Steering Wheel

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Post Reply
User avatar
FrazerD
4th Gear
Posts: 802
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:48 pm
Location: Suffolk/Moray

Steering Wheel

Post by FrazerD » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:08 pm

Hi folks,

I have a bit of a dilemma going on in the back of my head that I would like to share with you, you might have to bare with me.

I have a flat bottom steering wheel which I’m not a massive fan of but could live with it although I would like to get it retrimmed along with the gear knob. To have this done I couldn’t not replace the buttons or the RS4 badge at the bottom. As you all know, this is rather expensive and along with a retrim it would be pricey. I would also like to get a stage 2 map which would mean using the s button which would inevitably wear away. So my choices would be, leave it as it is and live with it, retrim it and possibly put a bit of clear vinyl over the buttons and badge before fitting to stop wear or replace the whole wheel for a more basic one, B5 and put an s button on the dash.

Am I mad or am I just overthinking it or am just being tight?

Cheers :thumbs:

marc1
Cruising
Posts: 3253
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: Steering Wheel

Post by marc1 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:54 pm

All of the above 😝

User avatar
FrazerD
4th Gear
Posts: 802
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:48 pm
Location: Suffolk/Moray

Re: Steering Wheel

Post by FrazerD » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:06 pm

marc1 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:54 pm
All of the above 😝
Haha, I kind of thought so. I had my M3 steering wheel retrimmed and I loved it. Hence why I want to do it, the trim just make it expensive. Maybe I just need to take it on the chin.

Do you think clear vinyl over the buttons and badges would stop them from wearing?

Cheers :thumbs:

marc1
Cruising
Posts: 3253
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: Steering Wheel

Post by marc1 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:03 pm

Who are using to retrim? Jack at a royal? That will make anog difference and if your buttons and trim are well worn, replace them too. In six months time you’re not going to think you wish you’d not spend £xxx but you would more likely think you wished you’d replaced the buttons, etc. Just do it and your OCD will be happy. Your wallet can recover!

I suspect vinyl will make them fee funny and probably curl up in the corners over time. It’s taken 12 years and however many fat fingers to get to the current condition, so it will probably be ok. I guess you could coat them in some sort of clear lacquer/nail varnish type product designed to protect plastics.

Anyway rule 1 on the current condition.

User avatar
Ian_C
Cruising
Posts: 6437
Joined: Fri May 07, 2004 10:11 pm
Location: Bedford

Re: Steering Wheel

Post by Ian_C » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:04 pm

If you want a plain B7 S line steering wheel, I've just bought a 2006 B7 A4 S line MFSW with paddles to replace the oem A4 B7 S line MFSW (without paddles) in my 2007 3.0 TDI Tiptronic. The wheel I bought has an airbag too, hence I will be able to let the current steering wheel in the car go including the airbag. Location Bedford. I do stress I didnt have any plans to change it whilst the weather is like this in January and February! But send me a message if you'd like it
B5 B6 B7

User avatar
FrazerD
4th Gear
Posts: 802
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:48 pm
Location: Suffolk/Moray

Re: Steering Wheel

Post by FrazerD » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:13 pm

marc1 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:03 pm
Who are using to retrim? Jack at a royal? That will make anog difference and if your buttons and trim are well worn, replace them too. In six months time you’re not going to think you wish you’d not spend £xxx but you would more likely think you wished you’d replaced the buttons, etc. Just do it and your OCD will be happy. Your wallet can recover!

I suspect vinyl will make them fee funny and probably curl up in the corners over time. It’s taken 12 years and however many fat fingers to get to the current condition, so it will probably be ok. I guess you could coat them in some sort of clear lacquer/nail varnish type product designed to protect plastics.

Anyway rule 1 on the current condition.
Yes it would be Royal, that’s who done my M3 so I would go back. I also changed my trim to piano black at the same time and it made a huge difference so I think you’re right. I would be more annoyed if I didn’t do it right the first time and had to fanny around swapping trim at a later date.

That’s very true, never thought of it like that. I’m glad I posted as I think you have convinced me that I was mad and to just get on with it, thanks. I’ll post a photo next time I’m in it.

Cheers :thumbs:

User avatar
demon8991
Neutral
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:30 am
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Re: Steering Wheel

Post by demon8991 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:53 am

Out of interest where would you get the sport button and bottom section of the steering wheel from. Been toying with the exact same thing myself but Audi don't seem to stock them any more.
RS4 B7 • Phantom Black • Centre Resonator Delete
SQ5 TDI • Ibis White • Fully Optioned

User avatar
FrazerD
4th Gear
Posts: 802
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:48 pm
Location: Suffolk/Moray

Re: Steering Wheel

Post by FrazerD » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:55 am

eBay or google are your best bet.

Cheers :thumbs:

User avatar
Covkiller
Top Gear
Posts: 2202
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:44 pm
Location: Coventry

Re: Steering Wheel

Post by Covkiller » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:14 am

I have an MRC stage 2. The S button acts like a turbo. I've been pressing this little button for 5 years and it hasn't worn out yet. I did change it when I bought this RS4 though.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs.

User avatar
FrazerD
4th Gear
Posts: 802
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:48 pm
Location: Suffolk/Moray

Re: Steering Wheel

Post by FrazerD » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:28 am

Covkiller wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:14 am
I have an MRC stage 2. The S button acts like a turbo. I've been pressing this little button for 5 years and it hasn't worn out yet. I did change it when I bought this RS4 though.
Excellent, I think I will just do it right and be done with it.

Cheers :thumbs:

Post Reply

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brooner, coffey555, Lady Penelope, Lenine666 and 95 guests