Can you help ?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
HPsauce
4th Gear

Re: Can you help ?

Post by HPsauce » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:32 am

It sounds like the warning light is a weird symptom of an electronic problem somewhere in an ECU or the instrument cluster.
So it could be an immobiliser-related issue, or maybe even water ingress.

WRS4
2nd Gear

Post by WRS4 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:07 pm

So went to mums this morning (in the works van) thought id try the car and it started first time WTF ??? ive left it there because obviously I dare not take it anywhere now encase I break down again. So what does anyone suggest please ??? If I call out the AA on Monday, I can only call them if the car wont start so its a gamble that it then doesn't start when they turn up, DO THEY HAVE THE TOOLS and skills to find whats wrong so at least I know ??? because I cant fix what I don't know is wrong, As a paying member of AA surely its there job to solve it or not? or will it be a case of they just take it to a garage then I have to put up with a garage trying to solve it and of course charging me for the benefit....Needless to save im P.... Off
Sprint Blue RS4 - 20" X 10J 3DSM Wheels - Carbon Front Splitter - Carbon Rear Diffuser - H & R Anti Roll Bars - Bilstein Adjustable Shocks - Milltek Exhaust System - De Catted - Valve Removed - MRC Stage 2 Re-Map - 480 bhp

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:01 pm

AA is mainly a rescue and recovery organisation though they will try and fix "simpler" problems, which yours clearly isn't.

Choose a decent garage, pick a time when they will be open for several hours and you have time to spare and drive there. If it dies en route call the AA.

WRS4
2nd Gear

Post by WRS4 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:03 pm

ok, it never dies while driving though, very strange
Sprint Blue RS4 - 20" X 10J 3DSM Wheels - Carbon Front Splitter - Carbon Rear Diffuser - H & R Anti Roll Bars - Bilstein Adjustable Shocks - Milltek Exhaust System - De Catted - Valve Removed - MRC Stage 2 Re-Map - 480 bhp

WRS4
2nd Gear

Post by WRS4 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:10 pm

before I do anything, I will fit the normal bulbs in the headlights again rather than all that electrical stuff with wires and fans that came on the upgraded lights that I fitted last year, as its only lights im assuming as I said before it wont be this but I agree its probably electrical so hey you never know that may well fix the issue, they should arrive tomorrow so I will give them a go before deciding my next move

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:01 pm

Very wise, start from a default base. I hope you get it sorted out. Electrical problems are pain in the :assflash: aRSe
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

MB2
Top Gear

Post by MB2 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:53 pm

WRS4 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:56 am
Are we all agreed that a faulty light / bulb cant stop the car from starting ? OR if it was indeed the Headlight range control sensor then this too would not stop the car from actually starting ?
Yes - when I bought my car it had this error and the car ran fine. It did need a jump start and produced this error plus TPMS errors but the car drove fine and all resolved before I picked it up (they did send it to Audi to fix).

WRS4
2nd Gear

Post by WRS4 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:43 am

ok all the lighting has been removed, as you can see they have been over heating as the black box thing on both lights have got very hot, again not saying this is the reason BUT still electrical related so piece of mind they have been removed, hoping the new bulbs arrived today so I can see, oh and the car started up first time again this morning.
image1 (9).jpeg

WRS4
2nd Gear

Post by WRS4 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:14 am

So spoke to Audi, they cant advise which I knew anyway as they just want your money, told me to book it in for a diagnostic £60 all in, I said ok but wont it just show the error for the light on my dash anyway but she assures me it will pick up all faults ( is that true ?) but then I said to her what if the fault isn't happening at the time you look at my car, she said she doesn't think the error will show up ??? Now in order to get the car to them the car would have to be working anyway so it wouldn't probably have the fault when I arrive FFS, then the best bit is I did agree to book it in, gave them my private reg which I have on all cars ive owned and it came back as a car I owned 4 cars ago lol, so she now needs the chassis number or she cant book me in and of course I don't have that with me and the car is not home yet OMG I GIVE UP I REALLY DO lol, there must be a way of resolving this. Please if anyone has one of those error fault finding things in or around Bedfordshire could you let me know, id be willing to travel within reason to get to you and maybe on the day my car works I could bring it to you to see what you think as I am getting nowhere like this

tanoga
4th Gear

Post by tanoga » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Oh go on then I'll see if I can help out. I've got Vag Com but only ever used it on a B5. I'm based in Dunstable.

tanoga
4th Gear

Post by tanoga » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:57 pm

OMG that last post of mine was number 666 on this forum for me :shock:

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:09 pm

Vag Com won't be much use on a B7. Might read the engine but little if anything else. You need VCDS.

tanoga
4th Gear

Post by tanoga » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:17 pm

HPsauce wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:09 pm
Vag Com won't be much use on a B7. Might read the engine but little if anything else. You need VCDS.
I meant VCDS. I have a genuine Ross-Tech KII-USB cable

WRS4
2nd Gear

Post by WRS4 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:18 pm

tanoga wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:55 pm
Oh go on then I'll see if I can help out. I've got Vag Com but only ever used it on a B5. I'm based in Dunstable.
OMG your a star :jump: are you available this weekend ? and if sowhen and what time? i will obviously work around you and thats if the car starts on the day, PM details and thanks again

tanoga
4th Gear

Post by tanoga » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:01 pm

PM sent👍

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”