RS4LAD
3rd Gear

Re: Potential Purchase Advice

Post by RS4LAD » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:41 pm

FrazerD wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:24 am
ashleyman wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:35 pm
Thanks for the reply. I understand the car was written off but the ad says it was written off because it had the seats stolen. To me that seems pretty insignificant so long as nothing mechanical was affected. I'd usually steer well clear of CAT cars but just not sure if it's 'that bad' when it comes to that specific RS.
It depends which way you look at it, either way it makes the car a CAT car which if you’re happy with, doesn’t matter but as said, I would be getting proof it was for the seats and not a cover up.
MikeFish wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:58 pm
Even still, I don't think it's worth doing at all unless you are looking for max power on the dyno. I say accept the car is about 390ps and enjoy rather than keep getting it cleaned.
I was on the mrc website the other night adding up what I was planning to get done and I think you have just saved me about a grand :bowdown:

Cheers :thumbs:
It doesn’t stop at 390ps, Iv seen them as bad as 300.

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:11 pm

RS4LAD wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:41 pm

So would you suggest a carbon clean? Does it get to a point and stop or will it just keep building up? My only trouble I have with it is how long the grand clean will last.

RS4LAD
3rd Gear

Post by RS4LAD » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:51 pm

FrazerD wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:11 pm
RS4LAD wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:41 pm

So would you suggest a carbon clean? Does it get to a point and stop or will it just keep building up? My only trouble I have with it is how long the grand clean will last.

It’ll get very bad, if you still have a stock manifold it will build up all round it and slowly sieze the flaps up too.

Preventing it happening is impossible, it can only slowed down depending on driving style and quality of fuel used.

To put it into perspective I had a carbon clean 6k miles ago it came in at 442ps/485nm. Then ran it again a few weeks ago and it was 439ps but strangely 498nm. Ran it quite a few times to be extra sure and they were final figures.

These engines have to be red lined to keep it down, combined with good quality fuel. De flapping the manifold also slows it down. Then you’ve got forced induction and superchargers which slow it down even more...

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:24 pm

RS4LAD wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:51 pm

It’ll get very bad, if you still have a stock manifold it will build up all round it and slowly sieze the flaps up too.

Preventing it happening is impossible, it can only slowed down depending on driving style and quality of fuel used.

To put it into perspective I had a carbon clean 6k miles ago it came in at 442ps/485nm. Then ran it again a few weeks ago and it was 439ps but strangely 498nm. Ran it quite a few times to be extra sure and they were final figures.

These engines have to be red lined to keep it down, combined with good quality fuel. De flapping the manifold also slows it down. Then you’ve got forced induction and superchargers which slow it down even more...
I will see what MRC can do when I book it in, I’m planning on going next year to get all the jobs done at once. 20k service, box and diff oil change, stage 2 map, cold air feed, other radiator replaced and maybe gutted pre cats fitted with clutch line done at the same time and maybe a carbon clean depending on how bad it is.

I always run on 99 and always give it a good blast.

RS4LAD
3rd Gear

Post by RS4LAD » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:30 pm

FrazerD wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:24 pm
RS4LAD wrote:

I will see what MRC can do when I book it in, I’m planning on going next year to get all the jobs done at once. 20k service, box and diff oil change, stage 2 map, cold air feed, other radiator replaced and maybe gutted pre cats fitted with clutch line done at the same time and maybe a carbon clean depending on how bad it is.

Ouch I took that hit all at once along with a clutch, stage 2 manifold and milltek! Was not a pretty bill.

Iv found Tesco 99 fuel to be crap quality lateley so Iv completeley left it behind and just use vpower now.

Mat20vt
2nd Gear

Post by Mat20vt » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:36 pm

Vpower every time.
All these cars are getting to that age now where big bills are unavoidable now imo.
I’ve had to do clutch and remove drc.
Brakes had to be done not long after buying. Oil cooler lines were replaced by garage I purchased car from
Previously big turbo'd mk4 golf, big turbo'd Audi A3 Quattro
Currently remapped vw caddy
& 2009 rs4 saloon, TTS supercharged, mrc mapped, miltek catback, kwv3, h&r arbs, gutted precats, ceramic brakes 610bhp 👍

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:47 pm

RS4LAD wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:30 pm
FrazerD wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:24 pm
RS4LAD wrote:

Ouch I took that hit all at once along with a clutch, stage 2 manifold and milltek! Was not a pretty bill.

