Rs4 feeling old and loose...

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Re: Rs4 feeling old and loose...

Post by Shockerboy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:34 pm

To clarify . If you reference any manufacturer with the S 4 and RS 4 you will see most use the same part numbers . The KONI RS4 kit is not available off catalogue , it has been developed specifically by CRS and tuned specifically to the RS4 ( hundreds of these done during the developement phase ) it carrys a RS4 part number to differentiate it. The Koni shock kit is well priced and adjustable so it can be set up to work extremely well with H&R sport lowering springs . Some customers have commented on this forum about the combination .

The KW and KONI dampers use dual tube technology , this makes them more comfortable than the tried and tested Bilstein dampers which uses race car technology "MONO TUBE hi pressure gas" . the gas pressure is 25 bar approxiametly and this does affect ride comfort . Some love it, some hate it , Ride quality is a personal thing but you dont have to forfeit levels of comfort to get a car that handles really well . KONI and KW have proved that as they both have similar philosphy .

adamluke97 . there is a big difference in price between a KW V 3 Stainless steel Coil over system @ £ 1595.00 ( Current special ) and a replacement sport shock kit @£595 . They both give great results , so the chioce is simply how low ?? KONI do standard height and H&R low 25 mm or KW V 3 up to 45 mm front 30 mm rear .

kwheeler . the above 2 options are extremely capable products with fantastic pedigrees . No compromise with either and frankly not that cheap , The ridiculous repair costs from Audi simply force owners to seek safe alternatives and more realistic costs . The advanced valving systems in these parts compensate for the operation of the DRC system as the dampers have greater forces in low frequency suspension movements so no compromise there either .

AlexB7RS4
2nd Gear

Rs4 feeling old and loose...

Post by AlexB7RS4 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:25 am

Interesting. Wish I knew this before buying coilovers. Glad I went for the KW V3s over the Bilsteins, which I have to say feel fantastic to me in both normal road use and spirited driving. They did come with a KW recommended setup too.

I was under the impression, having read somewhere once that KW also built the DRC as the OEM for the B7 RS4, which would make them quite familiar with the vehicle's needs, but I might be mistaken here. Shockerboy could you confirm this through your connections?

Adamluke - what's your car history? I'm interested to know what you are comparing it to that has it feeling 'old and loose'. My car feels like one of the tightest cars I've driven, and the others I've driven all felt much the same regardless of mileage - it was one of the reasons I bought an RS4 - even the less well cared for cars felt solid. I come from a long list of Japanese turbo/sports cars and Australian V8s (even a few 10yrs newer than my RS4). But it's always about perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:28 pm

I think the springs were made by KW but the dampers come from Japan? Could be wrong but I remember reading something about it years ago.

*Update*

The dampers were made by KW but the central reservoirs/valves were made by KYB (Kayaba)
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:57 pm

I dont think KW had anything to do with the RS4 DRC system , i am sure they would have mentioned it when i was discussing RS 4 s specifically with them on a recent visit to the factory in Germany . . It would be someone like Sachs , Boge or similar company that made it .

Phantomrs4
Neutral

Post by Phantomrs4 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:06 am

AlexB7RS4 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:25 am

Adamluke - what's your car history? I'm interested to know what you are comparing it to that has it feeling 'old and loose'. My car feels like one of the tightest cars I've driven, and the others I've driven all felt much the same regardless of mileage - it was one of the reasons I bought an RS4 - even the less well cared for cars felt solid. I come from a long list of Japanese turbo/sports cars and Australian V8s (even a few 10yrs newer than my RS4). But it's always about perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I say old and loose I mean the near side tends to wonder ever ever so slightly on rough surfaces or a pothole or something making the steering pull. Don’t get me wrong, the handling is amazing. Going around round abouts at speeds I really shouldn’t be. But maybe it’s because I’ve been driving a brand new a3 saloon for the last 2 years.

Outtlaw
5th Gear

Post by Outtlaw » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:28 pm

Tyres can make a big difference to how these cars handle, makes, tread depth, and pressures can all have an affect with tramlining, could be down to them!

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”