Audi RS4 2006 4.2V8 front suspension problem(unusual knocking)

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Turbomotorsport
Neutral

Audi RS4 2006 4.2V8 front suspension problem(unusual knocking)

Post by Turbomotorsport » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:53 am

Hello guys...i have big mistery with unusual knocking noise from the front left part of car..sometimes not everytime when driving across holes on a road i have clunking noise from somewhere in left..car have DRC suspension sistem and KW springs fitted on original apsorber lowering car about 3cm...possible problem? I work like mechanic so I ve looked all usual problems for this type of noise but i cant find nothing unusual...i looked tightness of every bolt on suspension,steering rack etc..everythings perfect,all silent block are new(original audi parts) ..but the noise still coming.... i m not really expert for DRC suspension sistem but that s only i can suspect for now.. sistem was never repaired or re-pressurized so maybe in this i have problem?Does anyone have siilar problem? Plz help me with this it driving me crazy :) :FIREdevil: :FIREdevil: :drink:

pule333
5th Gear

Re: Audi RS4 2006 4.2V8 front suspension problem(unusual knocking)

Post by pule333 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:30 pm

Litteraly close your eyes and swap DRC for aftermarket (or new DRC struts). That’s you problem. If it never been repaired it’s the shocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ilya, photographer http://www.ikrylov.com

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie
AMD stage2|De-coked|GruppeM|CAF|Eibach arbs|BilsteinB14|Goodridge hoses|DS3000|phaeton brake ducts|Led tail lights|Trups DTRL|LED interior|JcWeldFab|034 motorsport endlinks, mounts and bushings|ECS Differential Mount|JHM short shift|JHM intake spacers|8/10mm H&R|R2D2 10" sub and AMP|Corbeau seats|4point harness

Turbomotorsport
Neutral

Post by Turbomotorsport » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:30 pm

Ok,tnx for information..so refilling/pressurise with new DRC fluid will not solve the problem? if i put aftermarket struts i need to close the pipes with something or just bleed sistem out?

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:37 pm

No it won’t. Most likely your lines are corroded.
They are mild steel. Thin wall. Car is 12+ years old.

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie
AMD stage2|De-coked|GruppeM|CAF|Eibach arbs|BilsteinB14|Goodridge hoses|DS3000|phaeton brake ducts|Led tail lights|Trups DTRL|LED interior|JcWeldFab|034 motorsport endlinks, mounts and bushings|ECS Differential Mount|JHM short shift|JHM intake spacers|8/10mm H&R|R2D2 10" sub and AMP|Corbeau seats|4point harness

pule333
5th Gear

Post by pule333 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:38 pm

Turbomotorsport wrote:Ok,tnx for information..so refilling/pressurise with new DRC fluid will not solve the problem? if i put aftermarket struts i need to close the pipes with something or just bleed sistem out?
Yeah just rip it all out. Won’t need them any more.

RS4 B7 aka Vinnie

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:08 am

Turbomotorsport , The issues with the RS4 In the UK climate are the hydralic pipes linking the Shocks , they corrode badly particularly over the petrol tank . . the shocks them selves also give a lot of trouble . Quotes from Audi vary up to £4000 in the worst case . It is normal nowadays to replace with an after market kit , If you dont do lots of track days and like the look of the car, the KONI shock kit is the best bang for buck you can get , its been developed specifically by KONI and CRS to give a perfect solution. Search on this forum and lots of people rave about it . This kit will put the car back to NEW performance from the suspension with out breaking the bank . We supply fitting instructions and blank of caps for the pipes which we can be left on the car.. We also offer tips for the installation ( or can do the installation if convenient to you ) . Normal shocks wont work in the RS4 so be cautious what you buy. If you want a slightly lower stance H&R springs coupled to the KONI kit works perfectly and we pre adjust the dampers for max performance in this instant . If you want very low ? Coil overs are the way forward but the ride is harsh and speed humps become something of an issue to overcome with out breaking middle gear box mounting if you arent careful .

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:11 am

My opinion, Some say repairing the DRC to keep the value of the car up and completely original is not neccessarily true , If i was buying one of these cars my biggest concern would be the DRC if it was still standard . Fitting quality equipment cant devalue the car !

AlexB7RS4
2nd Gear

Post by AlexB7RS4 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:04 pm

Agreed Shockerboy, I'd be looking for a car with newish coilovers if I was buying. Disagree about the harshness though, my KW V3s are better than the stock DRC was in both ride and performance.

Shockerboy
2nd Gear

Post by Shockerboy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:57 pm

hi AlexB7RS4 . Upto last week i would argue black is blue that KW would be a little harder than the standard parts . Having spent 3 days at KW factory last week and seeing the company for its true worth . I would tend to accept that its possible now . Those who know me on this forum will see i always comment about comfort and the retro fitting of the KONI RS4 shocks that i exclusively developed with KONI . KW have adopted the same phylosophy as KONi and do actually concentrate on comfortas well . To get a car to handle it doesnt have to be hard . The use of Race car technology "MONO TUBE shocks" as supplied by Bilstein and others will always be harsh as the Gas pressure is over 25 Bar .in each damper .

AlexB7RS4
2nd Gear

Post by AlexB7RS4 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:36 pm

Agreed. Overly stiff suspension is not good for road driving performance. Great for a smooth track, but if your suspension is making your car skip and hop over bumps on the road, it will slow you down.

The V3s are far from a luxury car comfort don't get me wrong. If you're used to a Range Rover then don't expect to love them (you won't love the DRC either) but for anyone who is used to driving performance cars they are just fine for comfort and quite liveable on average roads.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”