Worst-case repair estimate

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
TaPaKaH
Neutral

Worst-case repair estimate

Post by TaPaKaH » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:08 pm

Hi guys,

After having been stolen in July, my RS4 has been discovered by the police a few days ago. The thieves have crashed it into a highway barrier and this is how it looks today:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

I am now conducting talks with the insurance who reckon that the car is a write-off, whereas I argue that it is still feasible to repair it.
I would prefer to have the car repaired rather than receiving the monetary compensation, as the valuation by the insurer is likely to be waaay below the market price for a mechanically sound car.

Based on the pictures above, what could be the worst-case scenario for the repair and associated cost?

Basically, the car needs all new body panels on the left side, a lock mechanism and a new rim (or a set).
The engine and transmission seem fine.
The part I need help with is estimating the worst-case suspension damage. Based on broken rim, the impact was quite hard and the steering wheel no longer aligns with the wheels anymore.
Fitting aftermarket components, such as coilover conversion, is NOT an option as this is illegal for Swiss-registered cars.

Jon_J
5th Gear

Re: Worst-case repair estimate

Post by Jon_J » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:12 am

Why would you want it back? I’d never trust it again after having a smash like that. If it needs all those panels, paint. Wheels, bumper, suspension it will definitely be a write off. The panels will be into the mid thousands without paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White
S4 B7 Phantom Black (gone but not forgotten)
A4 B7 Avant 2.7 TDI Brilliant Red
A5 Cab 3.0 TDI Phantom Black

Jon_J
5th Gear

Post by Jon_J » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:13 am

Cut your losses, buy it back off then and strip it for parts. You’ll make back the difference in value there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RS4 B7 Sprint Blue
- Titanium Pack
- Black Optics
- B16's
- RNSE2 with AMI
- Reverse Camera
- Full Stereo install

S5 8T Cab White
S4 B7 Phantom Black (gone but not forgotten)
A4 B7 Avant 2.7 TDI Brilliant Red
A5 Cab 3.0 TDI Phantom Black

DavidRS4
4th Gear

Post by DavidRS4 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:41 pm

I would walk away as said above. You’d have constant doubts about the car when travelling at speed or cornering.

Cut your losses, buy the car and break it.
B7 RS4 Saloon, Phantom Black, Forge Oil Cooler Kit, 20 x 10.5j Vossens, Carbon Front Splitter, KW V3 Coilovers, Adjustable Front Arms, 20mm Spacers, Revolution Carbon Air Box, Rear 4 Pot Porsche Brake Conversion, Stud & Nut Kit, Milltek Non Res Non Valved Exhaust, RS6 Gloss Black Grill, Slightly Tinted Windows, JH Motorsports Stage 3R Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel, Robnic Braided Clutch Line. JH Motorsports Lightweight Grooved F & R Rotors with Braided Hoses and Hawk Pads

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:05 pm

As above. It could have the mintest repair. But what happens if the clutch goes after a month? Or the engine seizes after two months? Because the scum bags have been quite literally driving it like they stole it! Recovered after 1 day with 20 miles on the clock, yeah, maybe. But no way in hell would I want that back in that state when its been thrashed from cold for two months!
B5 B6 B7 B9

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:13 am

Secondhand parts

Wing £250
Front door £150
Back door £200
Bumper £350 - £500
Wheels £800 - £1000 for a set
Suspension - full set £800 b14 new
Full set of control arms - ? New
ARB - £350 H&R new
Paint and labour I would guess around - £3,500 -£4.500 if you strip the old parts and replace them yourself you could knock a grand off the labour.
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

mister_g
1st Gear

Post by mister_g » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:16 pm

It will be very hard to sell on after having such extensive repairs.

Most buyers would run a mile rather than buy a car that's been twoked, smashed up and repaired.

Save yourself the time, grief and worry. Get rid and buy a clean one in good shape, they do exist.
With my black B7
I'm in B7th heaven
And with DRC
My ride is heavenly
:blackrs4:

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”