To Re-Charge DRC or not, that is the question?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
MIDZ
2nd Gear

To Re-Charge DRC or not, that is the question?

Post by MIDZ » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:44 pm

It's about that time of year where I put the car in to stealer for annual service, but this time I was thinking of getting the DRC drained, re-filled with new oil and charged up to specific pressure purely because of age. Question is, it has been so far so good with no issues. Do I leave something that is not broken and wait for it to die or potentially prolong its life by giving it a bit of TLC?

GaryA
2nd Gear

Re: To Re-Charge DRC or not, that is the question?

Post by GaryA » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:17 am

I'd be very interested to see how you get on as I'm also thinking of a recharge. Do you have a price yet ?

MIDZ
2nd Gear

Post by MIDZ » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:07 pm

Not yet Gary, I'm out the country for a month working so I'll get a price when I get back home.
It's a catch 22 really because if I get it recharged and it fails I'll blame Audi, although I have no history of DRC repairs on my car so I don't know the last time it's been touched? If it's not too expensive I'll just go for it :shock:

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:44 pm

What is the condition of the pipework linking the shocks?
No point recharging if it is badly corroded. I am running coilovers but the original pipework is still in place, gets flagged up as badly rusted at the MOT every year despite it not being connected.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

MIDZ
2nd Gear

Post by MIDZ » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:01 pm

Good point. Car's done 59000m and I've never had it flagged at mot over the 4yr I've owned it....yet.
It looks in reasonable condition from what you can see. Had a look the other day when I changed fr bottom control arms, and rear pads. I coated exposed pipework in copper-slip paste. Try to keep it off the road in salty winter time and in the garage

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:44 pm

we supply small plastic caps to close up the DRC pipes when we retro fit or supply the RS4 KONI kit . i hadnt heard of the MOT flagging un used pipes but i guess it makes sense. to remove the pipes is a pain over the petrol tank so i guess if i had this issue i would cut the pipes out that are visible because it looks bad on the MOT cert. If you recharge the system and a pipe fails with in a few months, Audi will certainly not take any responsibility for that which is understandable . Many of the cars we do have badly corroded charging points for the DRC system , this is the valve situated at each of the 4 shocks . we have seen quotes of over £3000 pounds to replace the DRC system in total .
I understand that some owners think that the car is better with the DRC in and worth more when its time to sell , but this simply isnt the case . Many buyers look to see if the DRC has been removed because they are aware of the issues that DRC has. If quality equipment is fitted it is a plus not a negative also the handling and comfort are both improved so there isnt much motivation to continually spend money on the DRC unless you are an absolute Purist . If any one needs more info please message me .

ArthurPE
Cruising

Post by ArthurPE » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:09 pm

I would not mess with it. If it is not leaking (shocks or tubing) no need to.
It is a sealed system and the hydraulic fluid does not 'wear out'.
If not leaking and it is not working right (sway/roll/dive, noise, etc) chances are it's the control valve/accumulator. These are precharged with N if iirc.

These guys might be worth talking to: http://www.sjbautotech.co.uk/drc-maintenance.html
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe...Albert Einstein

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:01 pm

Confirmed that generally all shocks and shock systems are charged with nitrogen because when the shocks get hot normal pressurised air would generate Condensation and rust the internal components . Nitrogen does not cause condensation ! Its the pressure that keeps everything working correctly not the use of Nitrogen , with out the pressure the shocks will cavitate and not function correctly . Shock oil, like engine oil definately does wear out and i would have expected Audi to offer a service on DRC which could include an oil change in my opinion .

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”