Iv found Tesco 99 fuel to be crap quality lateley so Iv completeley left it behind and just use vpower now.
My thinking is that if I get it done on the same visit, I will save on travel, maybe a bit of saving on labour as they will be in about everything anyway and maybe a bit of discount too. I used to use v power in my M3 and read a few posts that 99 was just as good so changed to that for my RS.

RS4LAD
3rd Gear

Post by RS4LAD » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:47 pm

Mat20vt wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:36 pm
Vpower every time.
All these cars are getting to that age now where big bills are unavoidable now imo.
I’ve had to do clutch and remove drc.
Brakes had to be done not long after buying. Oil cooler lines were replaced by garage I purchased car from
I just had lines done too how long you recon they’ll look like this for?

And I’m actually excited for my drc to go! I have kw v3’s waiting to go on lol. Only problem is it’s still bone dry!!!! One thing I’d definateley do with these cars is when getting a carbon clean get injectors cleaned/serviced and seals replaced too
Attachments
5E83E2CD-EC75-4302-8786-71D1653546D2.jpeg

Mat20vt
2nd Gear

Post by Mat20vt » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:48 pm

TTS took my injectors out for mrc to test. Two of them were seized in so had to have two bran new injectors
Previously big turbo'd mk4 golf, big turbo'd Audi A3 Quattro
Currently remapped vw caddy
& 2009 rs4 saloon, TTS supercharged, mrc mapped, miltek catback, kwv3, h&r arbs, gutted precats, ceramic brakes 610bhp 👍

rs user
4th Gear

Post by rs user » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:12 pm

I just had lines done too how long you recon they’ll look like this for?

i coated all the metal bits in silicone grease -should last a lot longer,have done others in normal grease too,plus read on here folk putting denso tape on the cooler joints which makes sense if you can do anything to keep the moisture out to avoid the issue-as long as it doesnt damage the rubber

neil_f
2nd Gear

Post by neil_f » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:17 pm

mister_g wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:53 am
neil_f wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:24 pm
So many folk say don't touch one over 100k miles .
You're right, which means that if you do buy one over 100k miles, you may have a hard time selling it on again in future, because "so many folk say don't touch one over 100k miles'
Just as well I don't intend selling mine for years then! If priced correctly then it shouldn't be a big issue . Personally people that pay 25k plus for low mileage examples of these are nuts and I don't see the point in not using these cars.

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:58 pm

neil_f wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:17 pm
mister_g wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:53 am
neil_f wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:24 pm
So many folk say don't touch one over 100k miles .
You're right, which means that if you do buy one over 100k miles, you may have a hard time selling it on again in future, because "so many folk say don't touch one over 100k miles'
Just as well I don't intend selling mine for years then! If priced correctly then it shouldn't be a big issue . Personally people that pay 25k plus for low mileage examples of these are nuts and I don't see the point in not using these cars.
I bought mine at 92,000 almost 8 years ago. Up to 156,000 now. Lots of big bills but everything has been fixed properly along the way. Still makes me smile every time I get in it/clean it/look at it from the kitchen window.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

X1MYS
1st Gear

Post by X1MYS » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:22 am

I bought mine as a car d car had it repaired it my self it had minor damage and only needed the drivers side wing replacing,drivers side door and front drivers side alloy wheel mechanically was perfect just as a precaution I replaced all the wheel arms also. I have had the car now for 7 years which is a long time to own an RS4 but I absolutely love the car and puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. Like many others I have spent a lot on the car clutch replaced Drc removed de flapped manifold carbon clean 3 times last one done last month cooler pipes replaced new discs.
I’m thinking of selling the car this year not sure what price to put the car up at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”