Mileage

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
FrazerD
4th Gear

Mileage

Post by FrazerD » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:45 pm

Hi folks,

I am looking at an avant on autotrader and it has just over 100k on the clock. Originally I wanted as few as possible, obviously but am I just being silly and would it be a problem? I assume that just like any other car, aslong as the maintainence and history are good then it will be okay. No other gremlins to worry about for slightly higher mileage cars? Although still only about 8.5k a year so below average. I’m thinking a well maintained/preventative modded 100k car would be a better buy than a normally maintained 80k car.

Sorry for the maybe daft questions and I maybe answered them myself but just trying to do my homework.

Cheers :thumbs:

12th
3rd Gear

Re: Mileage

Post by 12th » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:55 am

Mileage in itself shouldn't be an issue, if the car's been treated well. Mine's over 80k with no major issues, but then I did them all so know it's been well-treated. Clutch will probably already have been done, mine lasted about 70k. If the engine hasn't had a clean etc, that should probably be done, and the DRC is something to look into. Mine's still fine, but it's not uncommon for issues to be reported. What percentage of cars suffer DRC problems I have no idea, but I'd suggest that the proportion here might be higher than overall because those who have problems will tend to scour the web for answers and help, and this is the best place I was able to find in that respect.
Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Saloon with MRC tweakery.

bennn
1st Gear

Post by bennn » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:09 am

How soon are you looking at getting one?

Mine will most likely be up for sale in a few weeks I think. I bought it on 96k in VGC due to condition, history and that it was a low owner car with most the common faults sorted. I think its now had all of the common faults sorted the main ones being:

Carbon Clean
Clutch, Flywheel uprated clutch pipe
Oil Cooler and Lines
Aux Radiators
DRC (DRC was replaced with Gen 3 dampers, has since failed and replaced with Koni shocks)
Front suspension arms done
MAF replaced
Airbox flap replaced
Clutch switches done

I haven't added te reciepts up but over the years the above represents somewhere in the region of £7k / £8k so its worth holding out for something which has had all of this sorted.

On top of the usual issues spec is also important IMO and for me it had to be Sprint Blue with the bucket seats (other bonus' with mine were the sat nav and black headlining)

I would love to say its a reluctant sale but TBH I've done about 1000 miles and its cost me about £1500 so far that coupled with the fact that the Mrs has brought our wedding forwards by a year and decided that our son needs christening now too means that it's just not good sense to keep it, especially given that I've got no desire to start married life in debt!

Feel free to drop me a PM if its of any interest but at the very least the above list will hopefully give you an idea of what you need to be looking / budgeting for.

DavidRS4
4th Gear

Post by DavidRS4 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:37 am

E Bay the family 😂
B7 RS4 Saloon, Phantom Black, Forge Oil Cooler Kit, 20 x 10.5j Vossens, Carbon Front Splitter, KW V3 Coilovers, Adjustable Front Arms, 20mm Spacers, Revolution Carbon Air Box, Rear 4 Pot Porsche Brake Conversion, Stud & Nut Kit, Milltek Non Res Non Valved Exhaust, RS6 Gloss Black Grill, Slightly Tinted Windows, JH Motorsports Stage 3R Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel, Robnic Braided Clutch Line. JH Motorsports Lightweight Grooved F & R Rotors with Braided Hoses and Hawk Pads

FrazerD
4th Gear

Post by FrazerD » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:08 pm

Thanks for your replies. I’m looking to get one with as few miles as possible but at the end of the day it’s just a number and I think a well maintained one with common issues sorted would trump one with slightly less miles.

Ideally I’m looking for one that has had all the issues done so I can just enjoy it rather than worry about it.

Cheers :thumbs:

Stiggles
2nd Gear

Post by Stiggles » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:37 am

These engines are more than capable of high miles, 140k on ours currently with mostly just common faults. Never had to replace the clutch which I've seen can be an issue.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:50 am

If you look after them, they are good for it. Same as most modern engines. I’ve seen highly tuned B5 S4’s over 250k miles that get abused regularly and over 200k on high revving E46 M3’s. Some of the B7 RS4’s are over 180k miles now too. There is a video on YouTube with an E55 AMG with over 400k miles and Matt Farah (Smoking Tire) has a Lexus L400 V8 on just short of 1 million miles.

I’ve had a few RS4’s, both high and low mileage and the high mileage ones are as good, enough better. Old cars now, so do require decent maintenance, replacement of perishable rubbers and consumables regardless of mileage.

I’ve also had a new AMG and that was plagued with faults.

The worst thing for these cars is lack of use.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”