Starting issue... but not the starter!!!

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
eljay
Neutral

Re: Starting issue... but not the starter!!!

Post by eljay » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:20 am

I this exact issue the other day when I had the ignition on for a little while playing with the VCDS. Pressed start after that and the car just looked blankly at me. No indication that the battery was flat. I was worried I’d screwed it with the VCDS somehow however a good day on the charger and it fired into life.
I wonder if you have a battery on its last legs even if it’s going. Might be worth removing it and having to properly tested.

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:49 pm

OK, after swapping my battery out for a new Varta AGM one a couple of weeks ago, everything was hunkydory.
Apart from yesterday, it didn't start after a small journey.
I've taken some current readings today to see if there's an obvious drain.
3 different sets of readings - unlocked, locked with standard alarm, locked with clifford alarm.
All 3 show about 4amp drain for 10 mins or so then it drops to about 0.06amps as expected.

Now, I appreciate I don't know what's happening between my visual checks (or for the following hours) but I'll set up a data logger over the next few days so I can get an idea of the bigger picture.

Question is, does anyone know approx. what the current draw should be once everything's shut down?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:46 pm

I'm no expert but 4 amps sounds like a lot for a car not doing anything. Heaters etc shouldn't be running, lights should be off. The amplifier will be on but as the stereo is off it shouldn't be doing much.

flylife2k
1st Gear

Post by flylife2k » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:47 pm

yes you seem to have a battery drain, use an ammeter and start taking your fuses out one by one, if pulling a particular fuse results in the amps dropping then you've identified your leaching cicuit... 4 amps is huge, should not be any larger than 0.5a when turned off (and thats big too!)

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Cheers for the responses fellas.
Anybody able to measure the current drain on their car for 10 / 15 mins or so after it has been locked?
It'll give me a benchmark to compare against then.

Thanks in advance
Mike

flylife2k
1st Gear

Post by flylife2k » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:06 pm

mikep99 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:39 pm
Cheers for the responses fellas.
Anybody able to measure the current drain on their car for 10 / 15 mins or so after it has been locked?
It'll give me a benchmark to compare against then.

Thanks in advance
Mike
Sorry Mike mines still in the garage being investigated, also havnt got an ammeter but might get one though... good to have one around
Tiff

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”