blue
07 MKV R32
03 Impreza STI
99 RX7 Type R
01 TT 225Q
97 A4 2.8Q

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”