Can you help ?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
WRS4
2nd Gear

Can you help ?

Post by WRS4 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:49 pm

I have a fault on my car, and I cant get to the bottom of it so if anyone can advise I would appreciate it. Basically once in a blue moon if I saw the Headlight range control light come up on the dash, my car would turn over but not start up, this then went to monthly and now its a couple of times a week its happening. The way I get around this is I just sit there for 10 minutes to 20 minutes flicking on and off my light switch and pressing things until this light comes off the dash and my car will then start up?? now I have looked into this symbol and it should in no way stop the car starting so im unsure why this is happening.

I have upgraded the bulbs to the ones that used to be sold on here, the ones with all the fans and wiring looms, and these worked perfectly fine, I have noticed occasionally my side light on one side goes out and then works again but I don't think this is linked to my issue, also this issue did not start when I first fitted these new bulbs.

So I just have no idea whats going on, when the light displays my car will not start, and when I look online as to what this light is for, it should not stop the car starting up so its all confusing, can any one advise or has anyone got the same issue ?
Audi-Dashboard-Warning-Lights-Headlight-range-control-system-Yellow.jpg
this is the dash light that sometimes shows
Audi-Dashboard-Warning-Lights-Headlight-range-control-system-Yellow.jpg (8.25 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
Sprint Blue RS4 - 20" X 10J 3DSM Wheels - Carbon Front Splitter - Carbon Rear Diffuser - H & R Anti Roll Bars - Bilstein Adjustable Shocks - Milltek Exhaust System - De Catted - Valve Removed - MRC Stage 2 Re-Map - 480 bhp

mikep99
4th Gear

Re: Can you help ?

Post by mikep99 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:51 pm

Is your battery in good order?
Might not be the issue but its a start...

Mike

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:53 pm

Might be an idea to get the codes read too and see if there’s an error.

Cheers :thumbs:

WRS4
2nd Gear

Post by WRS4 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:54 am

Yes the battery was newly fitted 8 months ago, plenty of power and the car turns over as normal, just wont fire if this light shows, once the light has gone it starts, couldn't start her this morning so I gave up came back in and made coffee.....will try again shortly.

My mate has an error code type reader but nothing showed up, its an intermittent issues with this dash light
Sprint Blue RS4 - 20" X 10J 3DSM Wheels - Carbon Front Splitter - Carbon Rear Diffuser - H & R Anti Roll Bars - Bilstein Adjustable Shocks - Milltek Exhaust System - De Catted - Valve Removed - MRC Stage 2 Re-Map - 480 bhp

WRS4
2nd Gear

Post by WRS4 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:56 am

Are we all agreed that a faulty light / bulb cant stop the car from starting ? OR if it was indeed the Headlight range control sensor then this too would not stop the car from actually starting ?

Nige_RS4
Cruising

Post by Nige_RS4 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:35 am

The handheld readers only usually read the engine ECU - you need VCDS. Where are you based?
www.speedcams.co.uk

B5 2.7t S4 - gone
B5 2.7t RS4 - gone
Ed 30 Golf DSG - gone
A5 3.0tdi - gone within 12 months!
S3 2.0 tfsi - 6+ years, but now sold
2018 Golf R 7.5

WRS4
2nd Gear

Post by WRS4 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Bedfordshire, ITS GOT WORSE NOW, the car will now not start at all, turning over fine, plenty of battery power just wont fire up, ive disconnected the lights and still wont fire up so im guessing ignore the warning light even though its on as it must be something unrelated and its just causing this light to come on for some reason, I checked the sensor inside the passenger side wheel and all looks ok even wd40 it to make sure its not seized even though I don't think its that because even that doesn't stop your car starting so any ideas anyone? my car is now stranded at my mums house and cant be used, as I say its turning over fine on the button just wont start up

Nige_RS4
Cruising

Post by Nige_RS4 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:05 pm

Really need to check for error codes otherwise you will be hunting round in the dark. Did you try your spare set of keys in case it's the immobiliser battery?

Take a peek in the VCDS forum to see if there are any local members ... viewtopic.php?f=39&t=51359 (I think the map is no longer working as it was created back in 2005!)
www.speedcams.co.uk

B5 2.7t S4 - gone
B5 2.7t RS4 - gone
Ed 30 Golf DSG - gone
A5 3.0tdi - gone within 12 months!
S3 2.0 tfsi - 6+ years, but now sold
2018 Golf R 7.5

WRS4
2nd Gear

Post by WRS4 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:37 pm

Nige_RS4 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:05 pm
Really need to check for error codes otherwise you will be hunting round in the dark. Did you try your spare set of keys in case it's the immobiliser battery?

Take a peek in the VCDS forum to see if there are any local members ... viewtopic.php?f=39&t=51359 (I think the map is no longer working as it was created back in 2005!)
I cant even get the car to a garage now sadly, wont the AA have one of these testers ? I am going to revert to the original bulbs on Saturday (again I know its not that but its one thing ive added so best to eliminate it at least) then if this don't work I will call out the AA on monday

HPsauce
4th Gear

Post by HPsauce » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:18 pm

Which end of Beds are you, I'm down in Bucks near Amersham and have a full VCDS if you can get going again. Used it on my sons B7 S4 just the other day.

WRS4
2nd Gear

Post by WRS4 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:16 pm

Im central I think, BUT yes if I can get the bloody thing started again by the weekend then id happily drive to you and see what you can find for me, that would be very appreciated as its driving me up the wall not knowing what should be or shouldn't be fixed or replaced

MIDZ
2nd Gear

Post by MIDZ » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:31 pm

Just a thought, what would happen if you dis-connect the battery earth for a minute or so then re-connect and try starting it?

WRS4
2nd Gear

Post by WRS4 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:24 pm

MIDZ wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:31 pm
Just a thought, what would happen if you dis-connect the battery earth for a minute or so then re-connect and try starting it?
Not sure, as this has been an issue for months but slowly got worse, I didn't think anything of doing that BUT anything worth a try so will do that in the morning as its at my mums house at the minute, anything worth a go at this moment I guess, cheers

MIDZ
2nd Gear

Post by MIDZ » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:44 pm

I know it's a bit primitive but maybe just to get you going and get hooked up to VCDS.
Another thing it sounds just like...say you ran out of petrol. I know you haven't but normally when you first enter the car after turning off the alarm you can hear the fuel lift pump prime for a few seconds. Are you hearing that sound?

WRS4
2nd Gear

Post by WRS4 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:48 pm

MIDZ wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:44 pm
I know it's a bit primitive but maybe just to get you going and get hooked up to VCDS.
Another thing it sounds just like...say you ran out of petrol. I know you haven't but normally when you first enter the car after turning off the alarm you can hear the fuel lift pump prime for a few seconds. Are you hearing that sound?
yes mate everything is in perfect working order, just when ever this light shows on dash it wont bloody start up, usually i sit there trying for 5 minutes or so, flicking buttons although i dont think this helps lol and the light will come off dash and away i go again, BUT ASI SAY this time its just having none of it. The worst thing is not knowing what the hell to replace or fix, that and its stranded at my mums lol

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”