Air box flap......

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Red roof
1st Gear

Air box flap......

Post by Red roof » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:24 am

Morning all, yesterday I removed my air box to run in a cable for my battery charger in order that it is nice and discreet. The flap came off as I removed the box, not a problem I thought until I tried to put it back in, so I gave up and went to the pub. This morning after a bit of research I have decided I want to put it back in but for the life of me I cannot see how it goes in built up and I can’t re attach it in situ. Can anyone tell me the best way to put it back in without lifting the engine out please!
I am thinking if the headlight is out it’d go in, but do I need to remove the bumper to shift the headlight?
The back of my hands have little skin left on them right now!
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by Red roof on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

MIDZ
2nd Gear

Re: Air box flap......

Post by MIDZ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Red roof
1st Gear

Post by Red roof » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:21 am

Thanks MIDZ, I think that will help, I’ll have a look when the rain stops!
Cheers

MIDZ
2nd Gear

Post by MIDZ » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:27 pm

I removed the airbox on mine a while ago to replace the flap solenoid and remember it being a balance of removing skin from my hands or breaking something...but i never removed the bumper, only moved the headlamp out enough to get the airbox out then back in. The hidden torx bolt is well hidden but you don't have to remove it...only slacken. I used a long extended torx bit to reach it, think i bought it for pennies off flea-bay. Cheers mate

Red roof
1st Gear

Post by Red roof » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Sorted, thanks for your help!
The torx bolt wasn’t as bad as it could be, my long torx key reached, just. Shifted the headlight about 20mm forward and gave enough space to shimmy the air box in built up with the flap in place. Then it was just a case of nipping up the torx bolts, doing the one in the wing blind.
All in and flaps tested with VCDS and everything functioning. Probably now time to put her away for winter.
Thanks again!

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”